Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Booking rules vs. What might be allowed online

Old Apr 11, 11, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I would like to understand what would realistically happen. I want to book my reward tickets online to save on fees. I know that the reward rules disallow round the world rewards.

I want to fly bos to Han via Munich and bkk. On the return flight I want to fly sgn back to Boston. The only options online require me to fly east over the pacific. I'd prefer to return the same way I came but the option just isn't there.

If I booked the outbound to Han via mun and the system let's me choose a return flying over the pacific, would I end up with a problem down the line? Would they cancel my flights?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 11, 1:08 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by molly2004 View Post
Hi, I would like to understand what would realistically happen. I want to book my reward tickets online to save on fees. I know that the reward rules disallow round the world rewards.

I want to fly bos to Han via Munich and bkk. On the return flight I want to fly sgn back to Boston. The only options online require me to fly east over the pacific. I'd prefer to return the same way I came but the option just isn't there.

If I booked the outbound to Han via mun and the system let's me choose a return flying over the pacific, would I end up with a problem down the line? Would they cancel my flights?

Thanks!
How are you seeing a flight eastbound over the Pacific? I just tried to do a trial award booking and all the return flights I see are back through Europe. Which dates are you using? Regardless, I'm pretty sure that if you go through their official system and it gives you that option they won't give you any problems with it, especially since you're not really doing an "around the world" itinerary (you're not stopping in a dozen places around the globe).
Old Apr 12, 11, 1:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, MM, Hyatt Globalist
I think it's very unlikely that you would have a problem with tickets you had purchased online because of any round-the-world rule. I've had several itineraries that I found online, purchased, and flew -- then later tried to buy the same route for a later trip and was told it wasn't allowed (circle trip rule). Never tried to book anything close to a round the world though.
Old Apr 12, 11, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!

o mikros, I plugged in dates for next February (3 thru 20 to be exact). I suppose they direct you over the Pacific from SGN because it's more direct? Anyway, I'll make do. As long as I won't have a problem later down the line.
Old Apr 12, 11, 2:41 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by molly2004 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

o mikros, I plugged in dates for next February (3 thru 20 to be exact). I suppose they direct you over the Pacific from SGN because it's more direct? Anyway, I'll make do. As long as I won't have a problem later down the line.
So I just tried to do a search on those dates, and once I select the outbound as BOS-MUC-BKK-HAN and then go to the return, the only options are back via Europe. If you do want to go back via Germany as you indicated in the original post (I see flights through both FRA and MUC open) then you should be able to.

Good luck, and safe travels!
Old Apr 12, 11, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Beginning on 6/15 you will be able to book one way reward tickets on Continental ^ so if you can wait that long to ticket just book the two legs separately at that time.

-OR-

@:-)@:-)@:-)you can transfer the miles over to UA right now, and book the trip as one way rewards right away...

SunLover
Old Apr 12, 11, 4:33 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
While searching for flights on the CO website I found a routing that went IAD-NRT-MNL//BKK-ARN-LHR-IAD.

I haven't flown the routing but I presume that it should be no problem since the website allows it to be booked.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: