FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   The latest OnePass auctions insanity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1251672-latest-onepass-auctions-insanity.html)

sbm12 Aug 25, 2011 2:46 pm

The latest OnePass auctions insanity

I signed up for an account a while ago when they were offering free miles to do so. I apparently still get the emails for it. I know I can just unsubscribe and avoid the junk mail but apparently I never have as I got an alert from them today about some special auctions they are currently running.

I think the entertainment value I got out of clicking the link was worth more than the few points I got for enrolling. With only 20 days and 17 hours remaining this 32GB iPad 2 WiFi which retails for $599 is available for only 157K points. And there are 38 people who have bid on it.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...age_thumb3.png

It hurts. So much.

:(

FriendlySkies Aug 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Got the same email.. 157K?! :eek:

Back when F9 still had their MoreStore, they auctioned a new Merdeces SUV, which sold for 500K~ miles.. I wonder who would waste that many miles to get an iPad...

MileHighGuy Aug 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Maybe it's someone who really, really, really hates CO and is dumping their miles to move to another carrier?

golfingboy Aug 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by MileHighGuy (Post 16995053)
Maybe it's someone who really, really, really hates CO and is dumping their miles to move to another carrier?

And CO will be thrilled that person is dumping the miles on an iPad...

Red_Rob Aug 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Maybe someone who really dislikes the IFE on CO flights?

mht_flyer Aug 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Same here, I thought I'd take a look.

193,000 miles right now -- someone sure doesn't understand the value of those miles :(

cruisr Aug 26, 2011 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by mht_flyer (Post 17000803)
Same here, I thought I'd take a look.

193,000 miles right now -- someone sure doesn't understand the value of those miles :(

OMG who are these people?????

trm2 Aug 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Now, if that was SkyPesos...

I got the email last night too and couldn't believe it.

Let's see,

Should I fly 2 BF seats to Europe or get an iPad? Decisions decisions.

TommyC80 Aug 26, 2011 3:51 pm

More miles than sense...that's okay; It takes OP miles off CO's books and makes my miles more valuable.

I say "spend away" to those numbskulls!

sbm12 Aug 26, 2011 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80 (Post 17002140)
More miles than sense...that's okay; It takes OP miles off CO's books and makes my miles more valuable.

I say "spend away" to those numbskulls!

I'd rather they let me buy them an iPad and give me the miles. I'll be happy to take them off CO's books, too. :cool:

CLEHillbilly Aug 26, 2011 5:15 pm

I paid 175k years ago for a Disney on Ice Loge for 18 persons and thought that was ridiculous, but I did that for my relatives/friends kids so I said #$&@ it.

This auction is just crazy though....

cerealmarketer Aug 27, 2011 8:12 am

Sadly it's this kind of thing that makes Delta's three tier reward system work so well for Delta's interests.

Lots of average folks with miles sitting around view them as 'free money' and treat them accordingly. If they have enough miles in the bank, they'll use em all.

jkburns1 Aug 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 17005602)
Sadly it's this kind of thing that makes Delta's three tier reward system work so well for Delta's interests.

Lots of average folks with miles sitting around view them as 'free money' and treat them accordingly. If they have enough miles in the bank, they'll use em all.

That's exactly what it is... Had a co-worker about 2 years ago use a pile of miles/points (maybe via Amex don't recall source but they were transferrable into a big ol chunk of miles). He bought some sort of Bose system valued at bout $800. I remember showing him a RT BF tatl valued at about $3-4K for he and his wife with similar usage and he suddenly looked pale. Lucky for him I didn't show it to him in front of his wife. :D

kb1992 Aug 27, 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 17005602)

There is always a sucker born every 5 min. :D:D

wcalvert Sep 5, 2011 11:29 am

Up to 256,000 miles.

YIKES