Discontinued Programs/Partners

Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)

Maximize rtw award ticket with co miles

Old Apr 1, 11, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA

I am planning to book two RTW award tickets in F using CO miles. Folks with experience doing this are invited to share their tips on how to maximize the value on RTW tickets. Many thanks! ^
Old Apr 1, 11, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1. More segments in F than not.
  2. CO doesn't have an MPM limit for RTW awards.
  3. Buying your own airfare on some surface segments can get you better lines/dots/lounges/carriers.
  4. You're limited to only 6 stops and 16 flight coupons so don't go too crazy with connections in any one regions
  5. If you can get LH, LX and TG F departures from their home hubs (FRA, ZRH & BKK, respectively) you'll get some of the best lounge experiences on offer.

What do you want to see? Where do you want to go? Are you in it just for the flights or also the destinations?
Old Apr 1, 11, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
What do you want to see? Where do you want to go? Are you in it just for the flights or also the destinations?
I want to see everything of course!

Jokes aside, I'd be starting in the South Pacific (NAN-AKL-SYD), then heading to Asia (HYD), then to S. Africa, then to Europe (BER) then to North America (SFO), then to South America (GEG) then back to NAN.

I'll probably purchase revenue tickets for flights within NA, to HNL and possibly to NAS etc. Any suggestions on how to maximize within these points would be appreciated.
Old Apr 1, 11, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer View Post
then to South America (GEG)
Spokane is nice, but you probably mean GIG.

With that itinerary you're going to have a lot of C flights. There simply isn't as much F coverage in the S. Pacific (NZ doesn't have it) or S. America (JJ does but not a ton of availability). Based on this it might make sense to only redeem in C. I'm not sure it is worth it to pay 60K extra point just for one or two flights in F over C. Actually, I'm sure that I wouldn't having made a similar mistake back when CO considered BF "F" for SkyTeam RTW awards. HUGE mistake on my part.

Also keep in mind that you have to move in the same direction the whole time. So if you start in NAN and your stops are SYD, HYD, JNB, BER, SFO and GIG you cannot do them in that order. You would have to do GIG then SFO.

If you do decide to go for F I'd look for TG flights for SYD-BKK-HYD. You can have up to 23:59 in BKK on the layover if you want an extra city on that deal.

From HYD to S. Africa you can either take SA (I quite enjoyed their Y product; trying C later this summer) or try to route via Europe. Not sure it is worth the extra travel time though it should be a valid routing if you want that and can find F seats.

S. Africa to Berlin will be a tough F seat to find. You'll need to avoid the LH 388 (no awards for partners) but there are a number of other options. Most of them top out in C (MS, TK, SA) but there is LX, too, if you can find the seats. As it is a CO award you can also include VS in the itinerary but that, too, is C.

Germany to S. America has some F seats on LH if you can find them. There's also JJ again but they are a harder seat to find often.

S. America to N. America has AC & CO (max out in C) along with JJ & UA for F options. There's also Copa but probably not worth it if you can avoid it.

Finally, NAN is pretty hard to get to on *A. CO is pulling the HNL/GUM flight later this year leaving the AKL connection as the only option. That's gonna hurt a bit as you stalk NZ long-haul seats (again, C only).
Old Apr 1, 11, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Sbm12 you are awesome!!! I thank you deeply thank you for your generosity and wisdom. Can I have you come along?
Old Apr 2, 11, 8:02 am

Can I have you come along?
If you've got miles to spare, I'm sure I can make room in my schedule.
Old Apr 2, 11, 8:17 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Sbm12 you are awesome!!! I thank you deeply thank you for your generosity and wisdom. Can I have you come along?
Yes, I think he will accept to be a paid-RTW-organizing-guide.
ANd you only need the miles to pay for a C / F seat for him.
Old Apr 2, 11, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat
If you've got miles to spare, I'm sure I can make room in my schedule.
I am waiting to buy your book if it ever comes out.

Last edited by bruceba; Apr 3, 11 at 11:22 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 11, 11, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Open jaws on RTW

How many openjaws are allowed on RTW award tickets booked on CO miles.
Old Jun 11, 11, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

How would one go from MEL to SYD? Is there a way to do this without having to go through New Zealand (AKL, WLG, CHC) first?
Old Jun 11, 11, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
I've been searching FT looking for info on a RTW option I saw a while back...

I remember seeig a thread about doing a RTW trip with either AC or LH going from the USA to ASIA, and they would allow routing both directions (across the pacific and then return thru europe) and they would allow one stop-over each way.

You could do a RTW hitting cities for the price of a J ticket to Asia.

Any one know the details on how to book this. CO.com won't show me the routings I'm looking for.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Jun 11, 11 at 4:56 pm
Old Jun 11, 11, 9:51 pm

How many openjaws are allowed on RTW award tickets booked on CO miles.
AFAIK it is as many as you want (up to the 6 stops) though each counts as a segment against the 16 you're allowed.
How would one go from MEL to SYD? Is there a way to do this without having to go through New Zealand (AKL, WLG, CHC) first?
Buy a separate ticket. Although UA flies the route as a tag-on I know they cannot sell that as a separate trip and I'm 99% certain that applies to award trips if the agent is paying attention to the rules. I've read scattered reports that suggest it can be used on an award ticket when connecting onward international flight but I'm not sure if that can add a stop along the way or only be used for a connection.
Originally Posted by bajrbajr View Post
I've been searching FT looking for info on a RTW option I saw a while back...

I remember seeig a thread about doing a RTW trip with either AC or LH going from the USA to ASIA, and they would allow routing both directions (across the pacific and then return thru europe) and they would allow one stop-over each way.

You could do a RTW hitting cities for the price of a J ticket to Asia.

Any one know the details on how to book this. CO.com won't show me the routings I'm looking for.
You're likely talking about the AC Mini-RTW award. You'd need Aeroplan miles to book that.
Old Jun 11, 11, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

AFAIK it is as many as you want (up to the 6 stops) though each counts as a segment against the 16 you're allowed.

Buy a separate ticket. Although UA flies the route as a tag-on I know they cannot sell that as a separate trip and I'm 99% certain that applies to award trips if the agent is paying attention to the rules. I've read scattered reports that suggest it can be used on an award ticket when connecting onward international flight but I'm not sure if that can add a stop along the way or only be used for a connection..
THANK YOU sbm12!!! I am booking 3 RTW, so please kindly stay tuned for some more questions.

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Jun 11, 11 at 10:20 pm
Old Jun 11, 11, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
I was able to price out CLE-HKG (connection in MUC), then open-jaw return SIN-CLE. priced at 150k miles most segments in F.
purchasing the ticket from HKG-SIN is only $110.

Earlier threads I read said calling to make changes, (such as a stop-over in MUC) might draw attention to the routing and get it cancelled.
Old Jun 11, 11, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bajrbajr View Post
I was able to price out CLE-HKG (connection in MUC), then open-jaw return SIN-CLE. priced at 150k miles most segments in F.
purchasing the ticket from HKG-SIN is only $110.

Earlier threads I read said calling to make changes, (such as a stop-over in MUC) might draw attention to the routing and get it cancelled.
You know you can get a RTW with 280K, right?

Search this Thread