Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Desperately seeking that great CO experience

Desperately seeking that great CO experience

Old Sep 18, 11, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA free, WN A-List, AS MVP Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Unhappy Desperately seeking that great CO experience

I keep looking for that great CO service.

CO 1588 SAN-IAH today we barely saw the FAs, and when I used the call button (1st time in years) he approached me with "What do you need buddy?", and they (all older men) spent more time chatting amongst themselves than interacting with pax. Then later as we miss connect by 2 minutes or so I am given attitude by the GA.

Please is this what I should expect? If so, my hopes are not high for the survival of this once great (UA) airline.
Old Sep 18, 11, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
The experience has definitely gone downhill, but to some extent it's been going downhill for some years now.

As far as service, the fact is the CO people have more to lose, since their average pay grades are > than those at UA, and they have a sneaking suspicion that Jeff $miser wants to "rationalize" the pay scales at the UA level...

So what do you do when you feel that you're about to get the shaft? At the very least there is little or no incentive to go the extra mile...it could be construed as sending a message to $miser or just plain resignation...
Old Sep 18, 11, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
FA on any US airline and some foreign airlines is totally hit or miss;
It has little to do with UA merger; you got some lousy FA and a lousy ground staff. There are many of those around, there always have been.

I think FA in the US in general are told they are here for safety and not service and that is the crux of the problem. On Singapore airlines, they are told it is all about the service and it shows even in coach.

I think UA treats better its elites than CO does; the phone and ground service is better; the on-board experience is about the same and very FA dependent.
Old Sep 18, 11, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
It has little to do with UA merger; you got some lousy FA and a lousy ground staff. There are many of those around, there always have been.

I think FA in the US in general are told they are here for safety and not service and that is the crux of the problem. On Singapore airlines, they are told it is all about the service and it shows even in coach.

I think UA treats better its elites than CO does; the phone and ground service is better; the on-board experience is about the same and very FA dependent.
All agreed, although I would say that, a few years ago, it was not unusual to be treated with terrifically friendly professional and friendly service on CO. It still happens (it's a big airline with lots of people), but it has definitely become more rare than in the past, and I think a big reason why is the low morale due to the rumors concerning pay scales following the merger.
Old Sep 18, 11, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I think FA in the US in general are told they are here for safety and not service and that is the crux of the problem.
I wonder how much of that is due to America's litigious nature. I mean, if a video were to surface on Youtube of an FA fluffing a pillow or pouring a drink while another passenger is injured, there'd be a huge lawsuit. Better not fluff the pillows then. Or just remove them entirely. (ahem)
Old Sep 19, 11, 10:35 am

I drank your milkshake

Not even close to a regular CO flyer and had a wonderful experience both BOS-IAH and IAH-ANC last week. Heck, I received a bottle of wine (and a wine glass) from the flight attendant, first time ever. Both crews were great and left me feeling very positive about the CO operation.

YMMV
Old Sep 19, 11, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This is true. But the problem is that CO has this perception of being better. And frankly, much of this perception was created on their own -- through marketing and some of the Rah! Rah! rhetoric they tend to use.

As such, they're not consistently meeting the expectations they're setting for themselves, and comparing CO to "any US airline" is not applicable since CO claims to have a higher bar for themselves.

A little more humility would go a long way towards setting appropriate expectations. If they didn't play a CEO video talking about "great service along the way," or co-workers who are the "finest people in the business," or if they didn't print a full-page magazine ad telling people to raise their expectations, then I'd agree with you, that comparing CO to "any US airline" is appropriate.

But if they didn't do that, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion at all. After all, if they didn't hype their service, we likely wouldn't have people posting that they're "looking for that great CO service" in the first place.
Old Sep 19, 11, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by channa View Post
This is true. But the problem is that CO has this perception of being better. And frankly, much of this perception was created on their own -- through marketing and some of the Rah! Rah! rhetoric they tend to use.

As such, they're not consistently meeting the expectations they're setting for themselves, and comparing CO to "any US airline" is not applicable since CO claims to have a higher bar for themselves.

A little more humility would go a long way towards setting appropriate expectations. If they didn't play a CEO video talking about "great service along the way," or co-workers who are the "finest people in the business," or if they didn't print a full-page magazine ad telling people to raise their expectations, then I'd agree with you, that comparing CO to "any US airline" is appropriate.

But if they didn't do that, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion at all. After all, if they didn't hype their service, we likely wouldn't have people posting that they're "looking for that great CO service" in the first place.
Broken record.

I've got news for you. Almost all major American businesses go on endlessly about how they've got the best team, offer the best product / service, etc. No matter how often you choose to drone on about how this "culture" is so endemic in CO, it doesn't make it so. In the years I've flown on CO flights I've only had a handful of flights where I had a really great experience - usually it's just average, in the tone of the FAs, quality of service, etc. You don't fly on a US airline for great service.

I've told you this before - you should consider living in Germany - unsubstantiated claims about a company's greatness are illegal there. You could hunt down all the hyped-up companies.

You would think that by now most of us would have encountered these legendary FAs who have been brainwashed with this "we're the greatest" mentality. Or maybe it's all just in your mind
Old Sep 19, 11, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
I've got news for you. Almost all major American businesses go on endlessly about how they've got the best team, offer the best product / service, etc. No matter how often you choose to drone on about how this "culture" is so endemic in CO, it doesn't make it so. In the years I've flown on CO flights I've only had a handful of flights where I had a really great experience - usually it's just average, in the tone of the FAs, quality of service, etc. You don't fly on a US airline for great service.

The hype is excessive at CO. I agree that others do it, but not nearly as bad as CO does it. No other airline, for example, requires you to be belted in, with no electronic devices, and plays over the loudspeaker a propaganda video by its CEO about how great they are.

Just because you are unable or unwilling to see CO's excessive hype doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Old Sep 19, 11, 3:36 pm

I think you have said the same thing in every topic that had even a tiny mention about Continental service. You are pretty obnoxious and I can surely tell from your posts that you use "Rah! Rah! " rhetoric and have a 'better than thou' perception of yourself...it doesn't suit you, in fact, it makes me want to puke. Is this the same experience you feel when you see the safety video every time?

Ual787
Old Sep 19, 11, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual787 View Post
I think you have said the same thing in every topic that had even a tiny mention about Continental service. You are pretty obnoxious and I can surely tell from your posts that you use "Rah! Rah! " rhetoric and have a 'better than thou' perception of yourself...it doesn't suit you, in fact, it makes me want to puke. Is this the same experience you feel when you see the safety video every time?

Ual787

I apologize if you do not like my posts.

Part of a discussion board is about hearing different sides to issues. Nobody knows everything, and I've certainly learned a lot from the perspectives of my co-posters. You're certainly welcome to include your opinion or perspective on any topic, much as I did on this one.
Old Sep 19, 11, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

Ual787
ual787 - watch your tone. As much as I don't always agree with channa, I do respect the posts and content. As you're somewhat new here, I'd suggest to refrain from judging the posters here for a little while.
Old Sep 19, 11, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
The hype is excessive at CO. I agree that others do it, but not nearly as bad as CO does it. No other airline, for example, requires you to be belted in, with no electronic devices, and plays over the loudspeaker a propaganda video by its CEO about how great they are.

Just because you are unable or unwilling to see CO's excessive hype doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
EK does it - lasts about 10 minutes in English and Arabic and is played immediately after takeoff, with just as captive an audience. Several other airlines have similar promotional videos. The CO experience is tame compared with the EK one.
Old Sep 19, 11, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
EK does it - lasts about 10 minutes in English and Arabic and is played immediately after takeoff, with just as captive an audience. Several other airlines have similar promotional videos. The CO experience is tame compared with the EK one.

Once CO provides me with EK-like service, I'll shut up about the hype.
Old Sep 19, 11, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler

Ual787
Love it when people with 12 posts to their name swoop in with posts like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: