Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Do elite benefits still apply to non-elites flying on miles from elite?

Do elite benefits still apply to non-elites flying on miles from elite?

Old Jul 6, 11, 8:26 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Silver, TrueBlue Mosaic, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by UAzip View Post
I believe that the understanding as we know it is that it's a glitch but one that CO has actively not bothered to fix--this may or may not last or may be fixed at any time, theoretically. It's not in writing anywhere that the benefits extend, but the system does it and it's apparently more trouble for them to fix than they feel it's worth, for now. (This is my understanding gathered from posts here anyway.)
I really hope they keep this...such a huge value to the program and makes going for elite status even more important

Originally Posted by ghurty View Post
Does Continental still pass on the benefits of Platinum (ie: preferred seating, free baggage, etc...) to non elites flying mileage tickets that the points came from the Platinum member account (even if the elite is not actually flying)?

Thakns
Yes...sent my wife and two kids up to YYZ for the weekend...they had my boarding privileges and checked baggage allowances.
Old Jul 26, 11, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Plt, CO Gold, Delta Silver(?), Hilton Gold
My sisters are flying on my miles from CLE - SIN and it gave me the option to select their seats on the CO website, I selected economy plus for both of them for the SFO-NRT-SIN United metal. Was wondering if the seats should hold for them without them having to pay the economy plus charge? I checked them in already and it says that their baggage allowance is 3 bags per person at 70 lbs each, so that is good!

Thanks
Old Jul 27, 11, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Plt, CO Gold, Delta Silver(?), Hilton Gold
To answer my own question, YES! It does work. I was able to select the seats through the CO website, and they were able to get EliteAccess and economy plus seating all the way to SIN (SFO-NRT-SIN) without paying. It's nice perk to have since my sister's don't fly to Asia that often, and the added comfort may help them a bit!
Old Nov 17, 11, 3:25 pm

Programs: UAL MM,
I gave a seat to a friend's daughter on UA (I am UA 1K). She reported that she was granted my baggage allowance. Last week I gave a ticket to another friend, this time on CO. I was flying that same morning on DL and I helped her check in at the CO counter. The kiosk prompted her to pay a baggage fee for her single bag. I questioned the counter agent about this and was told I'd have to be traveling with her for her to avoid the bag fee. Was he incorrect?

I haven't seen her yet to ask what happened on her return flight, which was also on CO.
Old Nov 17, 11, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dharma Bum View Post
I gave a seat to a friend's daughter on UA (I am UA 1K). She reported that she was granted my baggage allowance. Last week I gave a ticket to another friend, this time on CO. I was flying that same morning on DL and I helped her check in at the CO counter. The kiosk prompted her to pay a baggage fee for her single bag. I questioned the counter agent about this and was told I'd have to be traveling with her for her to avoid the bag fee. Was he incorrect?

I haven't seen her yet to ask what happened on her return flight, which was also on CO.
Did she change the FF number on the ticket?
Old Nov 22, 11, 7:21 pm

Programs: UAL MM,
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Did she change the FF number on the ticket?
She did not change the FF number. Also she was charged to check her bag on the return as well.
Old Jan 5, 12, 10:21 am

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Originally Posted by Dharma Bum View Post
She did not change the FF number. Also she was charged to check her bag on the return as well.
Just had a similar experience today. Booked a domestic econ ticket on United from my CO account for a non-elite that was traveling today. Check-in agent told the person that he would have gotten a free baggage allowance if it was a CO operated flight, but because the operating flight was United, and they haven't fully merged yet, he had to pay the fee to check his bag.
Old Jan 5, 12, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
On the phone with the PPlat desk today, and a very helpful agent told me that having my status extend to others when traveling on my miles was not a short term loophole or IT glitch, and that there was some recent internal communication that the benefit would remain (and become official).
Old Jan 5, 12, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Gold, WN A-List, Hiltn Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Red_Rob View Post
On the phone with the PPlat desk today, and a very helpful agent told me that having my status extend to others when traveling on my miles was not a short term loophole or IT glitch, and that there was some recent internal communication that the benefit would remain (and become official).
Great news for my parents flying on my miles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: