Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swapping First Class Seat with a Stranger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:24 pm

Just don't say anything and no one will be the wiser. (Tell the tradee to act natural and keep quiet or else they might lose the seat.)

Not saying I approve or disapprove, just that you were awarded some leverage that you can utilize to get the seat next to your companion.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've seen it and I've done it in the past.

In the past it has caused some fairly heated discussions as to who the seat belongs to, etc, but every time I've done it there has never been an issue.

Of course, I don't stand up at the gate and yell out "Anybody want my First Class seat so I can sit in coach" either.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
First time I ever flew first class was in a situation like this. Woman asked if I would mind switching seats with her husband up at the front, I said no problem.

I think dinner was rack of lamb that day
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Perhaps you should look at it a different way. The seat belongs to the airline. They are offering it to you as an elite and if you cannot use it, they would prefer to offer it to the next elite. You have possession of the seat and certainly can give it to whomever you choose, but this does violate the spirit of the gift.

I had an analogous situation earlier this year when a business associate offered me 2 lakers basketball tickets he couldn't use. I ended up not being able to go to the game and I called my friend so he could give them to someone else. I certainly could have given them to several of my friends or relatives or even sold them but I did not feel that was right.

So obviously people can give their upgrade to some stranger, but it is certainly not the right thing to do. If I saw this happening, and especially if I was #1 on the upgrade list, I would point this out to the staff and complain.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
More than 50% of the time I give my F upgrade to my husband, particularly if we're traveling on a late flight and he's worked all day. We just go to our separate seats and no one has ever said a word.

Why should another elite get that seat over him or even a stranger?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MileHighGuy
You gotta have big cajones to ask someone to move to the back so your companion can sit up front.
Someone asked me the other day on DEN-HNL. I accepted.

If it me and my wife one of us keeps the seat. It is always her choice who gets it. :-:
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:25 am

Yes, sitting in first without them is nearly always a losing proposition unless they made the choice.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by sbm12
If it me and my wife one of us keeps the seat. It is always her choice who gets it. :-:
Bingo. I gave my wife my upgrade on Thursday. I'd only keep it if it were a redeye and I were driving next. I'd take the gratitude for the upgrade over the seat in first, any day.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

Very very classy of you. I would have done the same, considering the situation, especially being on the ghetto bird. But I would've taken something for it....

Though it seems you made the move halfway through? Surprised that someone didn't ask you during boarding.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: CO Silver
Very classy indeed! True Gentleman. I will keep this in mind once I get to experience business/first class travel.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:09 am

How do you go about it when the girl says she doesn't want your upgrade but probably does or wants you to give it up and sit with her (despite saying she doesn't want that)?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Perhaps you should look at it a different way. The seat belongs to the airline. They are offering it to you as an elite and if you cannot use it, they would prefer to offer it to the next elite. You have possession of the seat and certainly can give it to whomever you choose, but this does violate the spirit of the gift.
The only problem is that once you are upgraded, your Y seat next to your spouse has already been taken. In cases where it is still open, I ask to be moved back. If that seat happens to be in the bulkhead or exit row, the odds are that the person who takes your seat has status.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
The only problem is that once you are upgraded, your Y seat next to your spouse has already been taken. In cases where it is still open, I ask to be moved back. If that seat happens to be in the bulkhead or exit row, the odds are that the person who takes your seat has status.
Agree with this... no one wants to trade just to sit back in coach and not to the girl (or the guy as the case may be).

How do those of you who oppose this feel about trading with your siginficant other so they can sit in first and you sit in their coach seat?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fragment54
How do those of you who oppose this feel about trading with your siginficant other so they can sit in first and you sit in their coach seat?
My Silver significant other will never take my F seat, though I offer every time. We travel enough for our respective jobs that it is more important to sit together than ride in F, which we both get to with some frequency when traveling on our own.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MileHighGuy
You gotta have big cajones to ask someone to move to the back so your companion can sit up front... you sure this was a lady?
I've had that happen. I suggested that the perpetrator dial "1-800-GETOFFDRUGS" immediately. There wasn't even a sob story to go with it--not that that would have melted my heart of stone one iota.

Generally, if one is asking someone to do one a favor by switching seats, one should offer the more favorable seat, methinks. People have a real sense of entitlement.

O/H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.