EWR connection

Old Oct 12, 11, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
EWR connection

I am contemplating booking a flight on a Sunday or a Monday - TLV-EWR-LAS. I would prefer the earlier flights - schedule is:
Arrive EWR 16:37, connecting to EWR-LAS at 18:15 (on either Sunday or Monday).

Firstly - I am not sure the connection time is enough - although I am pretty sure I don't have to change terminals (both C) I am not sure about the ~ 90 min connection. I have seen some pretty bad queues at EWR immigration - not sure what it's like on Sun/Mon afternoon.

Secondly - 18:15 is almost the last CO/UA LAS connection. I will be travelling with checked-in bags. What happens if I miss the flight ? Do I have to overnight in NY ? Will CO enable me to catch a later flight with Delta, for example ?

Thanks for any insight...

D.
Old Oct 12, 11, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
90 minutes should be enough provided you're a US Citizen for that time of day on a Sunday/Monday. The non-citizen line is hit or miss. Just make a point of walking quickly from your plane to customs. CO will only put you up if your TLV flight is delayed and it was a reason within their control (basically only mechanical or crew). Looking at other flight options, though, the direct CO is practically the latest flight of the day to LAS. As a CO plat your bags will be one of the first ones to come off, they should be there by the time you clear passport control. You'll drop your bags right after customs so the bags won't slow you down. You'll also have access to the elite security line which will help as well. IMO you'll be fine.
Old Oct 12, 11, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

is there any difference between a Sunday and a Monday afternoon ?
Queues longer/shorter ?

Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
90 minutes should be enough provided you're a US Citizen for that time of day on a Sunday/Monday. The non-citizen line is hit or miss. Just make a point of walking quickly from your plane to customs. CO will only put you up if your TLV flight is delayed and it was a reason within their control (basically only mechanical or crew). Looking at other flight options, though, the direct CO is practically the latest flight of the day to LAS. As a CO plat your bags will be one of the first ones to come off, they should be there by the time you clear passport control. You'll drop your bags right after customs so the bags won't slow you down. You'll also have access to the elite security line which will help as well. IMO you'll be fine.
Old Oct 12, 11, 8:31 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
As I have said before, I am a Travelers Aid Volunteer at EWR. My shift is 4-9pm on Sundays, working our desk in Terminal B, international arrivals.

There are two "peaks" on international arrivals, chiefly 2-5 and then 7-9, so your flight would fall right in the middle of the first of the evening peak times. During these peak times, US Citizens usually exit Customs/Immigration between 45-90 minutes from the actual artival time for the flight, add another 30-60 for non-citizens.

In the past 3 months, the CO TLV flight has NEVER come into Teminal B, which is a huge plus for you, as you will not have to switch Terminals.

Also, irrespecrive of any status, Continental will not provide hotels for stranded passengers, nor will they stray off-carrier (except for UA) and the occasional *A partner. They definitely won't go out of alliance.

Our "discount" hotels for stranded passengers usually are sold out by 5pm (the airline wont even give you one of these vouchers, but we will), and the Marriott (only hotel on airport property) usually is sold out by 6 or 7pm. Most other hotels that offer transportation run about 125-135 with tax.
Old Oct 12, 11, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
There are two "peaks" on international arrivals, chiefly 2-5 and then 7-9, so your flight would fall right in the middle of the first of the evening peak times. During these peak times, US Citizens usually exit Customs/Immigration between 45-90 minutes from the actual artival time for the flight, add another 30-60 for non-citizens.

Also, irrespecrive of any status, Continental will not provide hotels for stranded passengers, nor will they stray off-carrier (except for UA) and the occasional *A partner. They definitely won't go out of alliance.
In my experience C runs faster than B because it's staffed better by customs and border protection (CBP). Also, if you make a point of walking fast you should beat a lot of the people on your flight (another tip is to seat near the front of coach). I don't have any experience on Sunday vs. Monday for customs/immigration, but when I go through security during those times Monday is quieter than Sunday (people returning from weekend vacations and business travelers getting in place for Monday). If you really have no preference between Sunday and Monday I'd go for Monday. Also, CO will provide hotels for pax IF it was a delay under their control. There really aren't any other carriers that you can go to LAS on so I won't argue your point about re-booking.
Old Oct 12, 11, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
CO may offer you the option of connecting onto the first flight to LAS the next AM. I LOVE this option, because I arrive at EWR without having to stress about making a connection, and I can go straight to my airport hotel for a good night's sleep before flying back to LAX. It's basically a free stopover.
Old Oct 13, 11, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the good info.

I'm not quite sure when the scenario below would happen, though ?...

Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
CO may offer you the option of connecting onto the first flight to LAS the next AM. I LOVE this option, because I arrive at EWR without having to stress about making a connection, and I can go straight to my airport hotel for a good night's sleep before flying back to LAX. It's basically a free stopover.
Old Oct 13, 11, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by dand99 View Post
Thanks to all for the good info.

If it's something you're interested in, just walk slow. Unless your flight is early you can easily and realistically drag out the customs/immigration process to be an hr+. When you clear customs with your bags just find a CO rep and say you don't think you'll make your flight.

Or... as a plat you can same day change (SDC) to the following morning for free. The only wrinkle might be that your fare bucket isn't available yet. What fare will you be booking?
Old Oct 13, 11, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dand99 View Post
If you book it that way.

You're allowed a 24 hour connection time on an international reservation so if you book anything prior to a 4:36pm departure the following day out of EWR that should meet the fare rules. You might have to do it as a multi-city reservation and let the system price it out that way, but it should work.
Old Oct 13, 11, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
If you book it that way.

You're allowed a 24 hour connection time on an international reservation so if you book anything prior to a 4:36pm departure the following day out of EWR that should meet the fare rules. You might have to do it as a multi-city reservation and let the system price it out that way, but it should work.
Also, if you keep scrolling all the way down -- past the 3-segment options -- you should get the next-day connection options. They are flagged in red. Searching as a multi-city trip works, too, but I have gotten them by just searching for roundtrips.

And here's the best part: You can use the same systemwide upgrade for the EWR-XXX connection the following day.
Old Dec 14, 11, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .4 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre
Connection time at EWR

Hi all,

I'm curious about my upcoming connection through EWR. I'm flying SJO-EWR on Thursday, 12/22, scheduled to arrive at 3:00 PM. My next flight, EWR-CMH is at 5:00 PM. Is two hours sufficient to get through immigration and customs?

Also, I've heard less than great things about EWR. Any recommendations on things to do if I end up with some extra time?
Old Dec 14, 11, 2:34 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by LRMErnst View Post
Hi all,

I'm curious about my upcoming connection through EWR. I'm flying SJO-EWR on Thursday, 12/22, scheduled to arrive at 3:00 PM. My next flight, EWR-CMH is at 5:00 PM. Is two hours sufficient to get through immigration and customs?

Also, I've heard less than great things about EWR. Any recommendations on things to do if I end up with some extra time?
Hi all,

When did you last look at your reservation online? Because there is no SJO flight arriving at (or close to) 3pm on the 22nd (or any day that week, for that matter)

1554 Arrives 1:00pm
1081 Arrives 6:49pm
1560 Artives 8:45pm

Take a look at your reservation. Is it in 24hr time? Because there is a 3pm departure to CMH, so you could have seen 1300 for the arrival, and thought 3pm, and 1500 for the departure, and thought 5pm.

Anyway, basic information on EWR. Your International flight will arrive into EITHER Terminal B or C. That decision is made usually about 2 hours before arrival, and is not the same day in, day out.

As far as customs/immigration processing times, Terminal C has been known to be quicker, but Terminal B has been averaging 60-90 minutes for US Citizens, and 90-120 for Non-Citizens.

Depending on which connecting flight you are on, will determine what Terminal your flight leaves from. Two EWR-CMH flights are Continental Express Flights, which SHOULD (90% of the time) depart from Terminal A. The other two are Continental Connection Flights, and leave from Terminal C.

If your connection is:

C-C, You clear customs, recheck your bag, reclear security, and you are good to go.

C-A, Ditto with bag recheck, but then you can either clear security in C, and take the Air-Side shuttle to A, or take the land-side AirTrain to A, and clear security there.

B-A or B-C You will process through customs, be able to recheck your bag in B, and then take the land-side AirTrain to either Terminal A or C, then clear security.

No matter where you arrive or depart, two hours is doable, so long as you are a citizen. You will not have much wiggle room, however.
Old Dec 14, 11, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .4 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre
My apologies. Yes, I get to EWR at 1:00 PM and depart for CMH at 3:00 PM. I think I land at or around 5:00 PM which is where that came from.

And yes, I am a US citizen.
Old Dec 14, 11, 4:21 pm

My apologies. Yes, I get to EWR at 1:00 PM and depart for CMH at 3:00 PM. I think I land at or around 5:00 PM which is where that came from.

And yes, I am a US citizen.
Now that thats cleared up, you'll be arriving into B or C, and departing out of C. Read my above post for more information on this.

1:00pm is a quieter time, so, if you ask me, you should be fine, in the sense you will arrive at your CMH departure gate 30 or so minutes before departure.

Terminal C is THE place to be at EWR for amenities such as shops, food, etc. Take a look at www.shopnewarkterminalc.com for a list.
Old Dec 14, 11, 7:50 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
Now that thats cleared up, you'll be arriving into B or C, and departing out of C. Read my above post for more information on this.

1:00pm is a quieter time, so, if you ask me, you should be fine, in the sense you will arrive at your CMH departure gate 30 or so minutes before departure.

Terminal C is THE place to be at EWR for amenities such as shops, food, etc. Take a look at www.shopnewarkterminalc.com for a list.
I really appreciate your answers that have an "insider's look" at the workings of EWR.
^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: