Wiki Posts
Search

using regional and system upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
using regional and system upgrades

Apologize in advance if this has been addressed but I could not find.

1) to use a regional upgrade, is there a way to put myself on the upgrade waiting list through continental.com or do I need to call?

2) for system wide upgrade, I understand that the fare has to be W or higher to use the 2011 SWUs. Is there a way to search on continental.com which flights are available for upgrade before paying for the more expensive fare? or do I just have to pay the higher fare and take my chances?

thanks in advance
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:17 pm

Once the reservation is made and e-ticketed, pull it up on continental.com and choose the 'Upgrade this reservation' link when it's displaying your travel summary. They default tab is the 'buy up' to first class, but the 2nd tab, 'Use Miles to upgrade' gives you the option of using miles or RDU/SWU upgrades if they're in your account.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To answer #2, search for the flights you are interested in. On the search results screen there is an entry in the right-most column with the words "Fare Class" that is a hyperlink. Click it and the full fare bucket information will be displayed. If there is R or RN inventory available then that flight can be upgraded.

If you have GreaseMonkey or a compatible browser there's also a script here that makes it even easier to see the details.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Originally Posted by tehiota
Once the reservation is made and e-ticketed, pull it up on continental.com and choose the 'Upgrade this reservation' link when it's displaying your travel summary. They default tab is the 'buy up' to first class, but the 2nd tab, 'Use Miles to upgrade' gives you the option of using miles or RDU/SWU upgrades if they're in your account.
That is the way it is supposed to work, though when I've tried this a number of times for both SWUs and RWUs during the last few weeks, co.com has cratered in the final step of the process and I've had to call. One agent told me "welcome to merger mania."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.