Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

connection time in DEN and IAH if staying on CO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

connection time in DEN and IAH if staying on CO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Question connection time in DEN and IAH if staying on CO?

We've never had layovers before, so forgive the basic question! If we're flying on CO and have to change planes in DEN or IAH, are there minimum connection times we should allow for those airports? If it matters, we'll have 2 kids, carryons and gate-checked strollers/car seats.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Where are you flying to/from? It can make a difference..if you're flying on an Express carrier (Continental Express) you'll probably have to change terminals via train at IAH and you'll want to leave 90 mins between flights. Otherwise, an hour is plenty. At DEN you are guaranteed not to have to change terminals but it is a hike from one end of the B concourse to the other if your gates happen to be far apart. An hour is fine at DEN...I'd say 45 mins but I'm adding a little extra for the gate checked stroller.

Edited: I re-read your post.. if you're on CO all the way the CO gates at DEN are all right next to each other. If you go to/from DEN all on CO metal your gates will be very close together and 45 mins is enough time.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Sep 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Where are you flying to/from? It can make a difference..if you're flying on an Express carrier (Continental Express) you'll probably have to change terminals via train at IAH and you'll want to leave 90 mins between flights. Otherwise, an hour is plenty. At DEN you are guaranteed not to have to change terminals but it is a hike from one end of the B concourse to the other if your gates happen to be far apart. An hour is fine at DEN...I'd say 45 mins but I'm adding a little extra for the gate checked stroller.

Edited: I re-read your post.. if you're on CO all the way the CO gates at DEN are all right next to each other. If you go to/from DEN all on CO metal your gates will be very close together and 45 mins is enough time.
We're going PHX-?-MCO, so what about IAH? And if we check anything, do you think it will be unlikely that the bag will change planes with us? The flights I'm looking at have 58 min and 1 hr 17 min connections.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't worry about the luggage. They have shorter and faster route than you do. With kids and carry-on, I would do the 1:17. With a stroller, means you have little kids and you need the time to deal with the vagaries of kid travel.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by jperiod
We're going PHX-?-MCO, so what about IAH? And if we check anything, do you think it will be unlikely that the bag will change planes with us? The flights I'm looking at have 58 min and 1 hr 17 min connections.
That should be all main line so IAH is a fine option (don't book a CO Express flight PHX-IAH..there are plenty of 737's). Your bags will be fine with either of those connection times...but I agree that with kids go with the 1:17. If the other choice was 3 hours I'd say go with :58, but it's only 20 minutes more and it's good insurance.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
That should be all main line so IAH is a fine option (don't book a CO Express flight PHX-IAH..there are plenty of 737's). Your bags will be fine with either of those connection times...but I agree that with kids go with the 1:17. If the other choice was 3 hours I'd say go with :58, but it's only 20 minutes more and it's good insurance.
Agreed. If I can make a 29 minute connection by myself at IAH, then you can surely make 1:17 with the kiddos!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO
DIA is the far better choice for connecting imo

Much nicer airport. Definitely better views outside.

But of course, I'm slightly biased since I live here.

It's never taken me over 30 minutes to get from curb to gate.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I'm based out of IAH, but passing through DEN earlier this summer I discovered that connecting there was a breeze. That would be my recommendation. Nicer facility, easy to navigate.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Well, I was originally considering both of those airports, one for the way there and the other on the way back because they fit with our times and were CO. BUT, I got the most UH-mazing CO customer service rep on the phone that managed to get my DH switched to my non-CO nonstop flight there (upgraded to first with no change fee) as well as switch us both to the MCO-IAH-PHX on CO back (1hr 17 min layover), but with no increase in miles even though only Easypass has been available, AND let me book my son's ticket over the phone with her with no phone booking fee. ^^^

Needless to say, I WILL be writing a glowing email about her to someone as soon as I figure out who I should write to!

Anyway, since I can check bags free on CO and we're just going home, I think I'll just unload what I can to minimize my carryons since we'll have sleepy children. I won't really care if our luggage is delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.