FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Canadair CRJ-200 vs. Embraer ERJ-145: IAH-DAL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1218075-canadair-crj-200-vs-embraer-erj-145-iah-dal.html)

TWA Fan 1 May 22, 2011 6:23 pm

While there is no question that the CRJ-200 is a pretty awful experience, I do prefer the UaEx CRJ-700's and 900's to the E145.

The larger CRJ's both have FC and E+ in their UaEx configuration. Also, they are wider than the Brazilian pencil and less claustrophobic for the longer hauls one does on these sardine cans.

It is true that the CRJ's suffer from the overly round fuselage, which means that the side of the fuselage makes window seats somewhat uncomfortable. The other problem is how low the windows are for anyone who is taller than about 5'3".

On the whole, I would much rather ride in a CRJ-700/900 with FC and E+ than on an E145 on one of those long 3 hour + flights these planes do sometimes.

sbm12 May 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 16430110)
in the option between an ERJ or a CRJ, always take the CRJ.

Not if it is a CR2. The CR7 and CR9 are decent enough planes (though the comparable Embraer aircraft are even better) but the ERJ-135/140/145 is more comfortable than the CR2 in most cases.

TWA Fan 1 May 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16431456)
Not if it is a CR2. The CR7 and CR9 are decent enough planes (though the comparable Embraer aircraft are even better) but the ERJ-135/140/145 is more comfortable than the CR2 in most cases.

All agreed.

As sbm12 writes, the large Embraers, the 170-195 family, are not only the best a/c in this category, but may be the most comfortable planes in the medium-haul category.

jlemon May 23, 2011 7:35 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16431456)

Indeed, the latest Embraer models are a quantum leap forward. I even enjoyed my flight in Y on US on an E jet! And, of course, F on a UA Express E jet was even better...

It will be interesting to see what Embraer comes up with next. I believe Embraer is awaiting an announcement from Boeing concerning a replacement or upgrade for the B737 series before they move forward with regard to their possible new model.

vkng May 23, 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by SunLover (Post 16430581)
Looking at future schedules I came across a CRJ-200 flight from PDX to DEN :eek: 985 miles and 2:39 flight time :td: which would be a long time to spend on that metal.

SunLover

I'm on a CRJ-200 tomorrow morning ATL-IAH, blocked in at just over two hours :td:

ssullivan May 23, 2011 8:44 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 16430110)
in the option between an ERJ or a CRJ, always take the CRJ. Neither are ultra comfortable, but if you're gonna be in a sardeen can, might as well have it a nicer one.

The CR7s aren't too bad. Nice little F cabin, plus they have E+, so if your upgrade doesn't go thru at least you'll have a seat with legroom.

Really? You'd trade much larger windows, 1-2 seating, more head and shoulder room in the window seats, an exit row with three seats that have outstanding legroom, and air conditioning that doesn't cut off completely during takeoff and descent (often making the plane very uncomfortably warm in a matter of seconds) for a CR2? Yes, the CR7 in UA's fleet has E+ and a small F cabin, but we're talking 50 seat jets here. The CR2 is one of the most uncomfortable aircraft out there.

ssullivan May 23, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by vkng (Post 16433743)
I'm on a CRJ-200 tomorrow morning ATL-IAH, blocked in at just over two hours :td:

Yuck.

My longest CRJ segment was MSP-IAH a few years ago, out of desperation and no choice in the schedule but to take that flight. It was really, really awful on that length of flight. I've done the ERJ on that route many times, and it's not a bad ride at all in row 12.

WIRunner May 23, 2011 10:10 am

I cannot type. This seems to be a common theme for me the past few days, signaling that I am clearly in need of a vacation, preferably one that doesn't involve any CRJ-200s.

I did mean to say that the CRJ is the Devil's Charriot (TM) and should be avoided at all costs. One of the reasons that I switched from flying MKE-ORD to GRB-ORD is because there are only CR2s in MKE, whereas GRB gets 145s.

The CR7s aren't bad at all.

CO777DAL May 23, 2011 3:56 pm

I flew on the CRJ-200 from DAL-DEN on sat and man was that thing raggedy! Paint was peeling off the wings etc. It’s in battleship scheme. It was a big change from CO ERJs. I made plenty of videos and they will be up soon.

There is only 1 CRJ-200 between DAL-IAH each way. One does IAH-DAL-DEN and the other does DEN-DAL-IAH. Then the rest are ERJs and Q400. There is an ExpressJet ERJ that does DEN-DAL-IAH and another that does IAH-DAL-DEN. Another thing about these flight are the crew have to be CO one flight and UA the next. Gate agent at DAL was saying these are the most confusing to work. The flight to DEN was full!

I like the ERJ the best but I would take the ERJ or Q400. Q400 has always had full beverage service and uses terminal A in IAH which is so much better than the zoo they call Terminal B.

A DFW bound ERJ diverted to DAL today and some people got off. Then the flight went to DFW after being furled. My IAH-DAL flight on an ERJ took almost 1.30h to get to DAL.

Something interesting news… I was told the number of CO/UA flights at DAL will be 26 by years end. DAL will have service to all CO/UA main hubs. They will operated using 3 gates. Use the two the have plus one of AAs.^

Legend717 May 23, 2011 4:22 pm

DAL

Originally Posted by CO777DAL (Post 16436728)
I flew on the CRJ-200 from DAL-DEN on sat and man was that thing raggedy! Paint was peeling off the wings etc. It’s in battleship scheme. It was a big change from CO ERJs. I made plenty of videos and they will be up soon.

There is only 1 CRJ-200 between DAL-IAH each way. One does IAH-DAL-DEN and the other does DEN-DAL-IAH. Then the rest are ERJs and Q400. There is an ExpressJet ERJ that does DEN-DAL-IAH and another that does IAH-DAL-DEN. Another thing about these flight are the crew have to be CO one flight and UA the next. Gate agent at DAL was saying these are the most confusing to work. The flight to DEN was full!

I like the ERJ the best but I would take the ERJ or Q400. Q400 has always had full beverage service and uses terminal A in IAH which is so much better than the zoo they call Terminal B.

A DFW bound ERJ diverted to DAL today and some people got off. Then the flight went to DFW after being furled. My IAH-DAL flight on an ERJ took almost 1.30h to get to DAL.

Something interesting news… I was told the number of CO/UA flights at DAL will be 26 by years end. DAL will have service to all CO/UA main hubs. They will operated using 3 gates. Use the two the have plus one of AAs.^

The last time I flew out of DAL, I was on Skywest dba UAex, but the ticket counter woman wouldn't let me check in at the "United" counter- she made me go to the Continental-branded counter. No big deal, there wasn't a line at either, and as you well know, the counters are about three feet apart. But WEIRD.

The CR2 I flew on was similarly in need of paint, as you mention.

I HIGHLY DOUBT that DAL will see 26 flights a day, and to every hub. If they could have made it work, they'd already have done it. I fully expect DEN to be a flop, in the long run. Unless they're just duping people who don't know the difference when they book their ticket online, especially when you consider that when searching DFW flights, the CO search engine returns both DFW and DAL results.... I bet a bunch of people get suckered that way.

CO777DAL May 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 16436845)
The last time I flew out of DAL, I was on Skywest dba UAex, but the ticket counter woman wouldn't let me check in at the "United" counter- she made me go to the Continental-branded counter. No big deal, there wasn't a line at either, and as you well know, the counters are about three feet apart. But WEIRD.

The CR2 I flew on was similarly in need of paint, as you mention.

I HIGHLY DOUBT that DAL will see 26 flights a day, and to every hub. If they could have made it work, they'd already have done it. I fully expect DEN to be a flop, in the long run. Unless they're just duping people who don't know the difference when they book their ticket online, especially when you consider that when searching DFW flights, the CO search engine returns both DFW and DAL results.... I bet a bunch of people get suckered that way.

I questioned the 26 flights too. Asked several times. They were sure about it. CO/UA just merged so its going to talk time to work out fleet planning and schedule.The DEN flights are doing well. They are adding a third flight this September. The loads have been good. I listened when they named off hubs and noticed CLE was not mentioned. I think they are going to add them one at a time. DEN is doing better than they thought hence they are adding a flight. Combined CO/UA should have the traffic to make these routes work. I think when people see how much easier DAL is than DFW it will catch on more. Plus I notice the kettle show up at the airport you give them. DAL/DFW they will show up. All they they notice is that it's a small plane or big plane and if is has propplers or not. Thou I have heard many people call the ERJ/CRJ a big plane. :eek: Last full 50 seat flight to DEN, I did not hear anyone complaining. Thou 26 flights might make it not as convenient as before. Notice today a flight to Houston when out without a single Elite on it.

CO777DAL May 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 16436845)

Oh and I forgot. At DAL. FYI to anyone. There is NO UNITED AUTO check-in. The agent have to check you in manually. Found that out on Sat. So if anyone is flying United out of DAL print your boarding passes from home or your going to have to use an agent as self check-in at DAL only work for CO. So that United sign doesn't mean much as it all CO at DAL computer wise. Even notice all the computers screens at the gate and flight status say Continental flight to Denver.

In your case she should have let you use the United check-in since it really was a CO check in machine. I think you ran into the one lady there that a little slow.

brenobarini Jan 29, 2013 3:56 am

Hi guys.. Sorry to revive this topic.. But I need some informations, or some declarations from people who flew those airplanes, if it's possible.

I'm a student, and I'm doing a research on ~50 seats regional jets comfort, comparing some points like seats (dimensions, reclination), aisle (dimensions), noise, temperature, window size and position, in flight entertainment, ilumination, etc.

I need to know what do you think about these points between ERJ-145 x CRJ-200 x Q300 x ATR-42... I only flew one of them, but a long time ago... Don't need to be exactly numbers, just yhow you feel inside them, and what could be better, for you.

I didn't find a better place to ask this.

Hope you can help me.. I'd be very very grateful.

Sorry for my english..

And thank you very much.

Breno

gusd Jan 29, 2013 7:38 am

Originally Posted by brenobarini (Post 20144463)
Hi guys.. Sorry to revive this topic.. But I need some informations, or some declarations from people who flew those airplanes, if it's possible.

I'm a student, and I'm doing a research on ~50 seats regional jets comfort, comparing some points like seats (dimensions, reclination), aisle (dimensions), noise, temperature, window size and position, in flight entertainment, ilumination, etc.

I need to know what do you think about these points between ERJ-145 x CRJ-200 x Q300 x ATR-42... I only flew one of them, but a long time ago... Don't need to be exactly numbers, just yhow you feel inside them, and what could be better, for you.

I didn't find a better place to ask this.

Hope you can help me.. I'd be very very grateful.

Sorry for my english..

And thank you very much.

Breno

I definitely prefer the A seats on the ERJ vs the CRJ or ATR. I haven't flown the Q300. The seat in the ERJ is much more comfortable than the other two, well, even more comfortable that the seat in the 737s, which are so hard. Since there is nobody to share the armrests with, the A seat in the ERJ doesn't feel as cramped as on the CRJ or ATR. I think the windows are better, as well.

For seat dimensions and such, you can find that for all planes by clicking on the links on this page on united.com:

brenobarini Jan 29, 2013 8:30 am

Originally Posted by gusd (Post 20145336)
I definitely prefer the A seats on the ERJ vs the CRJ or ATR. I haven't flown the Q300. The seat in the ERJ is much more comfortable than the other two, well, even more comfortable that the seat in the 737s, which are so hard. Since there is nobody to share the armrests with, the A seat in the ERJ doesn't feel as cramped as on the CRJ or ATR. I think the windows are better, as well.

For sear dimensions and such, you can find that for all planes by clicking on the links on this page on united.com:

Thank you for your opinion.. I'll take a look..