Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why are pets not permitted in BF cabin 757,767,777 [threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

I'm confirmed in BF IAH-EZE. I have a chihuahua that I am thinking about taking with me to Argentina, and since he is small, want to bring him in the cabin with me.

I am just looking to find out if anyone has any experiences they can share regarding this

I have heard Argentina has fairly lax rules about bringing a pet to the country , especially if you are just on vacation, so I am not too worried about that.

I know that typically a pet must stay in the carrier the entire flight, but IAH-EZE is about 10-11 hours.

How likely is it that I would be able to take him out of the carrier for brief periods of time while flying? Would it be up to the flight attendants to determine that?

Also, I have heard the the Presidents Club does allow pets as long as they are in their carrier - was also wondering if anyone has experience with that
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
I'm confirmed in BF IAH-EZE. I have a chihuahua that I am thinking about taking with me to Argentina, and since he is small, want to bring him in the cabin with me.

I am just looking to find out if anyone has any experiences they can share regarding this

I have heard Argentina has fairly lax rules about bringing a pet to the country , especially if you are just on vacation, so I am not too worried about that.

I know that typically a pet must stay in the carrier the entire flight, but IAH-EZE is about 10-11 hours.

How likely is it that I would be able to take him out of the carrier for brief periods of time while flying? Would it be up to the flight attendants to determine that?

Also, I have heard the the Presidents Club does allow pets as long as they are in their carrier - was also wondering if anyone has experience with that
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../in_cabin.aspx
In-cabin pet restrictions
  • Only one pet per passenger is allowed in cabin.
  • One pet per flight is allowed in the front cabin (select aircraft only).
  • Four pets per flight are allowed in the Economy cabin on all Continental Airlines, Continental Micronesia, Continental Express and Continental Connection (except flights operated by Cape Air) flights.
  • One pet per flight is allowed in the Economy cabin for Continental Connection flights operated by Cape Air to/from San Juan, PR and within the state of Florida.
  • Pets are not permitted on flights operated by Cape Air dba Continental Connection to/from Guam.
  • Pets are not permitted with unaccompanied minors.
  • Pets are not permitted in the BusinessFirst cabin of Boeing 757, 767 or 777 aircraft due to inadequate storage space under the seat.
  • Customers traveling with an in-cabin pet on a Boeing 757-200 aircraft must be seated by the window.
  • Customers traveling with an in-cabin pet may not be seated in the bulkhead or an emergency exit row.
  • Pets are not permitted on flights to and from Hawaii.
  • Pet must remain in the kennel at all times on board the aircraft.
  • Customer is responsible to determine and comply with all state entry requirements which may apply.
  • Advance arrangements must be made.
  • Pets under eight weeks old are not permitted.
  • Pet must travel on the same flight as the owner.
  • No oxygen will be administered to a pet in the event of an emergency.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Hire a dog sitter or put your pet in a kennel. If I had to put up with your yapping kick-toy dog for 11 hours I would write a very nasty letter to CO and probably despise you.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It looks like you're pretty much screwed flying BusinessFirst and won't be able to bring the dog aboard.

I flew from Johannesburg to FRA one time on LH First upstairs on a 747. The woman next to me had a carrier with a small dog that she let out and held during the flight. I struck up a conversation with her and she asked if I could hold the dog while she went to the restroom and I was happy to oblige (it was a nice dog). He didn't wander around at all... we were just holding him at our seats.

But, soon after someone complained about the dog being out of its cage and the FA told the woman she would have to put him back in because those are the rules. The woman obliged, but she was furious at the people who complained... she said nothing to them but she sure let me know how she felt about them!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The woman obliged, but she was furious at the people who complained... she said nothing to them but she sure let me know how she felt about them!
She was furious because she had to follow the rules?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
In the Travel & Dining section of FT there's a very good forum on Travel With Pets. Some posters there have traveled extensively with their pets.

I know someone who flew with her small dog in F on Lufthansa from Germany to Houston. He was supposedly mildly sedated, but still had difficulties with the length of the trip. He woke up at one point and staggered around the cabin (the other passengers and the FAs didn't seem to mind that he was out of his carrier) and looked generally dizzy and ill, according to my friend. He was at least 13 years old at the time, so it's not terribly surprising, I guess. She thinks the vet gave him too much sedative or something too strong, maybe.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
It looks like you're pretty much screwed flying BusinessFirst and won't be able to bring the dog aboard.

I flew from Johannesburg to FRA one time on LH First upstairs on a 747. The woman next to me had a carrier with a small dog that she let out and held during the flight. I struck up a conversation with her and she asked if I could hold the dog while she went to the restroom and I was happy to oblige (it was a nice dog). He didn't wander around at all... we were just holding him at our seats.

But, soon after someone complained about the dog being out of its cage and the FA told the woman she would have to put him back in because those are the rules. The woman obliged, but she was furious at the people who complained... she said nothing to them but she sure let me know how she felt about them!
I'm a dog person. While I agree that many dogs aren't going to cause issues -- those rules are put in place for a reason. If the dog was not properly trained/behaved and bit someone on the plane, then the airline would be responsible!

That being said, I don't think I would have the guts to keep my dog in a cage/kennel for an long haul international trip (in the cabin or not) -- I highly suggest a dog sitter!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO

2 magic words on boarding: "service animal".
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by caseminole
I'm confirmed in BF IAH-EZE.
I'd suggest you REALLY research and familiarize yourself with the restrictions and requirements for importing a pet into Argentina instead of relying on what you've "heard" (and print out every single regulation and form you can find), as well as the restrictions and requirements to bring your pet back home with you (to IAH?). I've traveled twice internationally with a dog, and the red tape can be a nightmare. Make sure you follow EVERY rule!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MileHighGuy
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:43 pm

Do you suggest able persons use handicapped parking spaces too?

Furthermore, the "magic word" would diminish the need for those who actually require them for assistance.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
yes, of course. My my chi-wowie helps me find taco bells
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
yes, of course. My my chi-wowie helps me find taco bells
That would be a support animal, which requires more documentation and notice then a service animal.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
http://i.imgur.com/N9fW9.jpg
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Hire a dog sitter or put your pet in a kennel. If I had to put up with your yapping kick-toy dog for 11 hours I would write a very nasty letter to CO and probably despise you.
Hey Michael Vick, chill out bro.

This little guy doesnt bark otherwise i wouldnt even be entertaining the idea.

In addition, just on a personal level, the previous owner chose to treat this adorable well-behaved little guy as a "kick-toy" dog, which is why he broke his rear leg in several places as a puppy. Then they inserted pins in his legs, where he had to be stabilized for several weeks in a pet shelter before being put up for adoption, where I was blessed to find him

Normally I wouldnt even dignify your ignorant comment with a response, but in this case, I feel it was warranted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.