Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Discontinued Programs/Partners

Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)

Is there heightened security at EWR due to 9/11 Anniversary?

Old Sep 9, 11, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,

I'm sitting here watching NYC local news and the city is awash with checkpoints and traffic backups due to fear of terrorist attacks with the upcoming 10th Aniversary of 9/11.

I'm driving my friends to EWR tomorrow morning and I'm thinking security might be heightened there as well. Has anyone encountered this today or does anyone know if this is the plan for EWR over the weekend.
Old Sep 9, 11, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
I'm sitting here watching NYC local news and the city is awash with checkpoints and traffic backups due to fear of terrorist attacks with the upcoming 10th Aniversary of 9/11.

I'm driving my friends to EWR tomorrow morning and I'm thinking security might be heightened there as well. Has anyone encountered this today or does anyone know if this is the plan for EWR over the weekend.
There nothing posted on CO or UA's websites, but I think it would be safe to assume there is a heightened state around the NYC corridor (so probably best to arrive earlier then normal).
Old Sep 9, 11, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
The city was insanely annoying today. Checkpoints, bumper to bumper traffic, non-stop sirens, you name it. At least the subway was nice and empty. Anyway, it got me thinking- do you think CO waived change fees for those who were sufficiently terrified about flying to our fine city? Never thought I'd say this but I wish it was Monday already.
Old Sep 10, 11, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Friends left EWR Without a hitch. No problems at all.
Old Sep 10, 11, 8:16 pm

Going to EWR via shuttle from Manhattan on Friday took two hours. We were stopped twice along the way for security checks (once after the tunnel and once right before entering EWR on the ramp).

At one point, I was worried that I would miss the flight even though I left a 3 hour buffer!!! Nice to know there's security -- but it's a pain in the butt!
Old Sep 10, 11, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
as far as i know, EWR itself hasn't changed anything procedurally. but traffic will most likely be a nightmare, especially if you're leaving from manhattan. i know the tunnel traffic both ways are a complete mess and traffic on the island is awful too.
Old Sep 11, 11, 9:56 am

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
Helpful Traffic Website for NYC/NNJ

Local CBS-TV site updates area traffic for NYC & Northern NJ every 10 to 20 minutes: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/traffic/

Search this Thread