No meal service in F TPA - IAH

Old Sep 24, 11, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
No meal service in F TPA - IAH

Flew back home yesterday on 1707 fro TPA to IAH. It was a 3PM departure.
FA appologized and said no food was loaded for this leg and as a results - drinks only. Not even nuts. Rather disapointing...
Has this happened before?
Old Sep 24, 11, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
According to co.com, that's not a meal flight.

I hope the merged carrier will adopt the UA standard (and industry standard) of snack baskets on non-meal flights in F.

Even US which is often derided on this board for its service would have a snack basket and a pillow. Meanwhile, CO which is often lauded on this board for its service gives you neither.
Old Sep 24, 11, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Meanwhile, CO which is often lauded on this board for its service gives you neither.
In the several threads that this issue has come up, I don't think anyone sided with CO. CO has it's flaws, and they are pointed out when identified. Want to start on your beloved UA's?
Old Sep 24, 11, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
In the several threads that this issue has come up, I don't think anyone sided with CO. CO has it's flaws, and they are pointed out when identified. Want to start on your beloved UA's?

I'm sure if we dug up the threads, someone would have posted something to the effect of the usual shortsighted, "If CO offered a snack basket on this flight, would you pay more to fly it? If not, then they've made the right decision."

As for UA, UA is not perfect, never said it was. In fact on this issue, UA is average -- the snack basket is standard across the industry at this point. I suppose we could start nitpicking on snack basket contents but at the end of the day a snack basket is the standard that CO fails to meet in this instance.
Old Sep 24, 11, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by channa View Post
I'm sure if we dug up the threads, someone would have posted something to the effect of the usual shortsighted, "If CO offered a snack basket on this flight, would you pay more to fly it? If not, then they've made the right decision."

As for UA, UA is not perfect, never said it was. In fact on this issue, UA is average -- the snack basket is standard across the industry at this point. I suppose we could start nitpicking on snack basket contents but at the end of the day a snack basket is the standard that CO fails to meet in this instance.
Weren't these the type of flights that CO used to offer that cold plate? Do they still offer these cold plates or did UA kill that idea and they just have yet to bring the snack baskets to CO? They weren't spectacular but at least it was a half a$$ attempt at a small meal rather than a bag of chips

I too was dissappointed with no meal on a 4:45pm dep on ATL-IAH, not even pretzels or nuts.

Yes Channa I'm going to go there. The snack baskets are pretty pathetic, yes better than nothing but honestly if I knew ahead of time that I was on a "snack basket" flight I would probably pack an extra protein bar or pick up something in the airport. If they don't want to offer a full meal can't they just offer a small salad or small cold sandwich or is that asking too much.
Old Sep 24, 11, 11:12 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
I live near TPA and do the TPA-IAH-TPA run frequently. At mealtimes, I typically get the cold plate. At 3PM, I would expect nothing but beveages.
Old Sep 24, 11, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I live near TPA and do the TPA-IAH-TPA run frequently. At mealtimes, I typically get the cold plate. At 3PM, I would expect nothing but beveages.
Not true.
I have doen this route several times on this specific flight. There was always a "cold plate" served.
2 hr. and 17 minuted by defention are entitled for some kind of meal/snack.
Old Sep 25, 11, 12:22 pm

I'm on 1607 in first this week TPA to IAH. Leaving at 11:55 AM, this flight should be considered a "lunch" flight, but it's listed as snack. Anyone know what to expect, if anything.
Old Sep 25, 11, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
Weren't these the type of flights that CO used to offer that cold plate? Do they still offer these cold plates or did UA kill that idea and they just have yet to bring the snack baskets to CO? They weren't spectacular but at least it was a half a$$ attempt at a small meal rather than a bag of chips
I don't know what the story is on the CO side, but on UA the cold plate was replaced last year with a more substantial offering (cold sandwich or cold pasta salad with chicken, usually).

The flights where UA serves the snack basket are typically short-haul flights where there there was no previous meal service. I think the threshold for the snack basket is < 700 miles.

honestly if I knew ahead of time that I was on a "snack basket" flight I would probably pack an extra protein bar ...
That would be a good idea if UA replaced the Clif bars with something higher in protein.
Old Feb 1, 12, 3:03 pm

Any recent experience on IAH-TPA leg in first class?

I am on CO1228 departing at 8:41 pm. I'm hoping for DirectTV and cold plate.. not sure what to expect amenity/meal wise.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 12, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jjgollum View Post
Any recent experience on IAH-TPA leg in first class?

I am on CO1228 departing at 8:41 pm. I'm hoping for DirectTV and cold plate.. not sure what to expect amenity/meal wise.

Cheers.
That's exactly what the flight status page is for. On CO1228 today you'd get exactly what you want

https://mobile.united.com/FlightStat...ghtNumber=1228
Old Feb 1, 12, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
That's exactly what the flight status page is for. On CO1228 today you'd get exactly what you want

https://mobile.united.com/FlightStat...ghtNumber=1228
Thanks for the tip and pardon my ignorance!
Old Feb 2, 12, 12:36 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-MVPG75K / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I fly IAH-TPA a few times a year. Not familiar with each individual flight but there is never a "meal". So you have to rely on CO's odd descriptions...

"Snack" typically means the cold deli plate.
Flights with no food mentioned, yet you'd think should be serving food (ie: IAH-TPA), means a bag of nuts.
Flights with no food mentioned, and you wouldn't be expecting food (ie: IAH-DFW), means a bag of pretzels.

The few UA flights I've been on recently with no food mentioned seems to be the snack basket with a decent selection of both salty and sweet options.
Old Feb 2, 12, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by steve64 View Post
I fly IAH-TPA a few times a year. Not familiar with each individual flight but there is never a "meal". So you have to rely on CO's odd descriptions...
Have you looked at the flight status page? The descriptions are far from "odd":

Food
First Class: Light cold snack plate

Main Cabin: Assorted packaged snacks available for purchase
The one-word description that goes into the res systems of all airlines is usually pretty bad - that's why it is good to have this sort of accurate description to check.

I'm not sure they use nuts vs pretzels as distinct snack types by the way - that's just whatever is on the aircraft
Old Feb 3, 12, 12:56 pm

Looks like sunday's flight won't have the cold plate option.. bummer

• First Class: Beverage and a selection of complimentary snacks
  • Main Cabin: Assorted packaged snacks available for purchase

It will have TV though so I guess the Superbowl will be viewable.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: