Search

Connecting ZRH CO-LX in 45 minutes?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Connecting ZRH CO-LX in 45 minutes?

Hey guys -

I am honeymooning in late August in Tanzania, and I'm getting there via Nairobi on an Award ticket.

After a schedule change made my original Virgin routing unusable (they bumped my LHR connection a day later), I called and managed to upgrade to F all the way there - UA 3-class to ZRH and LX to NBO. Customer service was great and while it took awhile for my agent to get a supervisor and sort it out, they did right by me.

However, I am worried about the 45 minute connection in ZRH, especially arriving on one metal and leaving on another.

Complicating things is my checked baggage - which will contain most of my climbing gear for an 8 day hike up Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Should I be worried?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

David
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:56 am

I would be worried unless you can arrange for LX to send a car to pick you up drop you off at immigration and then pick you up to take you straight to your next plane. from the looks of it then normally don't do that but they might consider it by the amount of time. your bag should be ok,LX pays alot of attention on the bags belonging to its F pasangers.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:41 pm

I would be worried if I had a 45 minute connection for domestic connection.. let alone international travel.

The good thing is that you are in F and I would hope that the worst that could happen to you is you miss your flight and catch the next one out after a lovely stay in ZRH. Not sure if that's what Swiss would do for you or not though. You might ask a mod to move this to the Star Alliance or Swiss forum.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Legal connection time is 40 minutes.

If all goes well - it should be doable, bot planes will depart from non-schengen

But you are missing out on ZRH F lounge
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:00 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Almost all longhaul flights arrive in and depart from Dock E in ZRH which is a separate terminal from the main part of the airport. There will be no need to change terminals or clear passport control, though you may have to go through security check. Unless your incoming flight is late, 45 mins should be enough for a longhaul to longhaul connection.

The FCL in ZRH is not like LH FCT/FCL, so you won't be missing much.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I frequently connect EWR-ZRH-TLV (UA-LX) on a 50 minute connection, in Y for both flights, with no problem, and that includes re-clearing security. UA is generally on time (or early,) and the walk isn't far at all. I get there with more than enough time to spare to hit the Panorama Lounge for a bit, get a quick bite to eat, coffee, internet...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

The FCL in ZRH is not like LH FCT/FCL, so you won't be missing much.
Agreed.. it was nice but not over the top. I did get a ride in vehicle to the plane which was nice treat.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Plat
I booked my mother-in-law for a 40-min connection FLR-ZRH-IAD last year and it worked like a treat - there are very few places I'd have the confidence to do this and ZRH is definitely top of the list - it's supremely organized, efficient and low-stress :-:

oh, and that was bus-gate to E-dock without onward boarding passes...she reported they even had time to pick up souvenirs...

Last edited by exupery; Feb 9, 2012 at 12:41 am Reason: added details
Old Feb 10, 2012, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Thanks for the input guys - my soon to be wife is no power traveler and these posts will help soothe her mind.

David
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by dgilman
Thanks for the input guys - my soon to be wife is no power traveler and these posts will help soothe her mind.

David
Congrats on the upcoming wedding!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Its one of the best airport in the world with true Swiss efficiency barring flight not being delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.