FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Diverson rates for IAD-AMS/CDG 757 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1273239-diverson-rates-iad-ams-cdg-757-a.html)

star_world Dec 8, 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 17588911)
Look up CDG-IAD from yesterday and let me know what pops up

http://i44.tinypic.com/x6ap89.png

Searching by route is messed up at the moment but searching by flight number, which is what I would normally do, works perfectly.

UA-NYC Dec 8, 2011 9:28 am

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 17589436)
http://i44.tinypic.com/x6ap89.png

Searching by route is messed up at the moment but searching by flight number, which is what I would normally do, works perfectly.

There you go. Nice if you do know the flight number - but I'm guessing most need the citypair in order to look up flight status generally. Hoping they can fix that.

star_world Dec 8, 2011 9:32 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 17589467)
There you go. Nice if you do know the flight number - but I'm guessing most need the citypair in order to look up flight status generally. Hoping they can fix that.

Actually I think most people looking this up aren't FTers and actually have some personal connection with the flight (meeting someone from it, dropping them off, traveling on it themselves) - and the flight number is exactly what they'd have but anyway :)

Definitely needs to be fixed. It wasn't broken in the past.

halls120 Dec 8, 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 17588929)
If you're in ORD and need to go to MAN (and don't want to take the AA n/s), you definitely do TATL on the long leg and do an intra-Europe hop, vs. connecting in EWR/IAD.

Absolutely. There is no way I'm ever going to choose a routing through any NY area airport to get across the pond over making a connection at the other end. The airspace congestion and long lines at JFK immigration are a non-starter.

Several years ago (before we had access to an on line booking engine for work travel) our travel agent made us take an IAD-JFK-ATH routing. The IAD-JFK leg gave us a long layover in JFK on the way over, and upon return, thanks to congestion at JFK immigration and customs, we missed the last JFK-IAD flight, and had to cab it over to LGA to get home. If I'm going anywhere in Europe, I'm going NS from IAD to the closest destination I can.

And this isn't NY bashing. On one occasion, the TA tried to have me fly IAD-ATL-ATH, and I refused. They said "but DL has the contract" and I said I don't care, I'm not backtracking.

TheBOSman Dec 17, 2011 5:53 am

Totally random but someone has "updated" the wikipedia article on YYR to reflect its "new" regular service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Goo...d_destinations

United operated by Continental Paris, Washington Dulles

UA-NYC Dec 17, 2011 7:21 am

Hilarious! But it's unfortunately already been de-updated.

halls120 Dec 17, 2011 7:43 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 17643911)
Hilarious! But it's unfortunately already been de-updated.

Anybody get a screen shot?

TWA Fan 1 Dec 17, 2011 8:00 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 17593003)
Absolutely. There is no way I'm ever going to choose a routing through any NY area airport to get across the pond over making a connection at the other end. The airspace congestion and long lines at JFK immigration are a non-starter.

Several years ago (before we had access to an on line booking engine for work travel) our travel agent made us take an IAD-JFK-ATH routing. The IAD-JFK leg gave us a long layover in JFK on the way over, and upon return, thanks to congestion at JFK immigration and customs, we missed the last JFK-IAD flight, and had to cab it over to LGA to get home. If I'm going anywhere in Europe, I'm going NS from IAD to the closest destination I can.

And this isn't NY bashing. On one occasion, the TA tried to have me fly IAD-ATL-ATH, and I refused. They said "but DL has the contract" and I said I don't care, I'm not backtracking.

If I weren't a New Yorker, I would never fly through JFK to connect, to anywhere.

Interestingly, though, as an O&D point it's not bad, but it's not a god place to make a connection.

I think there are a few places as bad or worse, such as ATL and ORD, not to mention EWR, the absolute worst.

njcommodore Dec 17, 2011 8:19 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 17644069)
If I weren't a New Yorker, I would never fly through JFK to connect, to anywhere.

Interestingly, though, as an O&D point it's not bad, but it's not a god place to make a connection.

I think there are a few places as bad or worse, such as ATL and ORD, not to mention EWR, the absolute worst.

that's all a matter of opinion.

TWA Fan 1 Dec 17, 2011 8:24 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore (Post 17644151)
that's all a matter of opinion.

Opinion?

Not in the least.

You can look at the statistics for delays in all these markets.

It's about as objective as anything gets in the airline business...

UA-NYC Dec 17, 2011 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 17644069)

I'm with you - NYC airports great for O&D (frequency, sometimes rates), not for connecting though! I also shudder at the thought of connecting via EWR. Year in and year out, the worst on-time rates among all the major airports.

TWA Fan 1 Dec 17, 2011 8:55 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 17644293)
I'm with you - NYC airports great for O&D (frequency, sometimes rates), not for connecting though! I also shudder at the thought of connecting via EWR. Year in and year out, the worst on-time rates among all the major airports.

Exactly, rivaled only by LGA, where, of course, there is very little connecting traffic.

But EWR has lots of connecting traffic, and it is nightmarishly congested, and subject to fog. Since EWR effectively has one set of runways only (4L/22R and 4R/22L) for most of its flights (some flights can land on 11/29, but take-offs there are very rare), any blip in its operations has a huge domino effect on delays.

TheBOSman Dec 17, 2011 9:11 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 17643991)
Anybody get a screen shot?

Not a screen shot but works just as well, it's a copy of how the page looked before the uncorrecting :D:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...d_destinations

RJNYC Dec 17, 2011 9:29 am

I have also heard other rumors about those flights
Such as ....

FriendlySkies Dec 17, 2011 2:26 pm

CO dba UA125, AMS-IAD, diverted to ALB for fuel this afternoon..