Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

DirecTV $7.99!? -- how many of you are buying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DirecTV $7.99!? -- how many of you are buying?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Originally Posted by shanshan
On Transcon out of EWR.. and noticed DirecTV is now a whopping $7.99 to use (before the discount for using the branded CC). $8 seems egregious to me. My own perception is $3.99 is "CO is just being a cheap" (vs. offering it to passengers for free), $5.99 is "let's squeeze you since we have you", and $7.99 is "what is the maximum pain tolerance for our customers without having them laugh out-loud-loud on the plane".
Totally agree here. I bought it a few times at 5.99 to watch sporting events that I cared about. I won't buy it at 7.99 for any reason. There's always an announcement at a critical juncture of games. It get's pretty annoying, especially if I was paying for it.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
I paid $5.99 once but for a 6 hour transcon, it was worth it. I still think it should be free for elites and those sitting in premium seats (exits and bulkheads).

At least they have the decency not to require payment until after takeoff; if you're stuck on the tarmac, you get free entertainment.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
I barely watch any TV at home (I dont have cable...just an antenna in case I want to see the weather report or something).
So, no reason for me to buy DTV for any price.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: Continental Onepass Silver
I buy it every time . . .

Put me in the "Indifferent" camp. If I get an hour of entertainment out of it, well, it's a much better deal than the drink I'll guzzle for $7!

I just plain accept that airports/airlines/airplanes are crazy priced venues, and whatever you may desire costs about 300% of what it would in the normal world. Like living in a convenience store for a couple hours!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Used to buy every time

At the old price I would buy almost every flight. I just can't stomach paying $6 (using my Chase card) unless there is something I really want to watch. Otherwise I'll watch a movie on my laptop or read.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K; Avis Preferred; PriorityClub Gold; nada anywhere else
Never buy it and much prefer AVOD. When it's going to be TV I make sure I have something to read.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:18 am

I purchased DTV on almost every flight for the past 6 months (probably 15-20). I have a bunch coming up in the next couple of months and have already loaded movies on my iTouch. Not paying $6 (with card) for TV that cuts out most of the time.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold
At least it worked on your flight. On my last four hour flight, Direct TV did not work and I was willing to pay. The channel could not be changed and it had ESPN 2 on, a very interesting poker marathon on for four hours...

I noticed that Direct TV did not work in about 20-30% of seats, noone was charged. I guess I just got lucky with my seat, and I was on 21C exit row on a 738...

Now, to your question... will I pay $7.99 per flight? probably not
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Bought it twice last month EWR - SAN doing the $20 trips when I didn't get upgraded.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I normally buy it with the PP credit card if the flight is of any serious length (e.g., 2.5 hours), but that was at the lower price.

I probably would still buy it, but be a little more pissed about it.

However, aren't we getting it free in ELR seats? I think I got it free the last few times, or am I just making that up?

I'm either upgraded or in the exit row on 99% of my flights.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
However, aren't we getting it free in ELR seats? I think I got it free the last few times, or am I just making that up?
21D did not give it to me free last month.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
usually when i fly, i'm super hungover from partying the night before and i typically just pass out when i'm sitting in Y. immediately. it's generally a "and our estimated flight time i- ......would like to welcome you to newark liberty airport..." situation. when i'm not completely KO'd though and i'm stuck in Y, i do pay the 8 bucks. is it annoying? kinda, yeah. but i want to watch tv. so... i pay it.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I think this price escalation is just the tip of the iceberg and that we should all be prepared to pay more for just about everything (that is, if one is unlucky enough not to be upgraded). Ala carte pricing is here to stay, folks.

For example, Tilton made a comment awhile back concerning UA's baggage fees. I believe he stated there was quite a bit more money to be made by the airline via these baggage and other ancillary fees.

Question is: how much more in the way of additional fees are we all willing to put up with?

And as for DirecTV, I'll stick with my CD player & Bose NC headphones.....
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:09 pm

Me and the Mrs never bother, we hardly watch TV at home either. What amazes me is the folks who pony up for a flight from IAH to MSY, a flight of less then an hour!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: BMI Silver
Originally Posted by GTITAN
If traveling with my 10-year old and in "Y" I buy it for her. If traveling by myself in "Y", I don't.

Safe Travels
When I am on Continental I am always with flying BFS-EWR-SAN and back with my now 3 year old I will always get it for her. We get the international part free. I also stock my ipod with films for both of us just in case it doesn't work. Anything new to entertain for that long trip works for me. I also pay to get my fix of American tv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.