Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Plat. getting email marketing from CO offering FREE first checked bag!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CO OP-Plat, UA MP-1K

Here is a chuckle...any other CO Elites getting these marketing emails?

I got an email offering me to get my first bag checked FREE when getting a Chase CO Credit Card! Wow!

Do the departments in CO (new UA) Marketing talk to each other? Don't they know Elites already get free checked bags?

Is this a sign of the things to come in the new UA after the merger is complete?

What do YOU think?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think your "sign of things to come" over just one poorly vetted marketing e-mail is yet another example of the hyperbole rampant on the boards lately.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Its not at all unusual for marketing companies to send useless offers to thousands if not millions of people at once. They call it junk mail for a reason.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've been getting a lot offers for a membership to the United Club. Which I already have via the President's Club.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
This isn't a complaint (I'm not asking for more junk mail), but just an observation.

CO has never been very good at target marketing. I got a "News and Offers" email this morning, which included the following:

1. An invitation for me to check out the MileagePlus 2012 program
2. A sweepstakes offer having something to do with a cruise (which I haven't been on in more than 20 years).
3. Tips for healthy travel
4. A $175 savings offer on travel to Mexico, Dominican Republic, and Costa Rica. (I've never been to any of these countries.)
5. An offer to sign up for TripAlert
6. A notice that EliteAccess is now known as PremierAccess.
7. Yet another notice that E+ is coming to CO in 2012.
8. Finally, a tag line at the bottom of the email, "Continental.com. The place to go before you go." (Laxative commercial?? )

The point is that there are highly sophisticated database tools that allow companies to deliver target emails with relevant content. By sending me the same email as everyone else (the only personalization is my first name and OP balance), they miss an opportunity to deliver offers that reflect my travel and spending patterns. (And between CO and Chase, they know a whole lot about what I spend money on and where I go.) I spend about 10 seconds scanning these emails before they go in the Deleted folder.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
The point is that there are highly sophisticated database tools that allow companies to deliver target emails with relevant content. By sending me the same email as everyone else (the only personalization is my first name and OP balance), they miss an opportunity to deliver offers that reflect my travel and spending patterns. (And between CO and Chase, they know a whole lot about what I spend money on and where I go.) I spend about 10 seconds scanning these emails before they go in the Deleted folder.
+1

And what's more, they do it with such high frequency that even when (if) they get their act together with appropriate targeting, many will still not pay attention because of the excessive emailing they've been doing.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by channa
+1

And what's more, they do it with such high frequency that even when (if) they get their act together with appropriate targeting, many will still not pay attention because of the excessive emailing they've been doing.
+1
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
I've been receiving a constant barrage of mailings from the Continental/Chase marketing encouraging me to apply for the One Pass Plus card, when I already have one.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Myself, wife, and baby all get at least one mailing a week offering us both the OnePass Plus card and the MileagePlus Explorer card.

Continental keeps e-mailing me how as a Continental Platinum, my life will get even better if I apply for the Presidential Plus card. (Nevermind that I already did apply, got turned down, and Chase's application says "Do not apply if you've applied in the last six months".)

Sometimes I think UA/CO would prefer to be a bank than an airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.