Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from PAID F to Y, while elites in Y were upgraded to F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from PAID F to Y, while elites in Y were upgraded to F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
The post referenced did not get IDB compensation. IDB compensation would have been cash, not a $500 coupon.
not trying to argue, but isnt IDB what the airline offers within the law?

if they offer a cert and you take it, isnt that legit? if they off some BS and then I/you/the pax envokes said law (not sure what exactly the law is) then they must adhere, but if they offer me a bag of peanuts and a seat on a later flight and i except, arent they in the clear?

kinda like how VDB comp starts at $200 and then seems to go up when nobody bites....

maybe im confusing IDB with VDB. it seems the pax in question in EWR might have been considered VDB.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by dlen111

if they offer a cert and you take it, isnt that legit? if they off some BS and then I/you/the pax envokes said law (not sure what exactly the law is) then they must adhere, but if they offer me a bag of peanuts and a seat on a later flight and i except, arent they in the clear?

kinda like how VDB comp starts at $200 and then seems to go up when nobody bites....

maybe im confusing IDB with VDB. it seems the pax in question in EWR might have been considered VDB.
The passenger didn't sign anything, so no the airline shouldn't be off the hook for IDB compensation. The really important thing here is that IDB should go into the airlines stats with dot. They get singed if the IDB numbers go to high, and reporting is required. Dropping that cert was a salve to shut them up so the passengers wouldn't complain, and they didn't thus getting the airline off the hook.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dlen111

Well, from the comp perspective you're right. But from a reporting perspective, you're still an IDB if you're denied boarding at the airline's request. Even if you accept certificate compensation instead of cash, you're still an IDB if you did not have the option to board the plane.

You're a VDB if the airline is seeking volunteers and you respond to a solicitation for said volunteers (or if you ask if they're looking for volunteers and they say they are).

So it's tough to tell what happened here. Did the downgrade cause an oversell, hence the rebook? Or was the redcoat looking for F space and simply accommodated? We really don't know, and frankly, I wouldn't care. So long as the OP gets compensated reasonably.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Most definitely you are due compensation in the form of a fare difference refund a downgrade cert - in addition, IIRC, CO has policies in place to handle these situations and the agents being well aware of the situation should have been working with the appropriate ops folks to downgrade the lowest-level EUA'd Elites one by one until the number of displaced paid (fare paid, mileage upgrade or SWU) passengers were assigned F seats.

Why this process wasn't followed is beyond me - it has certainly been discussed in the forum before.
Because he was in Newark where nobody cares what happens to you as long as the aircraft leaves the gate!!!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by dbaker

I have been on the other end of that equation -- I was EUA'd IAH-EWR on a 772 that was swapped to a 764. Everyone in a seat that didn't exist on the 764 (e.g., the E column, rows 8-11, etc) was downgraded to coach.

Dozens of paid BF pax connecting in EWR rode in Y while plenty of upgraded Y pax rode in the recliner 764 BF seats.
Yes, this seems to be a general, crappy policy. UA metal did this to me recently from Economy Plus down to Economy due to a plane change. Why, I asked, were three of us sent down to E rather the rebooked in E+. I was told that there was someone else in one of three E+ seats. I suggested that they switch his seat (move one person rather than three), but that did not fly.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat
Hi Everyone, just an update...

I called the elite line to give them my report and they "guaranteed" a call back within 24 hours... 48 hours have now gone by, and nada.

Also, I was given Jeff Smisek's email... this seems too easy, does he really read complaints sent directly from customers or does this just bounce to Customer Service? I asked the phone agent and she said I'd get a personal response from the big man himself, but this still seems strange...
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Continited
... As I was walking down the jetway the Red Coat chased after me and handed me a $500 voucher. Based on my past experiences with vouchers, they are virtually unusable.....
I have never had a bad experience using the voucher, matter of fact I just used one with no issues. I am not sure why you had bad experiences in the past.

IMO the CS handled it poorly and they should of downgraded someone, actually that has happened to me and I received generous compensation.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Hi Everyone, just an update...

I called the elite line to give them my report and they "guaranteed" a call back within 24 hours... 48 hours have now gone by, and nada.

Also, I was given Jeff Smisek's email... this seems too easy, does he really read complaints sent directly from customers or does this just bounce to Customer Service? I asked the phone agent and she said I'd get a personal response from the big man himself, but this still seems strange...
Even if he doesn't read them himself, he would have a response team tasked to responding to the complaints that hit the executive office. It is definitely worth the email.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, IHG Plat Amb, MC Gold, HH Gold, MLife Platinum, Caesars Diamond
Smile

First let me tell you that the situation you experienced is totally unacceptable and I hate this "Just deal with Customer Service when you get home" attitude, which is becoming increasingly common these days.

I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news but something like this happened to me before, although, i made a voluntary change on an int'l "Z" fare and accepted the "Y" seat on the domestic portion (so I wouldn't have to sit in EWR for 5 1/2 hours.

I'm sure you can imagine what the GA told me, yep, "Call Customer Service when you get home"...well I did just that and was told the following..

Your "Z" fare, which is a discounted business class ticket was purchased at $2163.50, however the full "Y" fare for the route was $4542.50..so therefore, there is no refund due.

For a just a split second, I thought they were going to tell me because I made a voluntary change, I was going to have to pay the difference of $2,379. LOL, can you imagine?? That would definitely be a change Jeff would like!

Not sure if this will apply in your case based on what you paid for your "Z" fare, but just wanted to avoid further disappointment, if they tell you the $500 voucher is all you are going to get. However, the way you were treated definitely deserves something in addition.

Let us know when you receive resolution.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by icydog
Because he was in Newark where nobody cares what happens to you as long as the aircraft leaves the gate!!!
You can say that again!!! I was travelling back from Aruba to IAH via EWR a few years ago. Our plane was late getting into EWR and I only had about 10 mins to run to my new gate. Of course they were finished boarding and the gate agent yelled at me and said that I should have been there 30 mins prior?????
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dbaker
IMO, any confirmed-at-ticketing (J/D/Z/B-up/M-up or mileage) is equal since the passenger paid the asking price for the seat.
Y/B/M-up tickets are really cach fares for coach tickets that come with the possibility (sometimes instantly available) of an upgrade. If something happens to cause the upgrade to be lost, Y/B/M pax will likely be told that they bought a coach seat. Downgrade compensation may be offered depending on the exact circumstances. In this case, a Z ticket was purchased and downgrade compensation is definitely to be expected.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FLDave
First let me tell you that the situation you experienced is totally unacceptable and I hate this "Just deal with Customer Service when you get home" attitude, which is becoming increasingly common these days.

I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news but something like this happened to me before, although, i made a voluntary change on an int'l "Z" fare and accepted the "Y" seat on the domestic portion (so I wouldn't have to sit in EWR for 5 1/2 hours.

I'm sure you can imagine what the GA told me, yep, "Call Customer Service when you get home"...well I did just that and was told the following..

Your "Z" fare, which is a discounted business class ticket was purchased at $2163.50, however the full "Y" fare for the route was $4542.50..so therefore, there is no refund due.
This is unreasonable since the Z fare you had was not nearly as flexible as the Y fare they were trying to compare to.

It would be reasonable to pro-rate the refund based on the ratio of the Y and J fares. If say Y is 60% of J, refund 40% of your Z when you're bumped down.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That's just plain wrong. Call back and ask again. If you get the same reaction ask the agent to lk in the CO system at the text of GG OVS DOWNGRADE. More details on this, and some links, are available here.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: MileagePlus: 1k 2012; Continental Platinum 2010-11
I say this because every voucher I've received in the past few years from CO (since this compensation routine is becoming more and more routine) has been restricted to the point that the voucher is not worth using. There are usually so many rules, such as restricted travel days, fare classes, etc. that using the voucher becomes more hassle than its worth.

And honestly, after being treated like this, why on earth would I want to buy $500 worth of anything from CO in the near future?
Kinda strange about the voucher issue...over the past 2 years, Ive had one 500 dollar and one 250 dollar voucher...both I used with no restrictions...in fact the 500 dollar one, I got to use it twice because my tickets came out to about 250 a pop...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That's just plain wrong. Call back and ask again. If you get the same reaction ask the agent to lk in the CO system at the text of GG OVS DOWNGRADE. More details on this, and some links, are available here.

Take the refund now. Next year, it might be a different story. Taking a refund on a downgrade might require that you relinquish your status in the revenue-based program. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.