Wiki Posts
Search

Well, THAT didn't go as planned...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Halo117
No what everyone is saying is that the FC cabin is created equal and CO lets people know how meals are taken, AA does FEBO and UA does by F, Status, and fare class.

With all the complaining about how CO policies are complex this is where UA fails. Does a person who uses miles to upgrade deserve a higher priority than a 1K.... sure they do as they paid more for that particular flight to ugrade than the 1K who used UDU.

I HOPE that COs policy makes it going forward. I know that if I sit near the front I can get my meal choice.

If we go with UAs method then I expect it to be applied in the Y cabin so I can get first dibbs on BOB items when upgrades don't clear. Its the same argument most UA folks are making with regards to FC, but could also apply to the Y cabin.

RAH RAH....WAH WAH!!!!

To the OP if indeed the FA did take your meal choice then maybe one our resident FAs can tell us on average how many salads are loaded. This would be a good indication if your meal was taken for furture reference. Honestly this is of in consequence with regards to UA/CO as on AA sometimes pilots are given first choice over PAX(now that is just wrong).
Does a 1P upgrading with miles not have priority over 1K upgraded with UDU?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Why am I not surprised that this letter came from a 1K...
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by qoodoo
This try at trolling was almost as bad as LBJ's game 5 performance.
fify!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Why am I not surprised that this letter came from a 1K...
To all the 1K's out there who may be confused by the reception the OP is getting...

Maybe I've just missed it, but generally you don't see legacy CO posters starting out their posts or correspondence with "As a (insert your status) flyer, I ..." unless the benefit you're complaining that you're not getting is unique to that status. I've always felt that status is what gets you into the FC seat (or not), but once you're in the seat you're the same as everyone else in FC.

I'm more interested in having the FA's focus on getting the Y passengers seated so we can leave on time, than I am concerned with them constantly checking their manafest to figure out in what order to serve the preflight drinks.

And as for issues related to quantity of meals/salads/etc in FC, if you have a dietary issue, why not quietly tell an FA before the flight departs and specifically request the vegetarian option, for example? Most FAs would do their best to help you there.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
If the FA indeed told pax no salad was available only to eat it herself, then that is non-sense. That said, I don't agree that food should be served by status/fareclass. That is really unnecessarily complicated.

Why not do FEBO like AA and add a functionality to the website that allows for requesting kosher/halal/vegetarian meals for a particular flight if confirmed in FF? Wouldn't that be much easier?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
If the FA indeed told pax no salad was available only to eat it herself, then that is non-sense. That said, I don't agree that food should be served by status/fareclass. That is really unnecessarily complicated.

Why not do FEBO like AA and add a functionality to the website that allows for requesting kosher/halal/vegetarian meals for a particular flight if confirmed in FF? Wouldn't that be much easier?
maybe the FA is a vegetarian herself, and she needs to eat due to whatever regulation?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Critic
I'll go so far as to summarize further:

"Waaaaah! I'm a 1K and didn't get my way! I'm going to make sure EVERYONE in Chicago knows I didn't get my salad! Waaaaaah!"
Originally Posted by pigx5
I will go this way:

"Waaaaah! I am the most professional man/woman in this industry!! I am going
to make sure EVERYONE in Houston knows I have the higher priority of meal choice than paid passengers!! Waaaaaah!"
Oy, it's going to be a long summer...

...I don't agree that food should be served by status/fareclass. That is really unnecessarily complicated.
Without going seriously OT here (), it's not complicated at all, and most UA FAs have no problem implementing it seamlessly. I understand it would be a change for PMCO FAs to do things this way, and I can even appreciate that it may seem complicated, but really it isn't. One certainly may feel that means should not be done this way, but that's a separate issue from whether it's "too complicated." It's just not.

It may in some sense be "easier," but the reason not to do FEBO is that many elites book at the last minute and/or clear upgrades within the 24 hour window. So basically it means some of the highest-paying and/or highest status pax get their last choice of F seats and/or are too late to make special meal requests. Moreover, why should my location in the cabin in any way affect whether I get my first choice of meal? It makes no logical sense unless one contends that relieving FAs of 60 seconds of work per flight to prioritize meal requests is worth possibly antagonizing top-paying customers.

I personally do not pay full fare for F, but if I did, and was told that I couldn't have the meal I wanted because I was sitting in the wrong place in the cabin, frankly I would be p-od.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:48 am

Just to put a serious wrinkle into the conspiracy of the stolen salad, the crew meal given to us during lunch flights just happens to be a chef SALAD! It is comprised of 100% iceberg lettuce of questionable freshness with a few slabs of cold cuts/cheese applied to the top. Throw in a glob of casear dressing and you got yourself a yummy lunch. I'm sure Jeff will get to the bottom of this.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cv11nyc
Just to put a serious wrinkle into the conspiracy of the stolen salad, the crew meal given to us during lunch flights just happens to be a chef SALAD! It is comprised of 100% iceberg lettuce of questionable freshness with a few slabs of cold cuts/cheese applied to the top. Throw in a glob of casear dressing and you got yourself a yummy lunch. I'm sure Jeff will get to the bottom of this.
Maybe Jeff was seated back in Y and he got the salad......
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mdm515
June 9th, 2011

Mr. Jeffrey A. Smisek

President and CEO

United Continental Holdings, Inc,

As a 1K flyer....
Hopefully the secretary threw it in the trash right there and never wasted time reason the rest.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I can understand a GS who paid full fare for F wanting to ensure he has his meal choice before a 2P was was UDUed at the gate gets his choice. But that's not the current policy on CO. So perhaps write a letter to Mileage Plus or whoever saying you want that policy to remain in place of CO's. But don't complain about a non-existent policy that wasn't implemented @:-)

If only they still even had special meals in F!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: US silver, DL exGM, UA ex1K (now GM), B6, WN, AA
When you end up in Y, would you pay for an F meal?

Seditious question for the complainers...
It obviously makes no sense to load enough meals for everyone to get their first choice most of the time if the leftover meals have to be discarded at the end of the flight...what if they were available for sale in Y at a premium cost (e.g. higher than the Buy-on-Board standard entries)? Would you actually buy the leftover F meals?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton HH
I think CO needs to install a little pull ticket device right before entering the aircraft. Then, when it's time to serve meals, you just look up at the "Now Serving Number XXX" monitor which has been installed at each seat, ring your attendant button, and order your meal. First come, first served.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:12 am

Personally, I'd take the salad over just about everything they offer at lunch, especially the hamburgers which I wouldn't touch but that's just me. And those of that get upgraded from time to time know the routine, if you want better selection try to get a seat father up! How is this any different than complaining about the way they board the plane? They sure won't please everyone!

When I left out of LAX last trip and new I was in coach I stopped at a Whole Foods Market just south on the PCH and got a great salad!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Could it be that the crew meal on that flight was the same as the passengers get? I've seen that on United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.