FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   $1264 for LAX-IAH Economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1314011-1264-lax-iah-economy.html)

davewang202 Feb 14, 2012 1:55 am

$1264 for LAX-IAH Economy?

I've seen a few threads where people ask about why certain flights are rather pricy. Well, I've nor run into a case where I'm trying to get from LAX to Houston, and on one hand, I've got Southwest willing to sell me direct, round trip tickets for $300 (March 11~12), and Continental's web site is asking for $1264 for similar direct, round trip tickets. Granted, the fare books into M class, and given that I'm a 1K member, I would presumably book directly into F, if F seats are available. However, in this case I'd rather not have that option of booking into F, as the $936 dollar difference is a tad bit difficult to justify.

Can someone that normally fly this flight comment on whether the price will eventually drop to something more reasonable, or must I go with Southwest on this trip?

FlyerChrisK Feb 14, 2012 6:55 am

Welcome to CO's fortress hub pricing style.

sbm12 Feb 14, 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 18012452)
Welcome to CO's fortress hub pricing style.

This is hardly unique to CO. US, AA, DL and UA all do it and have done it for years. But, yes, when there is no competition in the non-stop market (and UA often considers EWR different than JFK/LGA and IAH different than HOU in this regard) the minimum stay requirements or other fare rules often translate into higher fares.

eleeut Feb 14, 2012 7:09 am

if trying to stay w/ *A, US has non-direct routings in the mid-400s.

aacharya Feb 14, 2012 8:30 am

We already have a thread on "why is this fare so expensive".

And we've already answered that question....

Now if only folks posted "wow -great fare" threads.

belfordrocks Feb 14, 2012 3:20 pm

They do that already... in the mileage run forums... ;)

SFO777 Feb 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Try pricing LAX-IAH-FLL/TPA

channa Feb 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18012489)
This is hardly unique to CO. US, AA, DL and UA all do it and have done it for years. But, yes, when there is no competition in the non-stop market (and UA often considers EWR different than JFK/LGA and IAH different than HOU in this regard) the minimum stay requirements or other fare rules often translate into higher fares.

The practice may not be unique to CO, but it seems more common on CO because CO's hubs are more fortressed than other airlines.

SFO777 Feb 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18016094)
The practice may not be unique to CO, but it seems more common on CO because CO's hubs are more fortressed than other airlines.

Same thing with DL and DTW/MSP.
SFO-DTW non-stop is almost always $600+ OW in Y, although "only" about $750 OW in F (A).
Of course SFO-DTW-MKE/CMH/TPA/FLL/etc. can be purchased for $150 OW in Y, $325-$425 OW in F.

Steve M Feb 14, 2012 4:51 pm

I continue to be amused by such posts. When there's a big discrepancy in prices among carriers for the same route, someone inevitably posts "Why are the prices so different?" When the prices are the same, someone else will post "There's obviously collusion!"

The short answer is that the fares are based on supply and demand, and this may differ between carriers. The OP's observation that as a 1K, they'd likely be flying in F, that's probably a big part of it: I suspect that very few people without status are buying that fare. The occasional travelers are all going to take WN on that route if that price difference stays the same. Also, it's possible that CO won't sell any of those seats that price until the week before the flight, at which point WN's fare will be much higher.

Since both WN and CO are profitable carriers, one has to assume that they've each got their fare policies worked out to a way that benefits them.

TWA Fan 1 Feb 14, 2012 5:59 pm

That's Nuthin'!

$1,264 for LAX-IAH in economy?

That's a bargain!

How about $1,799 on CoEx (ERJ-145) EWR-YQB? that's 441 miles each way.

Can you say RASM, baby? Yeah!!!

P.S.: I have, on occasion, been forced to buy that ticket...obviously there is no competition on that route.

At that price per mile, it would make LAX-IAH cost $4,891.

And not only is there no upgrade, you barely get a plastic cup of soda 80% filled with ice and a 0.75-ounce bag of pretzels...

LilZeppelin Feb 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 18015904)
Try pricing LAX-IAH-FLL/TPA

or -BOS/BWI/CMH/STL... For the return, try IAH-SFO-BUR at 236$ or IAH-MSY-LAX at $214...

davewang202 Feb 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Actually I made the post to see if there's relief from the pricing, not really to complain. I kind of understood the "no competition = high price" thing, but as I've only recently (in the last year) begun to fly at a rate of 100,000+ miles per year, I've actually not run into this kind of fare, where it's way out of whack. So I did get a bit of a sticker shock. In any case, I've been told of a few ways around the $1264 - all around $500 ish, not as good as $300, but at least within the realm of plausibility. :)

I've been told that Austin is nice this time of year. :p

davewang202 Feb 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 18016534)
$1,264 for LAX-IAH in economy?

That's a bargain!

How about $1,799 on CoEx (ERJ-145) EWR-YQB? that's 441 miles each way.

Can you say RASM, baby? Yeah!!!

P.S.: I have, on occasion, been forced to buy that ticket...obviously there is no competition on that route.

At that price per mile, it would make LAX-IAH cost $4,891.

And not only is there no upgrade, you barely get a plastic cup of soda 80% filled with ice and a 0.75-ounce bag of pretzels...

Wow. :eek:

fastair Feb 15, 2012 12:32 am

Artifically capping the "last seat availability prices" below what the market is willing to pay is one of WN's weaker points. If there is demand for a product that is in short supply, a fare cap is not the most effective way to market your product. That said, the conusmer paying 1200 bucks when they can pay $300 is not necessarily good for the airline (as he may choose the $300 route,) but if the aircraft is oversold, then the $1200 could be a fair deal for all, when the airline needs to pay someone to get off. If WN was sold out, and time was important, say for an exec at a major company, the $1200 asking price might be a reasonable price to pay.

Supply and demand...such powerful forces.

Austin is fine, if your schedule allows the flexability of a connection/alternate airport. Not every traveler has their own needs and since there are choice is the market, the consumer can choose what is best for him/her. That doesn't mean that another consumer might value their time and reiability of a non-stop to the point of a large premium in fare.