Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie here- Looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Newbie here- Looking for advice!

Hello everyone! Thank you in advance for reading this.

I am new to credit cards flying and point systems etc so please go easy on me as I learn. I just got approved for a "OnePass Plus" card and want to make the best of it. I plan on taking a trip out of the country with my family (2 adults 2 kids needing seats 1 lap) thus I wanted to get a card that would rack up miles for my everyday purchases to increase my chances of not having to pay for 4 tickets in whole.

I am a bit confused with the rewards though. I have figured out that if you have a One Pass/ Milage plus account and shop through their link on certain sites you can get points, but how does the card work? Do I get certain points on every purchase regardless of where with the card? Does it matter if I shop through the link without the card? For instance, lets say I would like to make a best buy purchase. If I shop through the site to best buy and pay with a debit card, would the benefits of shopping directly on the site with the OnePass card be the same? I have a few things that I would like to buy but have been holding out for the physical card to get points for it. I don't need the "credit" per say as I plan on paying the balance in full before the end of the cycle, but if the store I plan on shopping through is on the site, would it matter if I didn't use my OnePass card for the purchases, in regards to how many points I would get?

I also got this card before reading about the merger, and that has me so confused as well. What advice/tips would you offer? I am working on my credit and plan on purchasing a vehicle this summer so I'm not looking to open more accounts anytime soon.

Last edited by Jeimygirl; Feb 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I wouldn't worry about the merger. That will take care of itself in the near future.
You will earn 1 mile for each $1 charged to your card, no matter where the car is used. These miles will be posted monthly, at the time when your statement period closes.
You can gain some extra miles by signing up for United's dining program and registering your card. If you fill out a profile, you will receive a bonus of 1,000 miles. Once registered, you receive an extra 3-5 miles for each $1 spent at appropriate times at the restaurants that participate in the program. You also earn the usual 1 mile per $1 from the credit card itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.