Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade advice 763 or 764?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold
Upgrade advice 763 or 764?

I'm flying IAD-GVA on PMUA 767-300 and GVA-EWR on a PMCO 767-400ER, having just spent most of my miles on reward travel for my entire family this Christmas (hopefully the world doesn't end on 12/21), I only have enough miles left to upgrade (+copay) on either the outbound or the inbound, which one should I go for?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:00 pm

I would upgrade the GVA-EWR flight since i can actually sleep in E+ on united and the GVA-EWR is a day flight and longer on the way back so time would go by faster in BF,also the food is better.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pmlflyer
I would upgrade the GVA-EWR flight since i can actually sleep in E+ on united and the GVA-EWR is a day flight and longer on the way back so time would go by faster in BF,also the food is better.
Personally, I would upgrade on the PMUA 763 night flight, since that's when the comfort of the seat is most important.

Plus, the PMUA 763 seats are full lie-flat, while the 764 will most likely still have the old Barcalounger seats, as the conversion to lie-flat will not be complete till the end of 2012.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Upgrade the 763: overnight flight and guaranteed lie flat. The 764s are mostly the ancient seats at this point.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:46 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Plus, the PMUA 763 seats are full lie-flat, while the 764 will most likely still have the old Barcalounger seats, as the conversion to lie-flat will not be complete till the end of 2012.
Do you think completion will be delayed? In theory with a target completion of Dec 2012 for the 764 conversion, by Christmas the only 764s flying will be upgraded. The last 764 should be in HKG getting its conversion done, right?

Note: the OP said they were flying in late December 2012.

Last edited by lensman; Feb 15, 2012 at 1:47 am Reason: added clarification about OPs flight dates
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Whoops sorry for not being clear, I'm flying to GVA this week. I only mentioned Christmas because I used almost all my miles to book first class flights for my entire family during that time, so I only have enough to upgrade either IAD-GVA or GVA-EWR.

Looks like I'll try to upgrade IAD-GVA, can I do this at the gate at IAD or should I do it at the United Club in HNL or DEN?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Whoops sorry for not being clear, I'm flying to GVA this week. I only mentioned Christmas because I used almost all my miles to book first class flights for my entire family during that time, so I only have enough to upgrade either IAD-GVA or GVA-EWR.

Looks like I'll try to upgrade IAD-GVA, can I do this at the gate at IAD or should I do it at the United Club in HNL or DEN?
Go on-line and apply for the upgrade now!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lensman
Do you think completion will be delayed? In theory with a target completion of Dec 2012 for the 764 conversion, by Christmas the only 764s flying will be upgraded. The last 764 should be in HKG getting its conversion done, right?

Note: the OP said they were flying in late December 2012.
The GVA travel is this week. There's only 1 or 2 converted 764s.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Update

So I visit the United Club at IAD and ask if they can upgrade me on the 763 IAD-GVA. The agent can't seem to find my reservation and it turns out that I'm no longer in the seat I selected... for some reason I was upgraded! She calls the gate and they say that it's because coach was way overbooked.

When I got on the plane I heard a lot of people (myself included) on their cell phones taking about their free upgrade. So I saved 20,000 miles and $550. Woohoo! BTW, it was my first time in a lie flat on United, and although I've heard that some people don't like this seat, I thought it was absolutely amazing.

The 764ER GVA-EWR was one of the upgraded ones (#56 I think). They did not let me upgrade at the gate with miles + co-pay, so they missed out on $550 and I think there were still 3 seats available at take-off. I wonder why they didn't take my money.

Oh well, the flight was 30-40% empty so I got a row to myself and got to lie down. Love the new AVOD, it's touchscreen and had over 100 movies! The resolution kinda sucked though. The FAs were Houston/Newark based and they were very friendly, especially after I gave them some Luxemburgerli

All in all, it was a great MR (except for EWR-SFO on a 737, I was very uncomfortable for 5.75 hours, blech).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.