Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from PAID F to Y, while elites in Y were upgraded to F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from PAID F to Y, while elites in Y were upgraded to F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Call back, ask someone to look up GG OVS DOWNGRADE in the system and then to process the TCV and refund as indicated therein. That you were on a connecting itinerary makes it a bit harder to calculate the refund bit, but they should be able to figure it out.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Most definitely you are due compensation in the form of a fare difference refund a downgrade cert - in addition, IIRC, CO has policies in place to handle these situations and the agents being well aware of the situation should have been working with the appropriate ops folks to downgrade the lowest-level EUA'd Elites one by one until the number of displaced paid (fare paid, mileage upgrade or SWU) passengers were assigned F seats.

Why this process wasn't followed is beyond me - it has certainly been discussed in the forum before.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Wow, just wow. I can't wait until these cretins take over the UA metal equipment change process.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:21 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Continited
As I was walking down the jetway the Red Coat chased after me and handed me a $500 voucher. Based on my past experiences with vouchers, they are virtually unusable, so I hardly accept this as appropriate compensation...
That is the downgrade compensation, you are still also entitled to a refund in the fare difference between F and Y...

How is the voucher is unusable? Do you book any of your travels [personal as well?] on CO.com??
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Oh joy, yet another example of COs poor handling of well, life, when it comes to air travel. So not looking forward to the final combination

OP- I hope you call in and do get your compensation plus refund (make sure it is credited back, not just a voucher) for the fare difference. It's bs for any elite or other to be upgraded, while a paying passenger is screwed around like that. You might also want to file the dot complaint to add it to COs statistics .... Good luck
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:48 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Wait a minute, I thought this is the type of pax that UA/CO is chasing after, judging from the rumored new MP. How in the world would anyone develop loyalty after experiencing this?? Perhaps OP would have been treated differently if he/she was on full fare F?

LAX
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
How is the voucher is unusable? Do you book any of your travels [personal as well?] on CO.com??
"Sorry we didn't deliver the product you purchased, would you like to buy another?"
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Oh joy, yet another example of COs poor handling of well, life, when it comes to air travel. So not looking forward to the final combination

OP- I hope you call in and do get your compensation plus refund (make sure it is credited back, not just a voucher) for the fare difference. It's bs for any elite or other to be upgraded, while a paying passenger is screwed around like that. You might also want to file the dot complaint to add it to COs statistics .... Good luck

And with UA he would have been better off speaking with someone in India when there is no UA metal EWR-IAH? Or using .bomb to reroute him? <sigh>

There is no need for the UA or CO bashing from either side, we are one company/team now.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly
And with UA he would have been better off speaking with someone in India when there is no UA metal EWR-IAH? Or using .bomb to reroute him? <sigh>

There is no need for the UA or CO bashing from either side, we are one company/team now.

Not yet, I still got a few months of UA bashing left!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
That is the downgrade compensation, you are still also entitled to a refund in the fare difference between F and Y...

The voucher should very useable. Just book online and enter the coupon code. If there fare is $500 then the ticket is free.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
"Sorry we didn't deliver the product you purchased, would you like to buy another?"
Yes, I get that point, however the OP is a Platinum, so it is safe to assume that the OP flies on CO frequently?

Originally Posted by cova
The voucher should very useable. Just book online and enter the coupon code. If there fare is $500 then the ticket is free.
Correct, that is why I am inquiring what the OP means
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat
I say this because every voucher I've received in the past few years from CO (since this compensation routine is becoming more and more routine) has been restricted to the point that the voucher is not worth using. There are usually so many rules, such as restricted travel days, fare classes, etc. that using the voucher becomes more hassle than its worth.

And honestly, after being treated like this, why on earth would I want to buy $500 worth of anything from CO in the near future?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:17 pm

I say this because every voucher I've received in the past few years from CO (since this compensation routine is becoming more and more routine) has been restricted to the point that the voucher is not worth using. There are usually so many rules, such as restricted travel days, fare classes, etc. that using the voucher becomes more hassle than its worth.

And honestly, after being treated like this, why on earth would I want to buy $500 worth of anything from CO in the near future?
If it is an Electronic Transportation Credit Voucher [eTCV] it should work on any bookings on CO.com and when you reach the booking page just put in the coupon code and it will take $500 off from whatever air travel purchase you are making. If it is less than $500 the voucher will carry residual value for future bookings. Also, if you do not want it, you can give it away to someone. There are no restrictions except that it must be booked through Continental.

I don't blame you if you don't want to travel with CO again... You did not deserve to be treated like this, especially a Platinum on a BusinessFirst ticket... CO indeed screwed up big time here and god knows how many customers like you have been burned like this in the past.

When I was downgraded after an upgrade due to an equipment swap in IAH, upon arriving at the gate, I inquired at the gate and they already had my new boarding pass in hand with a confirmed reclining exit row seat and a $200 eTCV along with my boarding pass... The supervisor was there helping the other gate agents in dealing with that flight as well. Then I told the agent I cannot sit in the exit row, he said no problem and moved me up to the best bulkhead seat on the 752... Also, I was rebooked into "Y" if I am not happy and want to change flights, but I was satisfied with my seat and I wanted to go home. I wish other gate agents were as organized, accommodating, and professional as the gate agents I encountered in IAH on that day.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:20 pm

The only "vouchers" from CO that have anything remotely resembling the restrictions you describe are the Chase CC coupons. And those are pretty much worthless.

What you have is a $500 "same as cash" form of payment with the only restrictions being that it must be used on co.com, used against CO/CM/UA metal and it only counts for airfare, not for other fees.

The $500 TCV is actually high for the GG OVS DOWNGRADE comp on the voucher side. You are also still probably due a partial fare refund based on policy, however, so I'd call that in still.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on my past experiences with vouchers, they are virtually unusable, so I hardly accept this as appropriate compensation...
Well, your situation was quite unfortunate and poorly handled by CO based on your description, but this statement above is just plain misinformed. That said, I think you should be entitled to a cash refund of the fare difference between a Z fare and lowest available coach fare at the time of your ticket purchase on the EWR-IAH route. If you don't receive an appropriate response fom CO I would definitely file a complaint with the DOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.