Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary International Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Complimentary International Upgrade?

I'm flying out to HKG on friday nonstop from EWR. There are currently 11 empty seats in BusinessFirst. Being elite gold status, do I have any shot at a complimentary upgrade?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by lazard
I'm flying out to HKG on friday nonstop from EWR. There are currently 11 empty seats in BusinessFirst. Being elite gold status, do I have any shot at a complimentary upgrade?
NO.
BusinessFirst markets are not eligible for complimentary upgrades.
You can apply for an upgrade using miles plus Copay $ / CO SWU.

BTW, Welcome to FT!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

well that's certainly disappointing. Thank you for the info.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by snod08
NO.
BusinessFirst markets are not eligible for complimentary upgrades.
You can apply for an upgrade using miles plus Copay $ / CO SWU.

BTW, Welcome to FT!
How would a Gold elite have an SWU?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How would a Gold elite have an SWU?
a friend can Gift it to them , for that matter a non-Elite can get 1 as well or CC if they have been around long enough
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lazard
No, other than in IRROPS situations and then only if they can't find a Y alternative. The fare for the seat on your Friday flight if purchased is $5,502 in F and as low as $942 in Y (presuming purchase today at virtual walk-up time). Even a flexible fare is as low $1,010. Although some F pax may well be wealthy one-time flyers, the bulk will be business travellers who, if they fly East Coast - Asia, are definitionally high-level elites. Who would pay 5 times the coach fare for an F seat if they could get it for free.

At the last minute, CO could quite easily sell these seats for an SWU + roughly $1,000.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
No, other than in IRROPS situations and then only if they can't find a Y alternative. The fare for the seat on your Friday flight if purchased is $5,502 in F and as low as $942 in Y (presuming purchase today at virtual walk-up time). Even a flexible fare is as low $1,010. Although some F pax may well be wealthy one-time flyers, the bulk will be business travellers who, if they fly East Coast - Asia, are definitionally high-level elites. Who would pay 5 times the coach fare for an F seat if they could get it for free.

At the last minute, CO could quite easily sell these seats for an SWU + roughly $1,000.
Plus why oh why do I feel the OP knows there are 11 empty BF seats due to counting the # of Available seats on the seat map, so most likely there are less then 11 as not everyone picks a seat before they get to the Airport,

Plus even if there are 11 seats most likely there are 25 people already on the waitlist to Upgarde using whatever they can to do so
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
a friend can Gift it to them , for that matter a non-Elite can get 1 as well or CC if they have been around long enough
CC?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
CC?
Coupon Connection.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAHRyan
Coupon Connection.
Ah, of course. My bad
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by craz
Plus why oh why do I feel the OP knows there are 11 empty BF seats due to counting the # of Available seats on the seat map, so most likely there are less then 11 as not everyone picks a seat before they get to the Airport,

Plus even if there are 11 seats most likely there are 25 people already on the waitlist to Upgarde using whatever they can to do so
It's a fundamental misunderstanding of why carriers offer UG, particularly on intl. routes. Business (however it is named on the particular carrier) is the most profitable fare basis on a intl. flight. The fare differentials tell the story. F fare is roughly 5 times price of Y seat (as per example for this flight), but seat takes up roughly 2 times square footage of Y seat (looking at pitch and width). That's an extra $3K in the carrier's pocket per premium paid pax on EWR-HKG and all they have to do is provide better food & booze. Note that this is also a route on which the Federal government as well as many large businesses will pay for premium travel.

Over the next 6-18 months with capacity cuts (DL already announced for TATL within past week), there will be fewer UG in the first place both because fewer seats and more demand for premium cabin paid. Therefore, DL, like everybody else, will try to sell premium at premium fare and then sell UG for something real. But, argument that they might as well fill in F at the gate because it makes some pax happy, fails. The pax most likely to be at the top of the waitlist for that seat is also likely to be one who can and does pay for the seat. Why would he pay $5K for a seat which he can get for $1K in Y and another $1K for an UG?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
It's a fundamental misunderstanding of why carriers offer UG, particularly on intl. routes. Business (however it is named on the particular carrier) is the most profitable fare basis on a intl. flight. The fare differentials tell the story. F fare is roughly 5 times price of Y seat (as per example for this flight), but seat takes up roughly 2 times square footage of Y seat (looking at pitch and width). That's an extra $3K in the carrier's pocket per premium paid pax on EWR-HKG and all they have to do is provide better food & booze. Note that this is also a route on which the Federal government as well as many large businesses will pay for premium travel.

Over the next 6-18 months with capacity cuts (DL already announced for TATL within past week), there will be fewer UG in the first place both because fewer seats and more demand for premium cabin paid. Therefore, DL, like everybody else, will try to sell premium at premium fare and then sell UG for something real. But, argument that they might as well fill in F at the gate because it makes some pax happy, fails. The pax most likely to be at the top of the waitlist for that seat is also likely to be one who can and does pay for the seat. Why would he pay $5K for a seat which he can get for $1K in Y and another $1K for an UG?
I don't remember which airline it was, but they had a form of elite upgrades on international routes. It only applied to the highest level of elites (lots of miles + lots of money spent), and happened at 3 hours out. Pax on full fare Y tickets got space available upgrades to Biz, and full fare J tix got ug'ed to F.

But I think it was a limited promotion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.