Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F Class Buy-Up at check-in for a Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
If the $169 is a buy up then its I would have waited to be upgraded but if it was an upgrade offer then it I would.

Quick question: If you are a Plat why did the upgrade not clear 3 days before the flight.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
It just depends on how important the upgrade is or how much money you have to blow. I was next to a PrePlt. who was offered the same seat I was 469 dollars on as CO flight from EWR-ORD on a tuesday around 2pm. This was the upgrade fee. We both laughed in the exit row and swiped our credit card and enjoyed 2 hours of direct tv for 5 bucks and thought who the heck would pay that.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by tale
If the $169 is a buy up then its I would have waited to be upgraded but if it was an upgrade offer then it I would.

Quick question: If you are a Plat why did the upgrade not clear 3 days before the flight.
I guess 9 of you FTers were ahead of me
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Good deal for OP and for UA. A TCON UG for $169 is a steal. And to UA, rather than handing out freebies (UDU), the carrier deriving revenue. Hopefully if they can sell more and give away less, the quality of the F product might improve.
The reality is that it's a balancing act.

UA can solicit for $169 TCON upgrades as much as they choose and probably realize some additional revenue for those particular flights. However, the more the FF community realizes that these offers undermine their FF upgrade benefits the less the FF program is worth to them.

There is a cost in terms of long term loyalty and future business in selling cheap upgrades to everyone before upgrading FF customers. To simply hope that a bit of extra cash now will somehow improve the flying experience for all of us is short sighted.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
It's apparently all about cash these days at UACO, folks. Period.

I, for one, am not even going to try and renew my elite status from here on out.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
RIP

Originally Posted by nmenaker
welcome to the new continental!
CO as we new it is long deceased

This is the new UACO & it sucks eggs

Jeffie & his friends only count the beans

I don't expect him to be around very long

but he will leave a wake of destruction
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
These "tens of dollars" upgrades are going to cause thousands of departures (ToDs)from the ranks of their FF's.

The lack of acknowledgement that this is an official process erodes loyalty.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
Has anyone gotten an offer from NC to upgrade to F on a three class jet. I Have United 907 this week which is showing XF5/NC5 and F6 on the boards. I have never been in 1st on a Three class jet.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aero0729
Checked in for my MCO-EWR-SEA flight on 2/10/12 today and got offered a $169 buy up for my un-cleared EWR-SEA portion. It was the very last seat! Yesterday I watched as RN/R 9 went to zero and I did not get upgraded. Then I watched as 16/20 booked turned into 19/20 booked. I think $169 is a great deal but I still wonder how F booked 7/20 yesterday turns into a paid upgrade for a Platinum. It also mentioned that price is based on status. Competition is tough out there so I took it but boy do I miss where R9 and Platinum was a sure upgrade.
Pretty much exact same thing happened to me for EWR-SEA for tomorrow 2/14. Right at T-24, it went from F9 R7 with F only booked to 10 down to only one seat left. No EUA. I'm still stuck at #1 on the list. The buy-up price offered for the last seat is $359.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Traveling on a U tomorrow from EWR-MIA. Buy up in advance was hovering around $150. Offered (and declined) at checkin for $99. F2.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Traveling on a U tomorrow from EWR-MIA. Buy up in advance was hovering around $150. Offered (and declined) at checkin for $99. F2.
Fare difference U to B of $308 (no M filed). So the first offer was legit (as usually seems to be the case pre-T-24); the 2nd one turned into a lil ol' TOD
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by aero0729
Checked in for my MCO-EWR-SEA flight on 2/10/12 today and got offered a $169 buy up for my un-cleared EWR-SEA portion. It was the very last seat! Yesterday I watched as RN/R 9 went to zero and I did not get upgraded. Then I watched as 16/20 booked turned into 19/20 booked. I think $169 is a great deal but I still wonder how F booked 7/20 yesterday turns into a paid upgrade for a Platinum. It also mentioned that price is based on status. Competition is tough out there so I took it but boy do I miss where R9 and Platinum was a sure upgrade.
I thought UAInsider said that these seats are only sold when the entire upgrade list is cleared? Did I misread that?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by TomA
I thought UAInsider said that these seats are only sold when the entire upgrade list is cleared? Did I misread that?
You did not misread but what they said should be happening is not what people are reporting here. The lack of transparency is what we are complaining about and the fact that UA is going against proclaimed policy is rubbing us the wrong way.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Flying EWR-DEN tomorrow on CO. At check in I was offered a buy up for $149. 25 people are on the UG wait list. I bit and bought it as I knew that I had no chance as a Plat on a V fare. It's a 752 and I know I'll like th lie flat for the 4.5 hour flight.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
Flying EWR-DEN tomorrow on CO. At check in I was offered a buy up for $149. 25 people are on the UG wait list. I bit and bought it as I knew that I had no chance as a Plat on a V fare. It's a 752 and I know I'll like th lie flat for the 4.5 hour flight.
While high these days for a TOD still no correlation to actual published fare difference buy-up rules - current V fares are about ~$250 o/w, no B/M filed on that at the moment, cheapest upgradeable is an H-up for ~$985 one way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.