Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swapping First Class Seat with a Stranger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
People have a real sense of entitlement.
My favorite was back in poor-man's first, exit row 757 EWR to Paris. Two French guys had the two middle seats, perhaps there was a language barrier involved, but they explained to the American in the aisle across from me, "Our policy is to sit together..." and the kid went for it. (I always suspect couples separated like this made a play at check-in, giving up perfectly good seats together in hopes of making some such plea work.)

None of my business, but then another French traveler tried squeezing her two loose bottles of wine between the overhead bin door and a duffle, over another fellow American's head, and I intervened. (I also started to question my "one world" world view and my choice of destination.)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: CO - Platinum and SPG - Platinum
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Perhaps you should look at it a different way. The seat belongs to the airline. They are offering it to you as an elite and if you cannot use it, they would prefer to offer it to the next elite. You have possession of the seat and certainly can give it to whomever you choose, but this does violate the spirit of the gift.

So obviously people can give their upgrade to some stranger, but it is certainly not the right thing to do. If I saw this happening, and especially if I was #1 on the upgrade list, I would point this out to the staff and complain.
In the spirit of healthy debate....... All of our elite benefits are complimentary and "owned by the airline". Unless specifically specified once we earn it it's ours under the conditions we agreed to when we accepted them. We can transfer miles, reward tickets, Swu's, and even drink coupons. I can even walk up to the gate with a person and if the seat isn't assigned use my status to upgrade them. So when Continental puts my name on the seat I can do what I want with in reason. I can't sale it or trade it because that's clearly defined. However it doesn't state that if I accept this benefit of getting assigned a first class seat that I can't swap with another pax be it under the table or at the gate officially. The next guy in line doesn't have dibs on an assigned seat. He has dibs on the very next unassigned seat. If I ever get challenged for giving up my seat by the next guy, i would keep it for that matter. He still isn't getting "my" seat.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler
I'm just curious to see how common this is in general. Last night on flight 1512 from FLL to EWR I was upfront across the aisle from an empty seat. I overheard the FA say that a woman didn't want her upgrade because she preferred to sit with her hubby in the back (awwww). I asked the FA where my friend was on the list and he was #2 (another guy was #1). Instead of guy #1 a young woman sat in the seat and explained that the original woman just swapped seats with her. The FAs didn't say a peep.

Have any of you seen this happen a lot in the past? Seems unfair to the many frequent fliers who stay loyal so they can be bumped. This is the first time I've ever seen it happen though -- so maybe it was a fluke.
completely normal, seen it before
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aacharya
But I would've taken something for it....
I was doing it to be nice. I didn't want to be bought. There is no appropriate price for it to me, just a willingness of me to give. That's why I refused to accept anything from him.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Though it seems you made the move halfway through? Surprised that someone didn't ask you during boarding.
Nope...it happened at boarding.

Originally Posted by fragment54
How do you go about it when the girl says she doesn't want your upgrade but probably does or wants you to give it up and sit with her (despite saying she doesn't want that)?
Find a different girl who is not so cling-y.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by NastyNoble357
In the spirit of healthy debate....... All of our elite benefits are complimentary and "owned by the airline". Unless specifically specified once we earn it it's ours under the conditions we agreed to when we accepted them. We can transfer miles, reward tickets, Swu's, and even drink coupons. I can even walk up to the gate with a person and if the seat isn't assigned use my status to upgrade them. So when Continental puts my name on the seat I can do what I want with in reason. I can't sale it or trade it because that's clearly defined. However it doesn't state that if I accept this benefit of getting assigned a first class seat that I can't swap with another pax be it under the table or at the gate officially. The next guy in line doesn't have dibs on an assigned seat. He has dibs on the very next unassigned seat. If I ever get challenged for giving up my seat by the next guy, i would keep it for that matter. He still isn't getting "my" seat.
Completely agree
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by MileHighGuy
You gotta have big cajones to ask someone to move to the back so your companion can sit up front... you sure this was a lady?
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.