FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   America's Meanest Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1204659-americas-meanest-airlines.html)

walkerci Apr 12, 2011 5:38 am

America's Meanest Airlines

FYI.

http://www.gadling.com/2011/04/10/am...=Google+Reader

UA-NYC Apr 12, 2011 8:28 am

About as relevant as the AF A380 being the "meanest" A/C for pushing around that poor lil' Comair flight at JFK last night

aacharya Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 16204238)
About as relevant as the AF A380 being the "meanest" A/C for pushing around that poor lil' Comair flight at JFK last night

I could not agree more. Such sensationalism shouldn't be rewarded by a click. For gosh sakes, they have a "least-safe" airline, even though it's safer to fly than to drive.

sbm12 Apr 12, 2011 10:29 am

While I do not doubt that the stats are accurate in terms of being properly calculated given the particular formula that the researchers have chosen to implement, I'd say that the report is mostly garbage. It inappropriately skews certain issues more than its intended goals and manages to ignore that the spread on DOT complaints - an average of .5-2/100,000 passengers on mainline flights - is simply too small a range to actually be useful as a barometer of anything. The metrics for baggage and IDB issues are similarly narrow.

When 17 "incidents" out of 219,000 flight operations can get you labeled as the "least safe" airline out there something is very wrong with the folks assigning blame.

gawhite411 Apr 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16205032)
While I do not doubt that the stats are accurate in terms of being properly calculated given the particular formula that the researchers have chosen to implement, I'd say that the report is mostly garbage. It inappropriately skews certain issues more than its intended goals and manages to ignore that the spread on DOT complaints - an average of .5-2/100,000 passengers on mainline flights - is simply too small a range to actually be useful as a barometer of anything. The metrics for baggage and IDB issues are similarly narrow.

When 17 "incidents" out of 219,000 flight operations can get you labeled as the "least safe" airline out there something is very wrong with the folks assigning blame.

Disagree. You might quible with this or that, but the fact is UA is the meanest airline and this survey confirmed it. So the survey must be doing something right.

jjgollum Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Actually, my rationale for the "Meanest Airline" ranking may be reflective that UA customers actually receive compensation when submitting complaints.

That is, because there is reward for complaining, it begets more complaints.

Us CO flyers obviously don't have that problem..

bob_the_d Apr 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 16204238)

the A380 is such a bully, pushing around the poor little CRJ into the sand... 747's are over there, go pick on someone your own size. i guess that's what happens when the new kid comes to school...

Bulldog83 Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by bob_the_d (Post 16205987)
the A380 is such a bully, pushing around the poor little CRJ into the sand... 747's are over there, go pick on someone your own size. i guess that's what happens when the new kid comes to school...

The sad part is now that CRJ700 is going to want to take its anger out on someone else -- I wouldn't want to be on a CRJ200/ERJ145 out of JFK any time soon...