Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Airlines Reservations Wait Times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive

Hello,

I have grown up flying United Airlines as I lived in SFO and United was the airline of choice. As an adult I have usually flown United. I have flown with CO 9 times between 2009-2011, including an awful trip on CO in BusinessFirst to Europe last summer. Unfortunately I have to fly on CO to Guanajuato next week as United does not fly there.

I have not been impressed with CO except on 1 flight thus far and now I have noticed a long wait time every time I call CO to change something in my itinerary or ask a for help.

I think I have called their reservations lines about 10 times over 2 years and each time the minimum wait time to speak to someone is 20+ minutes.

I usually call between 6pm and midnight and there usually has not been a major weather event. Is this typical CO customer service and wait times?

If this is what United turns into I will switch to American as they are the only other U.S. airline I have enjoyed in premium/economy classes besides United.

I have not enjoyed the changes I have seen in the premium services (blankets, introducing 757 flights to CDG when connecting through IAD, new check-in process etc.) from United thus far in the merger and I am do not like the service I have seen on the 9 CO flights I have flown.

Thanks for any information about wait times. If this is normal when calling CO I will take that into consideration as I decide if I want to fly American in the furture.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Feel your pain as I just had to call AC to get seat reservations and it took 30 minutes on hold.

However, for CO - sounds like you are elite. Are you calling the right number? Unlike UA the CO system has two numbers, and the elite one jumps you to the front of the phone queue - +1-866-354-8326.

You may need to status match from UA to be able to use that number although you can always give it a go and see if it'll accept your MP number these days.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
[QUOTE=Pi7473000;16603361]..... Unfortunately I have to fly on CO to Guanajuato next week as United does not fly there.

Good news...... you do not have to fly CO to get to Guanajuato; you could fly AA, you could fly Aeromexico or you could fly USAir to Ciudad Mexico and then connect with Aeromexico
Try orbitz and you will get all those combinations, some actually cheaper than Continental.
It sounds like you are so unhappy with CO that why waste your time.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat HHonors Diamond
Seems like every other day some new user with a post about long wait times lol.....to merge this with the other threads!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So many elites who all independently report issues with long wait times on CO - supposedly that's not supposed to happen. Ever. I'm guessing everyone is speaking their OP # poorly to the IVR. CO definitely not at fault here. Not at all.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So many elites who all independently report issues with long wait times on CO - supposedly that's not supposed to happen. Ever. I'm guessing everyone is speaking their OP # poorly to the IVR. CO definitely not at fault here. Not at all.
Most people are calling the wrong number. User error.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA nothing
Call another airline. You should not have to beg a company to take your money.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
I think I have called their reservations lines about 10 times over 2 years and each time the minimum wait time to speak to someone is 20+ minutes.

I usually call between 6pm and midnight and there usually has not been a major weather event. Is this typical CO customer service and wait times?
If the most recent call was anytime between this past Friday (computer meltdown), and last nights major weather issue @ ORD, I would say you just *happened* to pick bad times to call.

Also, are you actualy on hold, or do you get the message (like I just did with HHonors): "average wait time is 12 minutes" and they picked up after about 2 min.

Finally, do you currently hold any status with UA/CO?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Once again, if you wish to get right on through to CO:

-> 800-525-0280

-> Say "New"

-> Press 0-0-0

I get through to an agent right away 90% of the time., otherwise about 1-2 minutes on hold. I hold no status.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Once again, if you wish to get right on through to CO:

-> 800-525-0280

-> Say "New"

-> Press 0-0-0

I get through to an agent right away 90% of the time., otherwise about 1-2 minutes on hold. I hold no status.
Then I am informed I need to be transfered to the international department as the person I am speaking with can only handle domestic reservations.

I am waiting for the international reservations department now. 1hr31min so far. I have yet to speak with a human being who can help.

Their computer is too stupid to understand my mileage number so I am experiencing what anyone without status would get.

I got to 2hr 11 min with no answer then hung up.

-------------------

I called back and got the system to recognize my number. Only had to wait about 10 minutes. I can make the system work for me. However I also want to be aware of how the system works for those without status when thinking about the travel advice I give others regarding airline choice.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Jun 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Punch in your number using the keypad, it works much better.

Letters go in based on the key on the pad e.g. LF999999 is entered as 53999999.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
i am calling the plat elite # and have been on hold for over an hour!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=keisari;16603607]
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
..... Unfortunately I have to fly on CO to Guanajuato next week as United does not fly there.

Good news...... you do not have to fly CO to get to Guanajuato; you could fly AA, you could fly Aeromexico or you could fly USAir to Ciudad Mexico and then connect with Aeromexico
Try orbitz and you will get all those combinations, some actually cheaper than Continental.
It sounds like you are so unhappy with CO that why waste your time.
You are right. I am unhappy with Continental....I love United Airlines though so I will continue to fly this airline group in the future until the merger is complete as long as I am on a United operated flight.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infomark
i am calling the plat elite # and have been on hold for over an hour!

I was just on hold for another 30 minutes to make a change to my ticket and gave CO another $300. Luckily my routing was changed to a United operated flight at least to Houston, not onto BJX though.

I also had to call United to change my business class ticket to BKK and waited for just 6 minutes. I love the Friendly Skies!!

It seems many posters here feel I should choose another company, which I will!

American will def. earn my business, which I never thought I would say being a loyal United flyer, but I do not think loyalty matters to this new company anymore. I have enjoyed the First Class serivce on American especially compared to CO!

I still will always admire United employees and their history though!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
On hold now for the OnePass service center--told me to expect a 15 to 20 min wait... no elite line that I know of... no 1-800 number so open the wallet...is this what 'it pays to fly CO' means?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.