Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Airlines, R.I.P. 1934-2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Originally Posted by Hungry Dingo
Think of it as a marriage where the wife is taking her husband's name, but she's the one calling the shots? "Yes, Dear..."
So you mean most marriages
Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by channa
The name "Continental" does not exist, but it's actually the United operating certificate that was sunset, and they're using the legacy Continental operating certificate with the name "United." It's much like how they're doing a lot of the items in the merger. Continental is by no means dead.

Channel 9 will be interesting -- I'm sure controllers will accidentally say "Continental" here or there, especially when visually referring to aircraft, as the paintjob is Continental.
They kept parts of both airlines, in FAA terms. The new UA uses the legacy Continental operating certificate and the legacy United repair station certificate.

http://atwonline.com/international-a...cate-part-merg
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Here2There
Well whenever I see the blue logo with the globe I instinctively think CO, so yes "the huge "UNITED" down the side of the plane" does not matter.

If the CO management loved their logo so much they should have kept the name Continental. United name goes with the tulip. I dont care either way but this mix and match is confusing.
Ditch the tulip. Ditch the globe. Go with the Friend Ship.

Retro. Hip. Cool.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...af86f3213a3de1
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
If the CO management loved their logo so much they should have kept the name Continental. United name goes with the tulip. I dont care either way but this mix and match is confusing.
Actually, the name Continental doesn't make much sense for a global airline.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Saw this nice tribute floating around the interwebs...

"Today is the first day since 1937 that there are no Continental Airline airplanes operating anywhere in the world. Thousands of ex cons are saddened by the loss of a great brand that brought pride to so many of us. Unlike other airlines who disappeared, CO was the only one who went out "On Top". Most admired global airline, more JD Power awards than any airline ever...you name it, CO won it......every customer satisfaction award, 100 best places to work in America for six straight years. It's like a college diploma, it's our accomplishment and it's in the record books. We can all go do other things but we will always be tied by our joint accomplishment....making CO the best airline there ever was. My thanks to all of you who went the extra mile to put us on the map. No one could have done it better than you."
Credited to Gordon Bethune, I believe, though I'm not sure he actually originated it. Wouldn't surprise me though if he did.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Credited to Gordon Bethune, I believe, though I'm not sure he actually originated it. Wouldn't surprise me though if he did.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...71726322895853

Indeed he did.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:07 pm

A fitting tribute to another "lost era" of U.S. commercial aviation.

Pan Am, Braniff, TWA, Northwest, Continental........

A sad day, indeed.

Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: Continental
Too bad they didn't get rid of the united name, but in a way it does make sense.

Those of us who "know", realize although the planes say United on the outside, it is very much the spirit on Continental...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Diamondkellen:17544029
Originally Posted by Hungry Dingo
Think of it as a marriage where the wife is taking her husband's name, but she's the one calling the shots? "Yes, Dear..."
So you mean most marriages
Except mine, my wife kept her name! D'oh!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redbeard911
Neither does half of a globe.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
People, people. Continental isn't going anywhere at all, she just got married and has changed her name from "Miss Continental" to "Mrs United"...
She still looks the same, and has now got her husband to start dressing better too, and the deed is now in her new name, while her husband's deed has been cancelled, she's running the show, he's just riding along...she's still here, now stronger than ever!

and remember her mother, Mrs. Continental, the former Miss Texas Air?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by redbeard911
I completely disagree. Continental makes a much better name than United for a global airline. Most of us live on continents and are flying to continents. Continental with the globe implies they are a Global airline flying all over the world. When I think of Continental and see the globe… we span the world comes to mind. Not to mention Continental directly translates into almost every major language and then some. Far more than United which morphs into many different words when translated.

Continental translate pretty much directly to

Spanish
French
Portuguese
Danish
Italian
Icelandic
Vietnamese
Basque
Catalan
Galician
Romanian

Including these languages German, Afrikaans, Albanian, Indonesian, Swedish, Norwegian etc but, the Continental ”C” turns to a “K “ yet meaning is the same. Dutch add another “a” to the “taal” Minor changes, overall Continental translate smoothly across many languages. Far more than most words in English and again the word United doesn’t even come close.

If they were trying to promote brand and make it something easier for people to understand worldwide and have less translation then Continental is far more a worldly name than United. It also mean the same thing. Things tend to get lost in translation.

I never understood what the United logo was? The “tulip or double “U”s? There is nothing global about that. But all this is water under the bridge. Just want to share my thoughts. I was getting tired of hearing Continental was not a global name when it is one of the most globally recognized words with the same meaning and little changes across many different languages. Continental is one of few words outside profanity that translates across so many languages
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by CO777DAL
I completely disagree. Continental makes a much better name than United for a global airline.
Almost everyone divorced from the emotion of the issue agreed that United had better international brand recognition than Continental. It isn't about what translates better, it's about customers recognizing your brand. And more people recognized United as an airline than Continental.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:59 am

The fact that the CO typeface was darn close to that of an international tire company....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_AG

Well I guess that could have cut both ways. Good recognition but not as an airline. Or an enhancement in that people thought it was affiliated -- kind of like Michelin and travel/restaurants.

Who knows -- none of us has the surveys but doubt they were done like for like on a global basis given the shotgun nature of this wedding.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bniu
and remember her mother, Mrs. Continental, the former Miss Texas Air?
And her mother-in-law, the former Eastern Airlines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.