Ewr-hnl pillows & blankets

Old Feb 8, 12, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Spg Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, United 1k
Ewr-hnl pillows & blankets

Just got off my flight newark to honolulu. What happened to the business first pillows and blankets? They are now using the old domestic blankets and pillows.

I dont get it. Yes, its a "domestic" flight, but it costs as much as business first to europe and its longer than most europe flights.
Old Feb 8, 12, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by luxetraveller View Post
I dont get it. Yes, its a "domestic" flight, but it costs as much as business first to europe and its longer than most europe flights.
Outside of the occasional BF off-business-season sale, EWR to HNL in the front cabin DOES NOT cost as much as BF to Europe.

BF blankets and pillows have been gone for years on HI flights.

It's still the best seat to Hawaii.
Old Feb 8, 12, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Outside of the occasional BF off-business-season sale, EWR to HNL in the front cabin DOES NOT cost as much as BF to Europe.
Sure, EWR-HNL is longer than most TATL...

Then again, I can fly EWR-TLV (a 10.5-hour flight) in BF for about $3,600 on a commonly available Z fare.

On EWR-HNL (which is about 700 miles shorter), the best fare I can commonly find is about $3,200.

EWR-TLV is 30.19 cents per mile, while EWR-HNL is 32.24 cents/mile.

Obviously, the fares are highly variable, and it is very likely that PMCO sells a lot more full J fares TATL than they do on EWR-HNL.

Still, you would have to imagine that for $3 grand (and up), the least they could do is provide you a decent pillow and blanket.
Old Feb 8, 12, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
Sure, EWR-HNL is longer than most TATL...

Then again, I can fly EWR-TLV (a 10.5-hour flight) in BF for about $3,600 on a commonly available Z fare.

On EWR-HNL (which is about 700 miles shorter), the best fare I can commonly find is about $3,200.

EWR-TLV is 30.19 cents per mile, while EWR-HNL is 32.24 cents/mile.

Obviously, the fares are highly variable, and it is very likely that PMCO sells a lot more full J fares TATL than they do on EWR-HNL.

Still, you would have to imagine that for $3 grand (and up), the least they could do is provide you a decent pillow and blanket.
To HNL, CO really has no competition for its BF seat. It doesn't need to provide the same level of amenities. If another airline was to offer a similar seat w/ better blanket and pillow, CO might respond, but until then, no. CO doesn't see pillows and blankets as a function of what one pays, but an added cost that they do not need to provide to stay competitive.
Old Feb 8, 12, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To HNL, CO really has no competition for its BF seat. It doesn't need to provide the same level of amenities. If another airline was to offer a similar seat w/ better blanket and pillow, CO might respond, but until then, no. CO doesn't see pillows and blankets as a function of what one pays, but an added cost that they do not need to provide to stay competitive.
That's an excellent point, and is indisputable.

Still, it's different than the "cost" argument, since the cost of flying the premium cabin EWR-HNL is more or less comparable to flying the premium cabin TATL.

And that for an inferior product.
Old Feb 8, 12, 8:16 am

I travel a lot to Europe and I can guarantee CO's revenue/BF seat is far higher than avg EWR/HNL BF fare - and even higher on a cost/mile basis to most cities.
Old Feb 8, 12, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I travel a lot to Europe and I can guarantee CO's revenue/BF seat is far higher than avg EWR/HNL BF fare - and even higher on a cost/mile basis to most cities.
I'm sure you are right, but the issue, as you point out, is that CO simply doesn't have the competition on EWR-HNL, not the yield.

How much more can 40 better blankets and pillows a day possibly cost?

Remember, it's not even the cost of the BF blankets and pillows, it's the difference in cost between the standard domestic blankets & pillows and the BF versions...
Old Feb 8, 12, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
http://www.hawaiianair.com/Specialof...-pos1_20111115

it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. it's not on an alliance but you can earn/use on DL skymiles. the F seats on hawaiian are not lie flat, but then again neither are CO's. pricing hasn't been announced yet, but most of hawaiian's F fares out of the east coast are low 2000's whereas CO's is above 3K. i've never flown it before, but i also hear the service on hawaiian is really good. if i was on skymiles this would be a no-brainer for me if i wanted to go to HI. with disgruntled UA elites looking for a new alliance, i would imagine if HI was a frequent route for me and i was already pondering DL, this would be another nail in the coffin. not to mention for kayakers flying in Y, this would be pretty tempting. i'm curious to see if UA will even bother to react to this.
Old Feb 8, 12, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bob_the_d View Post
http://www.hawaiianair.com/Specialof...-pos1_20111115

it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. it's not on an alliance but you can earn/use on DL skymiles. the F seats on hawaiian are not lie flat, but then again neither are CO's. pricing hasn't been announced yet, but most of hawaiian's F fares out of the east coast are low 2000's whereas CO's is above 3K. i've never flown it before, but i also hear the service on hawaiian is really good. if i was on skymiles this would be a no-brainer for me if i wanted to go to HI. with disgruntled UA elites looking for a new alliance, i would imagine if HI was a frequent route for me and i was already pondering DL, this would be another nail in the coffin. not to mention for kayakers flying in Y, this would be pretty tempting. i'm curious to see if UA will even bother to react to this.
Sounds good, although as far as their premium class goes, it's really not even comparable to CO's 76H recliner.

The HA A330-200 that will fly JFK-HNL has 18 more or less domestic FC-style seats with 42" of seat pitch and 18.5" wide.

The CO Barcaloungers currently have 55" seat pitch and 21" width, and, IIRC, they will eventually be converted to full lie-flat as well.

Still, the HA route will add a modicum of competition to this route, but not enough, I think, to convince UaCo to bring back BF pillows and blankets.
Old Feb 8, 12, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
Sounds good, although as far as their premium class goes, it's really not even comparable to CO's 76H recliner.

The HA A330-200 that will fly JFK-HNL has 18 more or less domestic FC-style seats with 42" of seat pitch and 18.5" wide.

The CO Barcaloungers currently have 55" seat pitch and 21" width, and, IIRC, they will eventually be converted to full lie-flat as well.

Still, the HA route will add a modicum of competition to this route, but not enough, I think, to convince UaCo to bring back BF pillows and blankets.
hm. i wonder what the comparison of the soft product and service levels are like on the two? and the consistency of those levels as well.
Old Feb 8, 12, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hm. i wonder what the comparison of the soft product and service levels are like on the two? and the consistency of those levels as well.
The last time I flew HA, was inter-island in 1990...but I understand they receive very high marks for service.
Old Feb 8, 12, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Spg Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, United 1k
To HNL, CO really has no competition for its BF seat. It doesn't need to provide the same level of amenities. If another airline was to offer a similar seat w/ better blanket and pillow, CO might respond, but until then, no. CO doesn't see pillows and blankets as a function of what one pays, but an added cost that they do not need to provide to stay competitive
.[/QUOTE]

Unless there has been a recent change. Delta ath-hnl on an a330 has better seats than continental as well as better blankets and pillows.
Old Feb 8, 12, 5:48 pm

Programs: 2MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Hawaiian food is close to a draw with CO/UA, BUT, seats are a whole 'nother story. Certainly not as comfy as the "barcaloungers" on PMCO. not as much recline or footrest support. AVOD limited to a digiplayer that sits on your table top ( which means no room for anything else). Regardless, the $1k to $2K price difference from CO might mean some semblance of sanity may return to CO BF pricing.
Old Feb 8, 12, 5:50 pm

Programs: 2MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by luxetraveller View Post
To HNL, CO really has no competition for its BF seat. It doesn't need to provide the same level of amenities. If another airline was to offer a similar seat w/ better blanket and pillow, CO might respond, but until then, no. CO doesn't see pillows and blankets as a function of what one pays, but an added cost that they do not need to provide to stay competitive
Unless there has been a recent change. Delta ath-hnl on an a330 has better seats than continental as well as better blankets and pillows.[/QUOTE]

Roger that. And add AA to the mix. Great seat, Sam Choy menu, and a REAL pillow and cushy duvet.
Old Feb 11, 12, 1:40 am

Programs: EY S, AAdv, SQKris. SPG G, Hhonors Diamond, Accor Plat, Carlsson G, Hyatt plat, IHG Spire elite...
I'm curious, what is the best *A business seat out of Hawaii to the US (East coast prefferable)

I'm looking to do a BMI award booking and would like a flat bed if poss.

I can find seats on HNL-DEN on a CO 767-400, will this be the new BF seat by Jan '13?

Search this Thread