Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flt 87 fiasco on Jan 2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Flt 87 fiasco on Jan 2

Flt 87 EWR-PVG had to divert to YYR because someone forgot to dump the lavs in EWR after the plane came in from Bombay. You would think dumping lavs on the 777 is an automatic. Flight came back to EWR bc of crew legalities and pax were sent on their merry way back to PVG at 5 the next am. Whose gonna get promoted for this costly mess?

Ship happens !
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:33 pm

According to Wikipedia, YYR is now the latest CO int'l destination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYR
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:54 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by brendog

OMFGROTFL! Well, okay, not quite, but... wow. I just about spewed coffee on my laptop. That link made my day. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: SW A-List Preferred, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brendog

Unfortunately whoever made the edit forgot Amsterdam.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Didn't last long. I had to look up the entry in the historical list.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by PappaShacks
Unfortunately whoever made the edit forgot Amsterdam.
PVG, AMS, and CDG? Happy Valley must be the place to be. It's also currently below zero, so it may have some drawbacks.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by featheroleather
You would think dumping lavs on the 777 is an automatic.
When you say "automatic" do you mean without human intervention? How would that work? And, if it's anything that requires a human to do something, then there's margin for error, as apparently was the case here.

I would be interested to know if verifying the status of the lav tanks is part of any on-board crew member's pre-flight responsibilities. If so, that step was missed as well.

I do see FAs check the tank status on the 777 during flight. It's one of the functions on the LCD touchpad that they use to control on-board systems. I noticed on a recent IAH-NRT flight that the waste tanks seemed very full to me. I think there were 3 of them, and each was over 75% full. With several hours to go, it seemed to me that it could be trouble. I had to ask the FA: "What happens when they get full?" Answer: "They stop working" without a hint of a smile. I wonder how often that happens (starting from a state of empty) just because the flight is so long?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Didn't last long. I had to look up the entry in the historical list.
It's back. It's missing a few destinations (such as EWR) as others have mentioned.

In any case, kudos to whoever did this. I appreciate your sense of humor.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
When you say "automatic" do you mean without human intervention? How would that work? And, if it's anything that requires a human to do something, then there's margin for error, as apparently was the case here.

I would be interested to know if verifying the status of the lav tanks is part of any on-board crew member's pre-flight responsibilities. If so, that step was missed as well.

I do see FAs check the tank status on the 777 during flight. It's one of the functions on the LCD touchpad that they use to control on-board systems. I noticed on a recent IAH-NRT flight that the waste tanks seemed very full to me. I think there were 3 of them, and each was over 75% full. With several hours to go, it seemed to me that it could be trouble. I had to ask the FA: "What happens when they get full?" Answer: "They stop working" without a hint of a smile. I wonder how often that happens (starting from a state of empty) just because the flight is so long?
Margin of error is one thing, not doing it at all doesnt cut it. I meant it should be automatically part of a general checklist of the pilots and fa's. Supposedly the ISM informed one of the pilots prior to pax boarding and the fingerpointing has started.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Does each lavatory have it's own tank or do they share some communal tank?

If separate, I assume the filling up issue is less of a problem in BusinessFirst on those long hauls. Would they just let the Y passengers use the C lavs if coach was ummm full?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

IIRC, the CO 777's & 767's have 2 tanks, one on each side of the aircraft. If they aren't serviced before departure & start to fill up enroute, they start shutting down one by one. There is a certain level of capacity tanks must have before going over the water. Last year we had to divert on EWR-HNL to SFO because the tanks werent serviced in EWR and the minimum amount of tank space wasnt available. This was on a 767-400.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:42 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Red face

They must run out of room to empty the tanks in EWR and just want to get rid of the stuff b letting the planes take off!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
But most importantly, did the pax get the appropriate mileage credit for the EWR-YYR-EWR roundtrip?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:00 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Cool

That would be nice !

apparently, YYR didn't want any part of that foreign uninspected 'load' !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.