F Class Buy-Up at check-in for a Platinum

Old Feb 9, 12, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
F Class Buy-Up at check-in for a Platinum

Checked in for my MCO-EWR-SEA flight on 2/10/12 today and got offered a $169 buy up for my un-cleared EWR-SEA portion. It was the very last seat! Yesterday I watched as RN/R 9 went to zero and I did not get upgraded. Then I watched as 16/20 booked turned into 19/20 booked. I think $169 is a great deal but I still wonder how F booked 7/20 yesterday turns into a paid upgrade for a Platinum. It also mentioned that price is based on status. Competition is tough out there so I took it but boy do I miss where R9 and Platinum was a sure upgrade.
Old Feb 9, 12, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
today and got offered a $169 buy up for my un-cleared EWR-SEA portion. Yesterday I watched as RN/R 9 went to zero and I did not get upgraded. Then I watched as 16/20 booked turned into 19/20 booked. I think $169 is a great deal but I still wonder how F booked 7/20 yesterday turns into a paid upgrade for a Platinum.I miss where R9 and Platinum was a sure upgrade.

Don't forget that the offer you got was probably offered to everyone who checked in on line - although the rumors are the price may vary slightly. If a GM flying on business that has 2 bags on that flight, and one that's either slightly oversized or over 50lbs, you can bet that it was close to or almost cheaper to buy up to 1st at 169 - than to simply pay bag fees. It would be a no brainer, especially if the GM had the company foot the bill. Even if it was a leisure traveler, 169 for a meal, and a better seat is pretty enticing to a lot of people.

While it's certainly a good thing for UACO to boost revenue - there are several threads on this forum of people who are loyal flyers, and are in the same boat as both of us watching the upgrades dwindle and disappear, and still sitting in Y.

Last edited by UAgeek71; Feb 9, 12 at 12:25 pm Reason: spelling...
Old Feb 9, 12, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
Amen. I feel for you. I just used two regionals on a mileage run due to not wanting to chance coach in transcon. flights.
Old Feb 9, 12, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, MR Gold
Unreal. (What was your fare basis btw?)

It's one thing to charge ~$400 for a transcon upgrade ... but this?!
Old Feb 9, 12, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
welcome to the new continental!
Old Feb 9, 12, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
I had a buy up offer for DCA-IAH two weeks ago on Continental from a B class fare. I had a Regional Upgrade applied and was probably going to clear, but I was sick of sitting in Coach so I bit.

Price of $319, which was higher than the ToD upgrades many others reported seeing.
Old Feb 9, 12, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Checked in for my MCO-EWR-SEA flight on 2/10/12 today and got offered a $169 buy up for my un-cleared EWR-SEA portion. It was the very last seat! Yesterday I watched as RN/R 9 went to zero and I did not get upgraded. Then I watched as 16/20 booked turned into 19/20 booked. I think $169 is a great deal but I still wonder how F booked 7/20 yesterday turns into a paid upgrade for a Platinum. It also mentioned that price is based on status. Competition is tough out there so I took it but boy do I miss where R9 and Platinum was a sure upgrade.
Difference between an H and an M r/t is $370, so $169 is correct only IF you're on a W or higher.

It *should* be more like $350 or so if you were on say a W fare.

The CO UG buy-up rule book seems to be out the window at this point.
Old Feb 9, 12, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
B fare

Originally Posted by gdemander View Post
I had a buy up offer for DCA-IAH two weeks ago on Continental from a B class fare. I had a Regional Upgrade applied and was probably going to clear, but I was sick of sitting in Coach so I bit.

Price of $319, which was higher than the ToD upgrades many others reported seeing.
on a B fare, why weren't you upgraded for free?
Old Feb 9, 12, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I was on an S fare. It did mention that the price was based on status. As much as I feel it's a good price, it is because of the low price I had to buy it at all. Looks like 3 others already but at it.
Old Feb 9, 12, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good deal for OP and for UA. A TCON UG for $169 is a steal. And to UA, rather than handing out freebies (UDU), the carrier deriving revenue. Hopefully if they can sell more and give away less, the quality of the F product might improve.
Old Feb 9, 12, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That is very much like the price I was asked to pay for the upgrade on EWR to ORD a few hours before my flight earlier this year. I didn't bite and the cabin was full.

I had considered it as it was a mileage ticket but wasn't sure if it would lead to that award ticket sector being good toward mileage earning or not.

With practices like this I really have a lot less interest in renewing 1k status and will subsequently engage in shifting business away from UA's program.
Old Feb 9, 12, 2:17 pm

I had this same problem last week. $169 TOD price, SEA-EWR.

See my post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17944987-post41.html
Old Feb 9, 12, 3:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by nmenaker:17984238

on a B fare, why weren't you upgraded for free?
The B upgrades are still capacity controlled. When I had purchased the ticket first was full. A first seat only became available 18 hours before departure through someone either cancelling or changing their flight. B auto upgradings, AFAIK, are not available T-24. But I could be wrong. Regardless, it was not available for me at the time.

Last edited by gdemander; Feb 9, 12 at 3:51 pm
Old Feb 9, 12, 4:21 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by United757 View Post
I had this same problem last week. $169 TOD price, SEA-EWR.

See my post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17944987-post41.html
I would have taken the bait, I like the CO transcon product more than the UA except for the lack of Ch 9.

Flying EWR-LAX the flight I've been on flightes loaded with the INTL dinner which is really nice!
Old Feb 9, 12, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Good deal for OP and for UA. A TCON UG for $169 is a steal. And to UA, rather than handing out freebies (UDU), the carrier deriving revenue. Hopefully if they can sell more and give away less, the quality of the F product might improve.
I will file this away in my hope chest next to "hopefully now that UA has access to an expanded fleet of various sizes of 737, they will stop operating the 954-mile SEA-LAX flight with 50-passenger regional jets and restore mainline service".

Search this Thread