Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Political "statements" by CO FA's

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 11:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Political "statements" by CO FA's

Over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of buttons and lanyards that appear to be of a political nature on the person and luggage of some CO flight attendants. The messages are Union related and very prominent - I'm sure others have seen them too.

My thought is that it is inappropriate to display one's political viewpoints in the workplace, and definitely in front of customers. However, the wearing of such buttons and lanyards is approved by CO management, according to a rather irate FA I approached with my complaint while he was serving me a cup of coffee earlier this week. I told him that if I wore a lanyard like his with a political message in front of my clients, I'd be thrown out. He stated that "this was a free country and began to lecture me on american democracy and freedom of speech before pulling back and stating that his management approve the wearing of the lanyards. Just to stir the pot I asked him if it was OK to display my" Osama Bin Laden is a Hero" screensaver. Unfortunately, he didn't take the bait but it was still a very eye opening conversation in that he saw nothing wrong with subjecting customers to his political viewpoints.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Unfortunately, he didn't take the bait but it was still a very eye opening conversation in that he saw nothing wrong with subjecting customers to his political viewpoints.

Unfortunately that comes from the top at CO -- an airline that allows uniformed military to board first.

If the company thinks it's appropriate to make statements like that via their policy, then it would logically follow that the rank-and-file employees think it's okay to wear a politically charged lanyard as well.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott Rewards Gold
Seriously? Can we please be adult about this?

People disagree about things. Sometimes vehemently. It has been true from the beginning of time. People have also agreed to disagree and get on with their lives. Reasoned debate has it's place, but it isn't in the passenger cabin of an airliner.

Freedom of expression means that I can express myself, so long as its done reasonably. The FAs weren't harassing anyone. When asked about the buttons, they replied politely and refused to be baited into an argument. This kind of professionalism is commendable.

Churchill said, "A fanatic can't change his mind and won't change the subject". A wise man indeed. Why don't you leave well enough alone and enjoy your flight?
Old May 7, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I am sorry but the US employees do it and yes, believe it or not, the UA people have done it. Quite antagonizing the CO people with your bologna.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joemcool

People disagree about things. Sometimes vehemently. It has been true from the beginning of time. People have also agreed to disagree and get on with their lives.

Freedom of expression means that I can express myself, so long as its done reasonably. The FAs weren't harassing anyone. When asked about the buttons, they replied politely and refused to be baited into an argument. This kind of professionalism is commendable.

Churchill said, "A fanatic can't change his mind and won't change the subject". A wise man indeed. Why don't you leave well enough alone and enjoy your flight?
The thing is that it is not "well enough" if one is in a customer facing role. Most companies would not allow such a spectacle. As for your perception that the FA I engaged was professional - he wasn't - he just didn't have a good answer to my question so decided to flee like a coward, not a professional.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold

People disagree about things. Sometimes vehemently. It has been true from the beginning of time. People have also agreed to disagree and get on with their lives. Reasoned debate has it's place, but it isn't in the passenger cabin of an airliner.

+1 ^ Very well stated!

Unlike most of us these days, the FA's are still unionized and have certain labor rights. I, for one, am glad to see them stand up for FAIR treatment. Too many of us act like sheeple...
Old May 7, 2011, 12:34 pm

Why don't you leave well enough alone and enjoy your flight?
Because he/she is a United Elite and is just looking for a way to get some sort of compensation.....
Old May 7, 2011, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFreak
Because he/she is a United Elite and is just looking for a way to get some sort of compensation.....
LOL -

Just to clarify, my only problem is with a company I am doing business with allowing it's staff to air their laundry and their political views in public. Wearing political lanyards and publicizing positions on union ballots, making a huge deal of allowing military to board first, etc - these are all unnecessary political acts and have no place in front of the customer.

You are correct (from an earlier post) that UA and US FA's have similarly made political statements while on the job, and indeed I see a lot of union stickers, american flags and worse on pilots rolling luggage. Why did I pick out CO for this thread? because this phenomenon is something I've seen on virtually every CO flight in the last two weeks, and I don't honestly recall seeing any US or UA crew members wearing such things lately.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:49 pm

LOL -

Just to clarify, my only problem is with a company I am doing business with allowing it's staff to air their laundry and their political views in public. Wearing political lanyards and publicizing positions on union ballots, making a huge deal of allowing military to board first, etc - these are all unnecessary political acts and have no place in front of the customer.

You are correct (from an earlier post) that UA and US FA's have similarly made political statements while on the job, and indeed I see a lot of union stickers, american flags and worse on pilots rolling luggage. Why did I pick out CO for this thread? because this phenomenon is something I've seen on virtually every CO flight in the last two weeks, and I don't honestly recall seeing any US or UA crew members wearing such things lately.

Of course UA crew wouldn't be mad....they are getting a HUGE pay raise.
Just wait another 2 weeks and you will see the US Crews doing the same thing.

You shouldn't single out CO just because they are the *only* ones doing this now. This is common amongst most airlines and they are free to do as they please. The tone of your thread is what I had a problem with. Given the slamming of Continental on this board since the merger closed, it can be seen as just another ridiculous UA Elite being obnoxious. So I ask, what is your motivation behind posting this?
Old May 7, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not really abstract "political speech" that is at issue.

UA/CO F/As are in the process of voting for a union to represent them as a combined group. Wearing union insignia in support of a union is protected by the National Labor Relations Act and Railway Labor Acts. It would be illegal under labor law for management to forbid or otherwise interfere with the wearing of union pins.

So you'll just have to deal with it.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
... making a huge deal of allowing military to board first, etc - these are all unnecessary political acts ...
Huh?

Maybe it's just a nice gesture on behalf of the company for people who are either beginning or ending a really horrible "trip" to the desert?

I don't see that as political at all.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Given the slamming of Continental on this board since the merger closed, it can be seen as just another ridiculous UA Elite being obnoxious. ...
And of the interesting outcomes of this merger has been level of emotions and passion by each airlines elites. There has been plenty of slamming going on. There has been a tendency (not referring to the OP or this thread topic) to denigrate the other airline or their elites / passengers. I just wish we could all get past this, be a little less protective of what was, drop the labeling and realize the merger is happening and like it or not (unless you plan to change carriers) we will become one family -- warts and all.
This forum was designed to allow the participants to understand and maximize their travelling experience- can we focus on that?

Originally Posted by Bear96
... Wearing union insignia in support of a union is protected by the National Labor Relations Act and Railway Labor Acts. It would be illegal under labor law for management to forbid or otherwise interfere with the wearing of union pins. ...
was just going to point that out -- those that have not worked in union environments may not realize what the law is.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2011 at 1:19 pm Reason: self merge
Old May 7, 2011, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Of course UA crew wouldn't be mad....they are getting a HUGE pay raise.
Just wait another 2 weeks and you will see the US Crews doing the same thing.

You shouldn't single out CO just because they are the *only* ones doing this now. This is common amongst most airlines and they are free to do as they please. The tone of your thread is what I had a problem with. Given the slamming of Continental on this board since the merger closed, it can be seen as just another ridiculous UA Elite being obnoxious. So I ask, what is your motivation behind posting this?
My motivation is quite clearly indicated in at least three posts on this thread - it may involve the ability to read and comprehend sequentially in order to ascertain what concerns me, so I'm sorry, I can only lead you to water on this one.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:16 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
These buttons are the equivalent of online trolling. . . You took the bait and started a conversation about it.

I say ignore it.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear96
It is not really abstract "political speech" that is at issue.

UA/CO F/As are in the process of voting for a union to represent them as a combined group. Wearing union insignia in support of a union is protected by the National Labor Relations Act and Railway Labor Acts. It would be illegal under labor law for management to forbid or otherwise interfere with the wearing of union pins.

So you'll just have to deal with it.
I see. I was unaware that wearing union insignia was protected. However, I am not talking about logos, small lapel pins, etc - I am talking about oversized buttons/badges with slogans in bold font, 3 inch thick lanyards worthy of holding an olympic medal bearing slogans and advice, etc, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.