Gold Elite Companion Question

Old Feb 13, 12, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Gold Elite Companion Question

I will be traveling at the end of March on route which I'm quite sure I will be upgraded. I am Gold elite and my companion is not elite. I will split the reservation so we have two different confirmation numbers. Let's say I get upgraded 48 hours before the flight. At this point, how can I get my companion upgraded if there are open seats at this point? Do I call at this point? I understand because of the merger things are changing (as usually it will be 2 hours before flight only, however post merger there are new rules), so I would like to be clear on best chance on getting my companion upgraded also.

I appreciate the help. Thanks

Last edited by ContinentalSilver11; Feb 13, 12 at 2:34 pm
Old Feb 13, 12, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlson
Does anyone know how the upgrades of travel companions will work when the systems are fully merged? ....
This may be one of the few things that UA/CO picked the best of best (at least from the companion pov)
On the same PNR, a single companion , will have the same status priority as the elite and eligible for Complimentary Upgrades at the same time window as the elite (PMUA approach). The status inheritance with also be true at the gate (improvement on PMUA, similar to PMCO).

Not on the same PNR, the companion can be added to the upgrade list at the airport at the elite's status level (PMCO approach).

Upgrade benefits in the 2012 MileagePlus program

Quote:
Companion policy

In 2012, a Premier member may continue to sponsor any MileagePlus member using award miles, a Global Premier Upgrade or a Regional Premier Upgrade, even if they are not traveling on the same reservation. In addition, one companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member will also be eligible for a Complimentary Premier Upgrade on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on day of departure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
...Companion CPUs for all Premiers. Premiers at all levels will be able to extend their CPUs to one travel companion in the same reservation, including in the advance clearance window and with Y/B/M instant upgrades. This will happen automatically when the Premier reservation includes a single companion. In cases where there are more than two people in the reservation, or where the companion is in a separate reservation, the companion upgrade may be designated at the airport. .....

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
Quote:
..... Hi nova08, we are still working the details as to how companions that were divided out of reservations will be handled in the Complimentary Premier Upgrade (CPU) automated process. Our goal is for the CPU automated process to have a ‘memory’ of the divide, and upgrade at the same priority as the sponsoring member. As for companions that are in separate reservations (that were not divided from the sponsoring member) and all other cases where clearance is deferred to the gate standby clearance, companions will clear at a priority below all other members in that tier. As a reminder, the airport upgrade standby list only applies only after check-in has cut off and CPU automated processing is closed.

If you have a reservation with 2 or more people , you will have the ability to divide it such that there is only one companion. This option will be offered online or by contacting us. If getting yourself and your companion upgraded as part of the automatic CPU process, then this would be the way to go.

The upgrade benefit for these fares only applies to Premier members and up to one companion.

Scott O'Leary
United Airlines
Old Feb 13, 12, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blue47 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlson
Does anyone know how the upgrades of travel companions will work when the systems are fully merged? ....
This may be one of the few things that UA/CO picked the best of best (at least from the companion pov)
On the same PNR, a single companion , will have the same status priority as the elite and eligible for Complimentary Upgrades at the same time window as the elite (PMUA approach). The status inheritance with also be true at the gate (improvement on PMUA, similar to PMCO).

Not on the same PNR, the companion can be added to the upgrade list at the airport at the elite's status level (PMCO approach).

Upgrade benefits in the 2012 MileagePlus program

Quote:
Companion policy

In 2012, a Premier member may continue to sponsor any MileagePlus member using award miles, a Global Premier Upgrade or a Regional Premier Upgrade, even if they are not traveling on the same reservation. In addition, one companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member will also be eligible for a Complimentary Premier Upgrade on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on day of departure.
Quote:
...Companion CPUs for all Premiers. Premiers at all levels will be able to extend their CPUs to one travel companion in the same reservation, including in the advance clearance window and with Y/B/M instant upgrades. This will happen automatically when the Premier reservation includes a single companion. In cases where there are more than two people in the reservation, or where the companion is in a separate reservation, the companion upgrade may be designated at the airport. .....

Scott O’Leary
United Airlines
Quote:
..... Hi nova08, we are still working the details as to how companions that were divided out of reservations will be handled in the Complimentary Premier Upgrade (CPU) automated process. Our goal is for the CPU automated process to have a ‘memory’ of the divide, and upgrade at the same priority as the sponsoring member. As for companions that are in separate reservations (that were not divided from the sponsoring member) and all other cases where clearance is deferred to the gate standby clearance, companions will clear at a priority below all other members in that tier. As a reminder, the airport upgrade standby list only applies only after check-in has cut off and CPU automated processing is closed.

If you have a reservation with 2 or more people , you will have the ability to divide it such that there is only one companion. This option will be offered online or by contacting us. If getting yourself and your companion upgraded as part of the automatic CPU process, then this would be the way to go.

The upgrade benefit for these fares only applies to Premier members and up to one companion.

Scott O'Leary
United Airlines
thank you. So if I book tomorrow on continental.com using my onepass number, I should split the reservation immediately or wait to the systems merge? the systems are merging March 1, correct?

Thanks again
Old Feb 13, 12, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11 View Post
thank you. So if I book tomorrow on continental.com using my onepass number, I should split the reservation immediately or wait to the systems merge? the systems are merging March 1, correct?

Thanks again
Wait and dont split
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edcho View Post
Wait and dont split
Do we think there will be a difference if we use onepass number vs mileage plus number, or this will make no difference?

Thanks again
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
There is a route that you are almost sure you will be upgraded on?! As a Gold on the NEW United you are now 4th tier. Flights that were once easy are very difficult for me even as a Platinum. I wish you luck, but do not get your hopes up too high.
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
There is a route that you are almost sure you will be upgraded on?! As a Gold on the NEW United you are now 4th tier. Flights that were once easy are very difficult for me even as a Platinum. I wish you luck, but do not get your hopes up too high.
thank you. I had a 90% upgrade rate last year as silver, so we will see if it continues.
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11 View Post
thank you. I had a 90% upgrade rate last year as silver, so we will see if it continues.
Were you buying Y and B?
what are your main routes?

Search this Thread