Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a Seat Assigned on LX/Swiss?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Getting a Seat Assigned on LX/Swiss?

I've booked ZRH-ORD on Swiss (LX) for May, but both ua.com and co.com won't assign seats for Swiss flights.
I''ve done a search for threads, but didn't turn any up... if there is one, feel free to just cut-n-paste it, and I'll read it gladly.
But do I need to call UA to get a Swiss PNR and then call Swiss, or.. what?

Given that there are no frequent flyer miles earned, and limited reciprocal elite benefits, AND no ability to assign seats, I'm still wondering what the big deal is about Star Alliance..... or any alliance, as this is the same level of "connectedness" we were enjoying with SkyTeam.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Legend717
I've booked ZRH-ORD on Swiss (LX) for May, but both ua.com and co.com won't assign seats for Swiss flights.
I''ve done a search for threads, but didn't turn any up... if there is one, feel free to just cut-n-paste it, and I'll read it gladly.
But do I need to call UA to get a Swiss PNR and then call Swiss, or.. what?

Given that there are no frequent flyer miles earned, and limited reciprocal elite benefits, AND no ability to assign seats, I'm still wondering what the big deal is about Star Alliance..... or any alliance, as this is the same level of "connectedness" we were enjoying with SkyTeam.
It sounds like you booked a reward ticket with OP miles?
If your seat is in your Y, then LX won't assign a seat until 24 hours before departure. If you are flying F or C, then you can get a seat assignment now. You should have an LX locator on your email from CO. Go to www.swiss.com and enter it there. If not available, call Swiss.
If you are CO Gold, then you are *G and you get priority check-in, increased luggage allowance and lounge access. So not quite sure what you are complaining about?

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Nov 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Go to www.swiss.com and enter it there.
Pretty sure this still won't let you assign a seat. There's no option for me. Heck, I don't even think I can see my existing seat assignment...

You'll have to call Swiss regardless. It's kind of stupid.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, LT Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA 1MM
Seatsa

Legend - email their customer service center and let them know what seats you want. The email is on the web page for Swiss.

I did this for a summer flight in F and they wrote back the next day with the seat assignments.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:39 pm

I just did this last week. ZRH-YUL in F and had to call Swiss to get seats assigned using the Swiss PNR (which you would get from CO).
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
It sounds like you booked a reward ticket with OP miles?
If your seat is in your Y, then LX won't assign a seat until 24 hours before departure. If you are flying F or C, then you can get a seat assignment now. You should have an LX locator on your email from CO. Go to www.swiss.com and enter it there. If not available, call Swiss.
If you are CO Gold, then you are *G and you get priority check-in, increased luggage allowance and lounge access. So not quite sure what you are complaining about?
Okay, in response to this and others, I didn't book through CO, I booked through UA, and received NO EMAIL from them whatsoever. Thus, I have no confirmation code for Swiss.
No, it was NOT a reward ticket, but a revenue one in Y. That should have been clear when I complained that the Swiss segments weren't earning any miles due to T fare class...
As far as what I'm complaining about, I think a seat assignment is a pretty basic airline function... unless I was flying the likes of EasyJet or Ryanair.

UPDATE: I've just looked at my reservation. In the past few hours, Swiss has arbitrarily assigned me a seat. It's a window in the second row of economy, so that's close enough to what I'd ask for that I'm not too worried about it.
I'd still like to find my LX confirmation number, though...

Last edited by Legend717; Nov 20, 2011 at 3:43 am Reason: Add info
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Actually, most European airlines don't release seats until check-in (which is why you can't select one for the short LX segment. (oddly, you can now pre-reserve some seats by paying on Ryanair )

UA can provide you the PNR, though it would appear that you don't really need it if the seat is to your liking already!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Legend717
Okay, in response to this and others, I didn't book through CO, I booked through UA, and received NO EMAIL from them whatsoever. Thus, I have no confirmation code for Swiss.
No, it was NOT a reward ticket, but a revenue one in Y. That should have been clear when I complained that the Swiss segments weren't earning any miles due to T fare class...
As far as what I'm complaining about, I think a seat assignment is a pretty basic airline function... unless I was flying the likes of EasyJet or Ryanair.

UPDATE: I've just looked at my reservation. In the past few hours, Swiss has arbitrarily assigned me a seat. It's a window in the second row of economy, so that's close enough to what I'd ask for that I'm not too worried about it.
I'd still like to find my LX confirmation number, though...
I'm glad you got a seat you like, or almost like.
Not to belabor the point, your first post was here in the CO forum - hence question about CO. You say nothing about "T" class fare just no earning miles, hence the award question.
I would check your SPAM folder for a receipt/itinerary from UA. If you buy online, you automatically get an email. If you buy over the phone, agent always asks for email address.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

I'm glad you got a seat you like, or almost like.
Not to belabor the point, your first post was here in the CO forum - hence question about CO. You say nothing about "T" class fare just no earning miles, hence the award question.
I would check your SPAM folder for a receipt/itinerary from UA. If you buy online, you automatically get an email. If you buy over the phone, agent always asks for email address.
I agree that I SHOULD have an email from United; the reality of the situation, however, is that I DON'T. I've even verified my email address in my ancient/dormant MileagePlus account is current.
"Not to belabor the point....."

Anyhow, I posted in the CO forum because there's a good deal of *A knowledge here, and because it's my home forum. I'm a OnePass elite, and my MP number has been dormant so long that the miles all expired!
In this forum, I know the users that are knowledgeable from those that routinely spout off answers that make no sense. And I know the ones that are snobs, and typically speak down to the rest of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.