Does CO have a "lowest price guarantee"?

Old Jun 7, 11, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Angry Does CO have a "lowest price guarantee"?

Booked a flight for $1938.XX, and then found same flight on airfare.com for $1849.XX.
Called Elite Desk which transferred me to web support (??), spent ~30 minutes with them on the line, was told they don't match because it's a fare CO doesn't sell (?????).
Asked to talk to supervisor, more waiting, they hung-up

What's the best way (except canceling within the 24 hour grace period) to get this resolved?

Thanks,
Old Jun 7, 11, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...nline/lfg.aspx

1. Your claim must be made by midnight local time in the country of this country-specific Web site of the same day on which the ticket is purchased or within 4 hours if the ticket is purchased after 8 p.m. local time. Claims must be made by contacting your local Continental reservations office. Claims for this offer may not be made through any other Continental Airlines phone number.
2. Tickets purchased must be point-of-sale of the qualifying billing address and purchased at continental.com only.
3. This offer applies only to tickets purchased with cash or a credit card with a qualifying billing address. A qualifying billing address is either a U.S. billing address or a billing address located in the country of this country-specific Web site.
4. Applies only on itineraries wholly operated and marketed by Continental Airlines, Continental Express* or Continental Connection.
5. This offer applies only to itineraries originating in the U.S., Mexico, Central and South America or the Caribbean. This offer does not apply to itineraries originating in Mexico, Central or South America or the Caribbean that include on the itinerary the following destinations: Japan, China, Hong Kong and destinations operated by Continental Micronesia.
6. Tickets must be the least expensive available on continental.com for the chosen itinerary at the time of purchase. "Lower online fare" means only published retail fares available on the Internet for the exact same flights on the same travel dates for the same travel itinerary. Corporate, military, wholesaler, consolidator, opaque agencies and other discount fares are not eligible. Fares must be for the same cabin (First/Business class, BusinessFirst or Economy), and for the exact same flights that carry the same fare restrictions.
7. Continental Airlines must be able to verify the lower online fare online at the time of claim. Other methods of verification (e.g., fax, screen prints) are not eligible.
8. This offer does not apply to base fare differences of less than USD $10.00. Differences of USD $10.00 or more will be refunded to the credit card used for the purchase. There is no limit to the amount of the refund. An Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC) in the amount of USD $100.00 will be issued for each ticket eligible under this program. If required by the local law of the country of this country-specific Web site, a certificate in local currency equal to USD $100 will be granted, if reasonably practicable. The ETC is valid toward the future purchase of any Continental ticket, will only be issued in the name of the ticket holder, is non-transferable and is not combinable with any other Travel Certificate or promotion. The ETC will be valid for one (1) year from the date of issue. ETC is not valid for codeshare flights.
9. The ETC and the difference in fare are the sole and exclusive compensation that will be provided for Continental's failure to fulfill its provisions of this offer.
10. Continental Airlines reserves the right to terminate this offer at any time without notice.
Old Jun 7, 11, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, trying their phone service again

It's freakin' annoying!
Old Jun 7, 11, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down And then the exclusions start kicking in...

Turns out airfare.com (amongst others) is not included.
Since I have a travel cert for some $400, no "price match" for me
Old Jun 7, 11, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ranshe View Post
Turns out airfare.com (amongst others) is not included.
Since I have a travel cert for some $400, no "price match" for me
Because airfare.com is a consolidator and will a lot of times, have no problem beating the airline prices.
Old Jun 7, 11, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Is there a list somewhere?

Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
Because airfare.com is a consolidator and will a lot of times, have no problem beating the airline prices.
Of all (or most, or some) sites which are in/out of the price matching list?
Also, why is it so difficult (i.e. >1 hour on the phone) to explain?
You did it in one sentence, why does CO reps have to be so mysterious about it?

Of course the anger is not towards you but towards CO wasting my time.
Old Jun 7, 11, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ranshe View Post
Of all (or most, or some) sites which are in/out of the price matching list?
Also, why is it so difficult (i.e. >1 hour on the phone) to explain?
You did it in one sentence, why does CO reps have to be so mysterious about it?

Of course the anger is not towards you but towards CO wasting my time.
Except in extremely rare situations, I don't think you'll find a fare lower than the website that they will match (which is the reason they're comfortable offering the guarantee in the first place). I wouldn't bother looking for such a scenario.
Old Jun 8, 11, 8:09 am

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, AA Plat (status matched)
When the itn is a mix of CO and UA flights, I found Continental.com is often more expensive than Orbitz or Expedia. I booked a ticket on CO.com with CO and UA flights only to find it cheaper on Expedia a few hours later. I called the Elite line to get a price match. First agent told me they don't match prices. Second agent told me I needed to talk to web support and transfered me. After 30 minutes on hold, I hung up and cancelled my ticket and bought on Expedia instead.

With Orbitz offering price guarantees and continental's lack of customer service, I see no reasons to book any flights on CO.com. Especially since you can manage your reservation on CO.com even if they're booked else where.

Originally Posted by CJ1120 View Post
Except in extremely rare situations, I don't think you'll find a fare lower than the website that they will match (which is the reason they're comfortable offering the guarantee in the first place). I wouldn't bother looking for such a scenario.
Old Jun 8, 11, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by sweetkiddddo View Post
With Orbitz offering price guarantees and continental's lack of customer service, I see no reasons to book any flights on CO.com. Especially since you can manage your reservation on CO.com even if they're booked else where.
... but doesn't Orbitz charge you a change fee, on top of CO's change fee, if you ever need to change a ticket?
Old Jun 8, 11, 1:24 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, AA Plat (status matched)
Originally Posted by yellow77 View Post
... but doesn't Orbitz charge you a change fee, on top of CO's change fee, if you ever need to change a ticket?
if you ever need to change the ticket, contact Continental directly. No need to deal with Orbitz. No fees beyond what Continental normally sticks you with.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: