Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change one flight segment, why does it re-price all?

Old Sep 21, 11, 5:34 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold

I currently have an itinerary booked with Continental.com. This 2 segment itinerary is booked in T class.

Now, I wanted to change the second segment *only* to a different date / time. This second segment seems to be available in T class as well.

BUT, it ends up re-pricing my first segment into a higher fare bucket (S), even if I don't want to change it, and is causing the fare to jump up. So, not only do I have to pay a change fee, but also the price differential for the unchanged segment.

How can I change only one segment, without it going and re-pricing the unchanged segments?

Or is this not possible?

My guess is that S is higher than T on Continental.

Last edited by mp2; Sep 21, 11 at 5:36 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Sep 21, 11, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If travel has not yet started then then entire ticket will be repriced at the current fares. That's the way it works.
Old Sep 21, 11, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
In addition to what sbm says, you don't clarify whether this is a round-trip itinerary, or a one-way with two segments, which also changes the equation.

If the latter, you are probably moving from a connection to a stopover, which can change the ticket price as well. In this case, you are really buying an A-B-C itin, not an A-C with change of planes in B.
Old Sep 21, 11, 7:44 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It is an open jaw ticket.

The new ticket will also be an open jaw
Old Sep 21, 11, 8:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
If travel has not yet started then then entire ticket will be repriced at the current fares. That's the way it works.
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
In addition to what sbm says, you don't clarify whether this is a round-trip itinerary, or a one-way with two segments, which also changes the equation.
Remember this well from my travel for work days. Very frustrating, even though I was not the one paying for changes. And what's worst, sometimes it would be the return trip that I didn't want to change that would mess it up

EmailKid
Old Sep 21, 11, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Not only does is reprice, but even for the flights that stay the same, the rebooking wipes out all the seat assignments.

I've had them rebook me and the seats I previously had assigned before the the reissue are not available. Really sucks if it's last minute as it can bump you into full fare and then you can get stuck in a middle seat as an added bonus to the change
Old Sep 21, 11, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold
What's worse is sometimes there are no more seats in the fare class you are booked in and it will force you to a higher fare class, because it needs to book the new ticket before releasing the old one.
Old Sep 22, 11, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
That's not how it always works. The fare rules usually spell out, in rather complicated and repetitive-seeming language, that if the first flight segment (coupon) does not change, and a number of other conditions are met, then the itinerary can be re-priced at the original fare. Here's some sample language from a cheapo EWR-MIA fare, in the Penalties section, about halfway down:
Code:
 BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT
          VALIDITY - CHARGE USD 150.00 OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL
          CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS AND  REPRICE USING
          ---FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED ---
          PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
          --
          TAG 2 - HISTORICAL FARE WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
          --
          1. NO CHANGE TO STOPOVERS/1ST FLIGHT COUPON
             FARE BREAKS
          2. SAME FARE ON 1ST FARE COMPONENT IS USED
          3. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
             MUST BE DOMESTIC
          4. CO/UA FARES ARE USED
          5. NEW FARE IS EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FARE
          6. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
          7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
             DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
          8. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO CO OR UA
          --
          OR
          --
          1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON/FARE BREAKS
          2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
             MUST BE DOMESTIC
          3. CO/UA FARES ARE USED
          4. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN
             PREVIOUS TKT
          5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
          6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
             DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
          7. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO CO OR UA
I'm not exactly sure what would be causing the OPs fare to be completely re-priced, other than if there's a minimum stay requirement that isn't being met. Even if there are no current T fares on the return (but there is inventory per the OP) it shouldn't matter. I would call CO on this one, armed with the fare rules from your original ticket, assuming they have similar language to the above. You DO have a printout/PDF of your fare rules, right???

Originally Posted by vikaga View Post
What's worse is sometimes there are no more seats in the fare class you are booked in and it will force you to a higher fare class, because it needs to book the new ticket before releasing the old one.
Well, there's never any guarantee that a cancellation will release a specific fare bucket. And while I'm not sure exactly how the process works online, you can always call CO and have them cancel the segments first and then re-book.
Old Sep 22, 11, 8:10 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and background.
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I would call CO on this one, armed with the fare rules from your original ticket, assuming they have similar language to the above.
Will gather all details and call up CO to see what's happening.
Old Sep 27, 11, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any update?
Old Sep 28, 11, 9:36 am
mp2
Original Poster

The day I decided to change, the lower fare class was no longer available. So, the fare was pricing to be higher, and didn't think it was worth it.

So never ended up calling and trying to change it.
Old Sep 28, 11, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I'm not exactly sure what would be causing the OPs fare to be completely re-priced, other than if there's a minimum stay requirement that isn't being met.
There's any number of possible explanations: minimum stay, Saturday night stay (these are less common than they used to be), "off-peak" travel, etc. etc. There's also special fares that have maximum stay validity (return within 30 days, return by a certain date). Theoretically, there may also be combination rules, so that (in the OP's case) maybe the new segment was only available in T and higher, but if S fares cannot be combined with other buckets, the entire itinerary has to be repriced as a T fare.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: