Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

First time upgrade on United metal, wasn't overly impressed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Flew IAH-ORD on Sunday on a United 767-300 and was UG to FC which is always nice especially since I am only Silver so far!

Interesting just to see the differences between CO and UA as far as how they do things. Not trying to knock UA but I've grown accustomed to the CA FC cabin and would tend to give it higher marks based on this recent flight but then again this size jet isn't in the current CO fleet.

1. No choices on pre-flight drinks, only water or OJ offered.
2. One male FA barking orders to turn of devices even before the PA announcement makes his way through the cabin and literally stands next to folks who are trying to power down. Sort of intimidating.
3. 20 minutes or so after the takeoff, drink orders are taken.
4. White napkins are put on the tray tables by FA.
5. Drinks arrive and are delivered from front of cabin to the back
6. Hot towels the size of baby wash clothes are handed out, made my wife and I laugh at the size. Nowhere to put them when done except on the nice white table cloth making it wet, eventually picked up.
7. FA starts at the back of cabin asking 2 pass. at a time which breakfast they want, then goes and gets it and goes to the next row as she works her way forward.
8. I had the egg entree, not bad but not nearly as hot as on CO FC. My wife had the fruit and cereal offering and the fruit plate was big and had nice choices.
9. Overall the seats were comfy but seemed slightly narrower than on CO. Also the headrests have to be lowered for takeoff and landing and aren't real comfortable hitting at my shoulder blade. And when was the last time you had those old corded phones in your arm rest? Do they even work anymore?
10. Lavs and rest of cabin were fine but you could really see the wear and tear, not sure how old these planes are but they could use a spruce up!
11. Other then the one FA barking at the beginning the FAs were nice and prompt and had no problems refilling drinks when asked to.
12 Flight arrived ahead of schedule and we even got a gate right away!

Enjoyed the flight and the upgrade!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Flew IAH-ORD on Sunday on a United 767-300 and was UG to FC which is always nice especially since I am only Silver so far!

Interesting just to see the differences between CO and UA as far as how they do things. Not trying to knock UA but I've grown accustomed to the CA FC cabin and would tend to give it higher marks based on this recent flight but then again this size jet isn't in the current CO fleet.

2. One male FA barking orders to turn of devices even before the PA announcement makes his way through the cabin and literally stands next to folks who are trying to power down. Sort of intimidating.
3. 20 minutes or so after the takeoff, drink orders are taken.
4. White napkins are put on the tray tables by FA.
5. Drinks arrive and are delivered from front of cabin to the back
6. Hot towels the size of baby wash clothes are handed out, made my wife and I laugh at the size. Nowhere to put them when done except on the nice white table cloth making it wet, eventually picked up.
7. FA starts at the back of cabin asking 2 pass. at a time which breakfast they want, then goes and gets it and goes to the next row as she works her way forward.
8. I had the egg entree, not bad but not nearly as hot as on CO FC. My wife had the fruit and cereal offering and the fruit plate was big and had nice choices.
9. Overall the seats were comfy but seemed slightly narrower than on CO. Also the headrests have to be lowered for takeoff and landing and aren't real comfortable hitting at my shoulder blade. And when was the last time you had those old corded phones in your arm rest? Do they even work anymore?
10. Lavs and rest of cabin were fine but you could really see the wear and tear, not sure how old these planes are but they could use a spruce up!
11. Other then the one FA barking at the beginning the FAs were nice and prompt and had no problems refilling drinks when asked to.
12 Flight arrived ahead of schedule and we even got a gate right away!

Enjoyed the flight and the upgrade!
I'm confused (not so unusual, I know). You start off in the headline by saying you weren't impressed, and finish by saying you enjoyed the flight and upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, actually CO does have similar sized equipment being the 764 which is a bit larger and the 762 which is smaller......

Of course, the seating in the domestic UA 763s in F is six across while it is five across in the BF cabins on board CO's 767s....

However, it appears all of UA's domestic 763s will be getting new lie flat seats in F so this situation should improve.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
i think the pmua folks call them ghetto birds. cracks me up.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Headrest is the biggest issue for me, really uncomfortable.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by bearkatt
i think the pmua folks call them ghetto birds. cracks me up.
Indeed they are ghetto birds!

OP, sadly your first UA upgrade was on the worst mainline plane in the fleet for first. Fortunately the recently announced fleet upgrades will eliminate those horrible narrow F seats and replace them with flat beds. And, predeparture beverages will be improved in September.. no more standard water/oj.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danville 1K
I'm confused (not so unusual, I know). You start off in the headline by saying you weren't impressed, and finish by saying you enjoyed the flight and upgrade.
Sorry, I meant I wasn't impressed in that the flight was no better then or equal to what I am used to on CO but I did enjoy the upgrade as always and safely getting to my semi final destination!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, actually CO does have similar sized equipment being the 764 which is a bit larger and the 762 which is smaller......

Of course, the seating in the domestic UA 763s in F is six across while it is five across in the BF cabins on board CO's 767s....
Thanks for clarifying that, I don't think I've been on that model in FC. My main reason for mentioning their model is that the size of FC might be why they don't do pre flight drink orders or serve the food the way they do. Like I said, this was my first FC UA flight.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Fortunately the recently announced fleet upgrades will eliminate those horrible narrow F seats and replace them with flat beds. And, predeparture beverages will be improved in September.. no more standard water/oj.
That's why I like Flyer Talk. It's like going to the Oracle of Delphi!^^
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
fwiw, I always put my used towel on the armrest, keeping the table cloth dry..
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Free UG as a lowly Silver and the guys complaining.

Unreal. 
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC

OP, sadly your first UA upgrade was on the worst mainline plane in the fleet for first. Fortunately the recently announced fleet upgrades will eliminate those horrible narrow F seats and replace them with flat beds. And, predeparture beverages will be improved in September.. no more standard water/oj.
Of course the flip side of that coin is number of seats in the cabin will shrink, making it even less likely the 2Ps/Silvers will ever experience the upgrades in the future.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Continental250K
Free UG as a lowly Silver and the guys complaining.

Unreal. 
 Unreal, indeed.

I am curious about silver EUA success percentage on CO.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This will be changing to the CO version very soon.
Some crew are better than others.
6. Hot towels the size of baby wash clothes are handed out, made my wife and I laugh at the size.
I've never noticed them to be particularly different in size than the CO ones.
9. Overall the seats were comfy but seemed slightly narrower than on CO. Also the headrests have to be lowered for takeoff and landing and aren't real comfortable hitting at my shoulder blade.
Agreed, though apparently it doesn't matter to many since that's only for 30-45 minutes of the trip.
And when was the last time you had those old corded phones in your arm rest? Do they even work anymore?
No, they do not.

I don't find the upgrade on the domestic 763 to be particularly "special" versus E+ on the same plane. I actually traded my F seat with a woman in E+ on my last DEN-HNL flight so she and her husband could sit together. The FAs actually got a bit mad at me for making the trade.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:23 pm

What's the best mainline plane in their fleet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.