Wiki Posts
Search

BF - B777 - Seat question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold
BF - B777 - Seat question

I am flying to HGK in BF next week. I wanted to connect my Ipad to the TV to watch my own programing.

1. Is this an option?
2. What cord do I need to have to do this?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There's some $40 cable that you can buy from Amazon that will allow you to connect. They may have one on board for sale, but I wouldn't risk getting that one.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold
The cord says it only works with iphone and ipod but not Ipads (specifically an Ipad 2). Do you know if this is still the case?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by halpie97
The cord says it only works with iphone and ipod but not Ipads (specifically an Ipad 2). Do you know if this is still the case?
I would not be at all surprised if this were still the case. The cable has a bit of circuitry in it to bypass the DRM rules and it has to know the hardware ID of the device. Apparently the newer models (both iPhone and iPad) have a new range of prefixes for the hardware IDs so the cables didn't work with them.

At least that's the explanation I remember from a previous thread a while back.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Can't you just plug it in the with the provided cable? whats the product on Amazon? I thought you could also get a USB device pre-loaded with content.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nycboy
Can't you just plug it in the with the provided cable? whats the product on Amazon? I thought you could also get a USB device pre-loaded with content.
The USB connection in the seat is only for charging the device, not for playing it on the IFE monitor.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
There's some $40 cable that you can buy from Amazon that will allow you to connect. They may have one on board for sale, but I wouldn't risk getting that one.
I got my cable on a UA flight. It is made by Griffin. Looks just like the ones on Amazon and Apple websites. Wouldn't you want to buy it onboard and test it right away? If it doesn't work, you can return it right there. Plus Amazon has $4 shipping charge and Apple website says ships in 1 - 2 months.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Wouldn't you want to buy it onboard and test it right away? If it doesn't work, you can return it right there.
Or they won't have it in stock or the FA doesn't know where on the cart it is or you have to wait 2-3 hours into the flight until they open the cart for purchases and you can flag down an FA to make the purchase. Plus, I'm not sure how they handle returns on duty-free stuff.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I am failry positive these cables will not work with iPads, only older-generation iPhones (3GS or earlier) and iPods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.