ClubAcela access with guest?

Old Feb 13, 12, 4:04 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
ClubAcela access with guest?

Hi all,

As a United Club member, can I bring 1 guest with me into the ClubAcela when traveling Amtrak, or is admission for the cardholder alone only?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 12, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Did you try their website? It's pretty clear...

Continental Presidentís Club Members may be accompanied by two business associates. One business associate may accompany Business First customers.
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Did you try their website? It's pretty clear...
Thanks. I had only checked Continental's website, since my membership comes from CO.
Continental only said the following, with no mention of guests:

When traveling into or out of New York Pennsylvania Station, Continental Presidents Club members and BusinessFirst customers are offered complimentary access to Amtraks in-station First Class lounge ClubAcela. Continental passengers are required to show proof of same-day travel.
On Amtrak's website, does "business associate" just mean "guest," or does Amtrak actually enforce the requirement of being a "business associate"?
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:31 pm

I'm curious if the Amtrak agents will accept it now that it says 'United Club' instead of 'Presidents Club.'

Also interesting the CO site says it's for NYP only for same day CO travel only, while Amtrak makes it appear all clubs are eligible and regardless of CO travel plans.
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I used the Washington, DC Acela club last month on a pure Amtrak itinerary with my UC card and was able to get Mrs. NJcommodore in as well.
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I used the NYC Acela Lounge last week without any problems with my new UnitedClub card. They allowed up to 2 guests. They didn't ask to see an Amtrak ticket.
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
I'm curious if the Amtrak agents will accept it now that it says 'United Club' instead of 'Presidents Club.'
Fortunately (but also sadly), it seems that Amtrak has its act together with regard to club access after the UACO merger, much more so than UACO has its own act together. You know, with so many PMUA club agents kicking out Amtrak S+ members left and right, accusing S+ members of playing "pranks," or admitting them with sarcastic comments that even "Greyhound members" would soon be admitted.
Old Feb 14, 12, 6:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
I used the NYC Acela Lounge last week without any problems with my new UnitedClub card. They allowed up to 2 guests. They didn't ask to see an Amtrak ticket.
You lucked out. I was there in mid January traveling NJ Transit and wasn't admitted. Was told "you have to have an Amtrak ticket."

Not a big deal, since weekdays NJ trains run fairly often, especially at peak times. If for some reason (I can't imagine why) I really wanted to use the Club, I'd buy an Amtrak ticket to somewhere, then get my money back (they're typically refundable).
Old Feb 14, 12, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
You lucked out. I was there in mid January traveling NJ Transit and wasn't admitted. Was told "you have to have an Amtrak ticket."

Not a big deal, since weekdays NJ trains run fairly often, especially at peak times. If for some reason (I can't imagine why) I really wanted to use the Club, I'd buy an Amtrak ticket to somewhere, then get my money back (they're typically refundable).
I think now that UA and Amtrak have sorted out their relationship, the policy did change. I think now you only need to show a ticket is if you don't have a UnitedClub card and are seeking admission through your BusinessFirst ticket perk and an Amtrak segment is part of your itinerary.

I've also used the Philly 30th Street Station several times now with my UnitedClub card. But I only go there if I'm taking a train and thereby have an Amtrak ticket to show.
Old Feb 14, 12, 11:04 am

Upgraded Snacks

...and for what it's worth, ClubAcela has really upgraded their snacks ...so much so it puts UA to shame. In the morning, they have the Sara Lee muffins, danish, and poundcake in single-serve packages and in the evening they have medium-sized boxes of Entenmann's chocolate chip cookies along with the earlier Sara Lee Carbs....and chip offerings (potato chips & SunChips.) When I saw the stack of cookie boxes in there, I thought I hit frequent traveler lounge gold.

So if you're a UnitedClub card holder and in NY Penn for whatever reason, I encourage you to check it out
Old Feb 14, 12, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
I think now that UA and Amtrak have sorted out their relationship, the policy did change. I think now you only need to show a ticket is if you don't have a UnitedClub card and are seeking admission through your BusinessFirst ticket perk and an Amtrak segment is part of your itinerary.
Wait, what? So I can drop by the CA at Penn Station anytime, and hang out there / eat free snacks?
Old Feb 14, 12, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer View Post
Wait, what? So I can drop by the CA at Penn Station anytime, and hang out there / eat free snacks?
Yup, I do it all the time. Thought I have a 2V_S+ card too The best part of ClubAcela in NY Penn: CLEAN BATHROOM.
Old May 11, 12, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ QPP
Do usual UC access rules apply (eg *G with same day ticket?)
Old May 11, 12, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c1mth0g View Post
Do usual UC access rules apply (eg *G with same day ticket?)
I've been told inconsistent things. But I don't think *G works.

One agent told me no ticket of any kind required (just your UA Club membership).

The sign also says that you can get in with a UA ticket in BusinessFirst.

But in the most extreme instance, one agent kicked me out, saying that you need both a UA Club membership and a same-day UA ticket in BusinessFirst. I think she must have been crazy or making it up. Because if a BF ticket gets you in on its own, why would a UA Club card require a BF ticket (as opposed to a Y ticket)? That would mean that the UA Club card is worthless...

This agent told me that the website was wrong, and she was right, and that she pointed to a spot behind the counter where she said she had a "memo" that said you need both a UA Club card and a same-day BF ticket. But on a different day, I asked a different CA agent what the memo said, and she was confused, and said she had never heard of such a memo! She said a United Club card alone was enough, without any Amtrak or United ticket.
Old May 16, 12, 12:25 pm

I've been in & out of the DC, Philly, and NYC Amtrak lounges a handful of times over the last 4 weeks and had no issues getting access for myself or guests at any. In Philly, I show my ticket so they know to get me on the right elevator for departure, but in DC and NYC, I haven't been asked to see an Amtrak ticket with my United Club card.

And I agree with the other poster: free snacks/drinks + clean bathroom is a nice perk to have when waiting in Penn Station for a train.

Search this Thread