Search

Diverson rates for IAD-AMS/CDG 757

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
However, in the winter TXL is on the 767-200
It has been for a few years, but there was a time when CO ran this route with a 752 even in the winter. After virtually routine fuel stops, apparently some pressure was put on pilots to stop "wasting" fuel and making "unnecessary" fuel stops, and flights were landing at EWR with "fuel emergency" clearance. This eventually led to a federal investigation.

After that, CO switched TXL to the 762ER, which has nearly double the range...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
It has been for a few years, but there was a time when CO ran this route with a 752 even in the winter. After virtually routine fuel stops, apparently some pressure was put on pilots to stop "wasting" fuel and making "unnecessary" fuel stops, and flights were landing at EWR with "fuel emergency" clearance. This eventually led to a federal investigation.

After that, CO switched TXL to the 762ER, which has nearly double the range...
I know and I remember. though from what I have heard the BF product on the 757 is better then the 762
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I know and I remember. though from what I have heard the BF product on the 757 is better then the 762
It wasn't back then, this was pre-retrofit...
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: DL Plat
Well - flew on 12/4 and of course had the planned fuel stop.

Looks like over the course of that week the 757-2 was only used twice and both times had to stop.

What the point of running the 767 5 of the 7 days if there is no question that a fuel stop will be needed.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers

Looks like over the course of that week the 757-2 was only used twice and both times had to stop.

What the point of running the 767 5 of the 7 days if there is no question that a fuel stop will be needed.
That is a brilliant question and wish i had an answer

i will admit it could be entertaining ONCE and only Once but

I think it attests to the fact that the 757 was not designed to do this sort of flying. It is designed with the intent to do Mid range flight not longhaul transoceanic segments
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers

Flight from CDG to IAD was "diverted" to Goose Bay today and arrived over 3 hours late.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
That is a brilliant question and wish i had an answer

i will admit it could be entertaining ONCE and only Once but

I think it attests to the fact that the 757 was not designed to do this sort of flying. It is designed with the intent to do Mid range flight not longhaul transoceanic segments
My Question is would you rather connect thru a hub in Europe or would rather fly non-stop from the US to your destination in Europe? Let's use STR or EDI or Belfast as an example. Before the 757, a passenger had to connect in a European hub because the Aircraft were too large to fly such a route profitably. But the 757 has allowed airlines to open up thinner TransAtlantic markets.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
My Question is would you rather connect thru a hub in Europe or would rather fly non-stop from the US to your destination in Europe? Let's use STR or EDI or Belfast as an example. Before the 757, a passenger had to connect in a European hub because the Aircraft were too large to fly such a route profitably. But the 757 has allowed airlines to open up thinner TransAtlantic markets.
2nd tier European markets that aren't a strain on the 757 (say EDI or MAN)? Not a bad option vs. a FRA/MUC/LHR/ZRH connection.

1st tier markets (AMS/CDG) where flights now divert weekly due to being at the operational limit? Not such a great option.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bsh451
Flight from CDG to IAD was "diverted" to Goose Bay today and arrived over 3 hours late.
Even more annoying - co.com doesn't have the ability to look up flight status when there's a diversion. Have to use a 3rd party site like Flightaware instead (which I love, but shouldn't have to rely on it)
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
2nd tier European markets that aren't a strain on the 757 (say EDI or MAN)? Not a bad option vs. a FRA/MUC/LHR/ZRH connection.

1st tier markets (AMS/CDG) where flights now divert weekly due to being at the operational limit? Not such a great option.

But you still get convinience, 2 flights a day instead of one? I'm sure bussiness-men are happy.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
But you still get convinience, 2 flights a day instead of one? I'm sure bussiness-men are happy.
The convenience of a second flight is cancelled out by getting home 3 hours late.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Even more annoying - co.com doesn't have the ability to look up flight status when there's a diversion. Have to use a 3rd party site like Flightaware instead (which I love, but shouldn't have to rely on it)
It certainly does whenever I've looked one up.

Originally Posted by halls120
The convenience of a second flight is cancelled out by getting home 3 hours late.
Except for the vast majority of times when they don't get home 3 hours late.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Assuming you live in EWR or IAD, sure. If you're starting in another major market with service to FRA/MUC/LHR/ZRH and IAD/EWR, it would be advisable to avoid a IAD/EWR connection on the return if it means flying a 757 TATL. No need to increase your chance of a fuel stop and blown connection.

Especially since there are other nonstop options in the market. Not worth taking the risk of an extra fuel stop.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
It certainly does whenever I've looked one up.
Look up CDG-IAD from yesterday and let me know what pops up
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Assuming you live in EWR or IAD, sure. If you're starting in another major market with service to FRA/MUC/LHR/ZRH and IAD/EWR, it would be advisable to avoid a IAD/EWR connection on the return if it means flying a 757 TATL. No need to increase your chance of a fuel stop and blown connection.
Oh no doubt - the 757 argument only really holds water for n/s options.

If you're in ORD and need to go to MAN (and don't want to take the AA n/s), you definitely do TATL on the long leg and do an intra-Europe hop, vs. connecting in EWR/IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.