Wiki Posts
Search

Fares increase towards the weekend?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Fares increase towards the weekend?

Hi,

this has probably been discussed here before but unfortunately I couldn't locate the appropriate thread with the forum search.

I have been tracing fares on WAS-ANC in the past weeks and even a few hours ago the flights I was planing to book were still available for ~ 271 $ oneway each, including taxes. When I checked again a few minutes ago the price had increased to 311 $, the booking class however is still T. What surprises me most is that the fare also increased for the reverse routing (ANC-WAS) and on all dates.

Is it true that flights become more expensive towards the weekend? As I have to use vouchers I am limited to CO flights.

Stefan
Old May 12, 2011, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Generally speaking lower fare buckets will see inventory reduced or zeroed out on the weekends. The inventory usually returns on Tuesday mid-day.

Additionally the weekends are often when airlines try to push fare increases through. One will increase some fares and then some will follow and others might not. Depending on whether enough follow or not they'll keep the higher fares or roll them back.

It is worth noting that there are three T fares published for WAS-ANC so the other factors, like fare rules and such, will come in to play to determine the pricing:
Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
Code:
Flexible Fare Search -- WAS-ANC oneway for date range May-Nov on carrier CO -- Continental Airlines
Carrier|From |To   |FareBasis |Fare      |Min   |Max       |Adv. Purch|Earliest  |Latest    |
CO     |WAS  |ANC  |TA14FN    |USD$ 282  |      |          |14days    |          |          |
CO     |WAS  |ANC  |TA3FN     |USD$ 283  |      |          |3days     |          |          |
CO     |WAS  |ANC  |TA14FN    |USD$ 301  |      |          |14days    |13may11   |10sep11   |