Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade offer $59 EWR to LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Upgrade offer $59 EWR to LAX

This just seems so wrong. But I was able to take advantage of it. Flying EWR to LAX. Checked in at T-24 got the boarding pass for my exit row seat. Flight was pretty full, FC had one seat open. Added to the upgrade list as usual.

Five hours later I decided to check my reservation on my iphone using UA App. Went to check in, reprint boarding pass, and noticed an offer to upgrade to FC for $59. Thought, that is odd. FC has been almost full for the last week or so and they weren't offering upgrades using miles. And the cost to pay for an upgrade was $450. And it was five hours since the flight opened for checkin. But I tried it, and I upgraded for $59. I was high on the UG list anyway, so maybe I would have got it for free, but I was on a W fare. I only paid $150 for the flight!. And now I'm sitting in FC for only $59! On a 6+ hour flight!

I don't know if the UG offer was made available to anybody checking in. I would think someone would have taken the offer due to the low price. I think they charge more to sit in E. Plus. This just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it was a mistake?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow How this possible
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by entrada
This just seems so wrong. But I was able to take advantage of it. Flying EWR to LAX. Checked in at T-24 got the boarding pass for my exit row seat. Flight was pretty full, FC had one seat open. Added to the upgrade list as usual.

Five hours later I decided to check my reservation on my iphone using UA App. Went to check in, reprint boarding pass, and noticed an offer to upgrade to FC for $59. Thought, that is odd. FC has been almost full for the last week or so and they weren't offering upgrades using miles. And the cost to pay for an upgrade was $450. And it was five hours since the flight opened for checkin. But I tried it, and I upgraded for $59. I was high on the UG list anyway, so maybe I would have got it for free, but I was on a W fare. I only paid $150 for the flight!. And now I'm sitting in FC for only $59! On a 6+ hour flight!

I don't know if the UG offer was made available to anybody checking in. I would think someone would have taken the offer due to the low price. I think they charge more to sit in E. Plus. This just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it was a mistake?
Please forward exact details (flights, etc.) to UAInsider. There should be no TOD while there is a waitlist.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA
Maybe it would have been 590?

Originally Posted by entrada

Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:34 pm

Oh please. THis has happened before. And has been going on for a while. Supposedly fixed.

You may with to revisit my thread
CO LAX-EWR. Upgrade to First Class for $425 . Disgusting!

I fly regularly to LA. Since UACO, I've been splitting my flights between JFK(p.s) and EWR open jaw/combination. Usually p.s for redeyes coming back.

$59 seems low though to me. You must have already been on a high fare.

It usually $400-$200. Mr.Chicken (RIP) used to offer them too, but CO's system lets you bypass the line.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle, HHonors Silver, Delta Gold Medallion
$59? That sounds more like AUS-IAH, not a transcon!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:36 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
what day of week, and time? Maybe the upgrade demand was not high?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
Sounds to me like 'right place, right time'. Although I do agree that this is something that should probably be noted and fixed for the future.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:41 pm

Happens more frequently than you think

Originally Posted by pviri
Wow How this possible
OP, please send details to UA Insider. Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Happens more frequently than you think

OP, please send details to UA Insider. Thanks!
Is UA Insider still alive? Is it just me, I haven't seen anything from them in a while.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meFIRST
$59 seems low though to me. You must have already been on a high fare.
OP said he was on a $150 W fare. Cheapest M fare (for Plat buy-up) now seems to be ~$648 (a differential observed by the OP that seemed to be in line with official buy-up policy until OLCI). So this appears to be just a classic PMCO TOD - break your own rules (and sell out your loyal customes) for 10 cents on the dollar.

No surprise too, the offer ended in a "9" - amazing how these "errors" are always $59/$79/$99. Wake up folks...

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Is UA Insider still alive? Is it just me, I haven't seen anything from them in a while.
She did post a couple times yesterday in the thread about whether lifetime 3MM 1Ks would get annual GPUs.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Another "error" that put an extra $59 in UaCo's pockets...

Every little bit helps, no wonder the company posted a profit in the 4th qtr 2011 despite all the costs of integration.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ryman554
Please forward exact details (flights, etc.) to UAInsider. There should be no TOD while there is a waitlist.
Yes but if there is just one person on the wait list, the offer is valid.

Seriously, I would expect the wait list to be close to 100 people.

This is the way it will be from March 3 onward. This thread at least gives elites on FT an advantage over those who are not.

^ to OP for scoring. I don't begrudge him one bit, I would done the same.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No surprise too, the offer ended in a "9" - amazing how these "errors" are always $59/$79/$99. Wake up folks...
Not that the facts often matter, but the fare-up purchases on day of departure are rounded off to the nearest 9. Always have been.

I have no idea which way this one goes, but the "9" is hardly a smoking gun.

I'm more surprised that there was a $150 W fare transcon.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Not that the facts often matter, but the fare-up purchases on day of departure are rounded off to the nearest 9. Always have been.

I have no idea which way this one goes, but the "9" is hardly a smoking gun.

I'm more surprised that there was a $150 W fare transcon.
I could see each segment being 150 -- but on a W fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.