Wiki Posts
Search

My first TOD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
My first TOD

OK, it wasn't for me, but I was checking in for my wife trying to get her a better seat than 25C (non-elite). I was offered IAH-CLE for $89.

Flight was at 7 booked of 20, outside of the OLCI mark for the direct flight, so no waiting list (she is connecting). Now inside the OLCI mark, booked 14/20 with two on the waiting list.

This was one of the "regular price $689" but you can have it for $89 deals.

To make matters worse, I asked her if she wanted me to buy the upgrade and she said no! (well, what does she know, she is getting it any way)

Is this a potential glitch - a TOD offered before the 24 hour mark?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
What's her fare basis? That would help to judget the situation a bit better.

Be sure to see if any elites end up not clearing. This doesn't seem as egregrious as other cases at least.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

She is on a G fare, currently stilll 14/20'with 3 on waitlist. Maybe it is legit.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you see any reason why this is NOT legit?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
So basically 3 elites to upgrade with 3 potentially empty seats; in this isolated situation I don't have a problem with CO trying to make some incremental revenue for moving 3 non-status people into F.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
What does TOD stand for?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jk5598224
What does TOD stand for?
Tens of Dollars. "Coined" (pun intended) as a way to describe CO's willingness to try and squeeze a few last dollars out of elites versus running EUA.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Do you see any reason why this is NOT legit?
This is just the first time I've ever seen it. The TODs I've been offered have always been things like 169.9 TOD. And that is usually just up to M fare.

Still at 14/20 with 4 waitlisted.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Tens of Dollars. "Coined" (pun intended) as a way to describe CO's willingness to try and squeeze a few last dollars out of elites versus running EUA.
OK, I had my first TOD in another thread. $50 ECERT given 2.5 months after nightmare flight/delays/mx etc...

UA would have had a ECERT of $250 or more waiting in my inbox by the time I landed 6 hours late.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk5598224
OK, I had my first TOD in another thread. $50 ECERT given 2.5 months after nightmare flight/delays/mx etc...

UA would have had a ECERT of $250 or more waiting in my inbox by the time I landed 6 hours late.
We wouldn't normally call that a TOD - that's just described as "CO stinginess" / WE DON'T CARE
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
We wouldn't normally call that a TOD - that's just described as "CO stinginess" / WE DON'T CARE
I think a lot of people would call that a smij.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
TOD refers to the anomaly where CO sells upgrades out from under Elites for a nominal sum, usually a result of broken estimating logic because of how maps fares to supposed "like" fares to estimate the fare differential.

From what we see here, this is just a space available upgrade. From the data posted, there were more F seats than Elites projected for upgrade, that CO is selling them for a flat fee. Nothing wrong with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.