Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companions on CO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Companions on CO

Has anybody been burned by traveling with a companion on CO? UA currently allows the higher status to determine the upgrade. CO is the polar opposite, allowing the lower status to determine the upgrade. I am traveling with a companion this weekend who is a 2P, and I am a 1K. Our reservations had to be split so at least I had a chance at clearing. If she doesn't clear, she can have the F seat. I hope the new UA doesn't do things this way. It wouldn't be an "enhancement".
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
It wouldn't be an "enhancement".
Well, that depends on your point of view. If you do 99.9% of your travelling on your own then you probably appreciate clearing upgrades without having to compete with wives, girlfriends and colleagues.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by rruaco
Well, that depends on your point of view. If you do 99.9% of your travelling on your own then you probably appreciate clearing upgrades without having to compete with wives, girlfriends and colleagues.
+1 ^

Although I see the new baggage policy (out today) states that companions must be on same reservation to get checked bag fee waived. Its always been like that in the system, but usually the agent will overide the fee.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
+1 ^

Although I see the new baggage policy (out today) states that companions must be on same reservation to get checked bag fee waived. Its always been like that in the system, but usually the agent will overide the fee.
It still will be, since they were originally on the same reservation.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
CR1s might take some of the pressure off - upgrade companion with CR1 and wait for window for yourself.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
You split the reservation >5 days out, hope for EUA on your reservation, and then add the companion at the airport. They'll clear ahead of any others below your status, if all upgrades haven't already been processed. I've had a very high success rate doing this in the past.

There are pros and cons to both the UA and CO systems. The best of both worlds would be automating the above process, so your companion can get added to the list sooner and not have the risk of others being upgraded through EUA.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I have mixed feelings about it. I have had a much better percentage of upgrades on CO probably because of it, there are not as many companions who got upgraded, but of course, when you are flying with somebody else, it's nice if you can fly together.

Obviously, we can't have it both ways, and I would bet they know it's better to move a few more elites up than it is a few companions for them in the long run.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
I would be happy if companion upgrades became a spouse benefit (like MM status match on CO now). Basically your spouse traveling with you gets upgraded with you based on your same status, but not anyone else. It would require some mechanism to designate your spouse.

Less business colleagues getting upgrades over people with actual status than UA today, and convienient spouse upgrades (like UA today) seems a pretty good balance.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Obviously, we can't have it both ways, and I would bet they know it's better to move a few more elites up than it is a few companions for them in the long run.
In my opinion I should be able to do something like offer up a CR1 or miles for my companion on the understand that this will be taken if and only if I get upgraded with by EUA/UDU.

If they did that I wouldn't care if they took away comp upgrades for companions in their entirety.

(In an ideal world a funded companion upgrade would give the EUA+Companion a slightly better chance of F than straight EUA.)

The other sensible option would be to upgrade based on an average of status on the PNR as opposed to max (UA) or min (CO) status as they presently do. Red_Rob's idea is pretty good too.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Question: are non-status fliers paying for upgrades prioritized over companion upgrades? On SFO-GDL the other night they had 14 people pay $99 and my companion was stuck in coach.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Question: are non-status fliers paying for upgrades prioritized over companion upgrades? On SFO-GDL the other night they had 14 people pay $99 and my companion was stuck in coach.
Yes. Paying (whether with miles or certs) outweighs companion upgrades.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes. Paying (whether with miles or certs) outweighs companion upgrades.
You say miles and certs...to clarify, non status cash upgrades at check in too?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
You say miles and certs...to clarify, non status cash upgrades at check in too?
Yes, cash trumps free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.