Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

About the pre-clearance at GUM for a flight GUM - HNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am planning to take a flight from NRT to GUM, stay one night there, and take a flight from GUM to HNL the next day (indeed, the Contenental's island hopper!). All the materials and literature say that I should check pre-clearance at GUM before taking a flight to HNL. So I want to know the exact process how can I pass the pre-clearance. For example, after check-in at GUM, where is the place for the pre-clearance?

For a reference, I am not a US citizen, and will go to GUM with ESTA.

Thanks in advance for your kindness.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NEXUS, Global Entry
At GUM, pre-clearance is at the gate en route to boarding the aircraft.
You will still have to clear at HNL as well.
BTW, the HNL fandango is especially fun when you have to exit the AC, clear Immigration and Customs, walk out arrival, back upstairs to departures, clear TSA, and get back on the very same AC you just exited. Especially if you get the grope. An hour of your life you'll never get back.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
On the non-stop GUM-HNL, you'd clear US immigration at GUM and customs at HNL (because Guam has their own customs zone).

Since you'll be on the island hopper, perhaps you'll skip the "full" USCIS immigration at GUM (but you'll still need to pre-clear) and instead have to go through USCIS immigration and customs at HNL since they may not be able to separate passengers boarding at GUM from passengers getting on at one of the FSM stops.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by xhakii
Hi all,

GUM to HNL the next day (indeed, the Contenental's island hopper!).
Let us know how you like the hopper. I've been to Guam four times and each time I think about taking the hopper and then chicken out.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Michael El
Let us know how you like the hopper. I've been to Guam four times and each time I think about taking the hopper and then chicken out.

Taken the hopper a couple times, it's great.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:42 pm

on the island hopper you clear customs and immigration in honolulu, the pre-clearance is only for the nonstop to honolulu.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vunder31
Since you'll be on the island hopper, perhaps you'll skip the "full" USCIS immigration at GUM (but you'll still need to pre-clear) and instead have to go through USCIS immigration and customs at HNL since they may not be able to separate passengers boarding at GUM from passengers getting on at one of the FSM stops.
Originally Posted by drwoo
on the island hopper you clear customs and immigration in honolulu, the pre-clearance is only for the nonstop to honolulu.

Thank you for your reply.

According to your reply, I have to pass through US immigration twice, once at GUM and the other at HNL, and also have to pass through USCBP pre-clearance at GUM before the departure flight. Am I right?

Then the non-stop flight from GUM to HNL arrives at domestic terminal and the island hopper (with 4 or 5 stops) from GUM to HNL arrives at the international arrivals. Are these also true?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael El
Hi Michael, this is my first time to take the island hopper CO956. I have chosen this flight mainly because this seems to be quite interesting. Furthermore, CO Micronesia recently announced that they will change the flight numbers CO956/957 to CO172/154 soon, so I just wanted to take the flight with number 956 before the flight number change. =)

The only thing that bothers me is that I should pass through US immigration twice.. (according to the thread)
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by xhakii
Thank you for your reply.
According to your reply, I have to pass through US immigration twice, once at GUM and the other at HNL, and also have to pass through USCBP pre-clearance at GUM before the departure flight. Am I right?
Then the non-stop flight from GUM to HNL arrives at domestic terminal and the island hopper (with 4 or 5 stops) from GUM to HNL arrives at the international arrivals. Are these also true?
Non-stop GUM-HNL: passengers clear immigration at GUM, but clear customs at HNL. Passengers arrive at the international terminal, but bypass the immigration desks.

Island hopper: Since you fly NRT-GUM one day and GUM-HNL the next day, I assume that you will leave the terminal in GUM, so you will clear USCBP immigration and Guam customs. There is a pre-screen of your passport and visa (if any) before you get to the island hopper gate. This pre-screening is done to make sure that transfer passengers and citizens of certain nationalities who can enter Guam without a visa but require a visa to enter the "proper" US have the paperwork needed to enter the US if they are going all the way to HNL.
Because the island hopper stops at CNMI destinations (under different immigration jurisdiction than US) before getting to HNL, you go through both immigration and customs at HNL.

Last edited by Vunder31; Jul 31, 2011 at 2:35 am
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I'm so glad you started this thread as it will help me with planning my Guam trip next March. Looks like they don't run the island hopper on Saturdays.

I'm also going to be taking a run up to Seoul during the trip leaving Guam on a Thursday morning and returning the following Monday.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: CoAir Platinum; UAL 1K; HH Diamond
Have a great time on the Island Hopper!

My wife I took it last September westbound for "fun" en-route ROR.

The only "bad" part was that the terminal on Truk had no working A/C when we stopped-in.

FYI, The other island terminals don't have A/C either ... but they're designed that way (you'll see what I mean when you get there)

Truk on the other hand has a "modern" waiting room (meaning it attempts to "fight" nature) ... and where A/C is a near-must when the afternoon sun is streaming in the mostly non-opening windows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.