Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA NOT a UA fan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
FA NOT a UA fan

Just returned from an overnight trip to SAN via IAH...and was most surprised to hear (loudly) a male FA badmouthing UA services (e.g., "Let me help you with that bag, while we're still allowed to." and "I'll be happy to get your coat for you, at least until we're under the new regime.") More comments about how he would offer CO's level of service for as long as he could, but that it would be going straight to hell shortly (my words, not his).

As a brand new CO Plat, but a long time UA PE, I was really disappointed in the attitude. If you're not happy, discuss it in private - not in F with a bunch of folks like me who don't want to hear your complaints at 5:30 am. I have lived long enough to know there are exceptionally good and exceptionally bad people in every field - and with every employer. On the whole, I have been treated pretty darn well by both UA and CO personnel...and the exceptions have been individuals who take their unhappiness out on those around them.

Just had to vent...
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Man, it must be hard to work in an environment where nearly everything you say might be overheard by customers. But still, that is just unprofessional crap.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Man, it must be hard to work in an environment where nearly everything you say might be overheard by customers. But still, that is just unprofessional crap.
In this case as the OP indicates, the FA was making mention specifically when talking to the customers - not simply "overheard by customers".

Kinda of a bummer to be around people like that in general.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Definitely unprofessional.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by psfcfa
Just returned from an overnight trip to SAN via IAH...and was most surprised to hear (loudly) a male FA badmouthing UA services (e.g., "Let me help you with that bag, while we're still allowed to." and "I'll be happy to get your coat for you, at least until we're under the new regime.") More comments about how he would offer CO's level of service for as long as he could, but that it would be going straight to hell shortly (my words, not his).

As a brand new CO Plat, but a long time UA PE, I was really disappointed in the attitude. If you're not happy, discuss it in private - not in F with a bunch of folks like me who don't want to hear your complaints at 5:30 am. I have lived long enough to know there are exceptionally good and exceptionally bad people in every field - and with every employer. On the whole, I have been treated pretty darn well by both UA and CO personnel...and the exceptions have been individuals who take their unhappiness out on those around them.

Just had to vent...

I think the FA's behavior was perfectly acceptable. While not professional by any means, what can you expect from nearly two decades of C management puffing them up, telling them how great they are, then merging them with some other COmpany that is a less worthy entity? And not just any airline, they're merging with UA, an airline that was described as having AIDS by a former CO CEO.

No doubt this FA is not alone. I'm sure there are more than a few who think that whatever is happening is a net degradation to service. What's funny is that many of them likely are not familiar with PMUA, possibly even never flew them recently.

For me, I'd just enjoy the entertainment. It may be one of the last "Rah! Rah! We're the Best!" type outbursts we see before the dysfunctional CO self-gratification culture goes extinct.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by channa
I think the FA's behavior was perfectly acceptable. While not professional by any means, what can you expect from nearly two decades of C management puffing them up, telling them how great they are, then merging them with some other COmpany that is a less worthy entity? And not just any airline, they're merging with UA, an airline that was described as having AIDS by a former CO CEO.

No doubt this FA is not alone. I'm sure there are more than a few who think that whatever is happening is a net degradation to service. What's funny is that many of them likely are not familiar with PMUA, possibly even never flew them recently.

For me, I'd just enjoy the entertainment. It may be one of the last "Rah! Rah! We're the Best!" type outbursts we see before the dysfunctional CO self-gratification culture goes extinct.
Now, please don't sugarcoat this issue, channa.....

Just tell us how you really feel.......

Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
"Let me help you with that bag, while we're still allowed to."
Correct. IIRC, the collective bargaining agreements with the UA FA's prohibit the handling of passengers carry-on bags.

"I'll be happy to get your coat for you, at least until we're under the new regime."
Incorrect. For passengers in F and C, the current UA policy is that FA's are required to offer to hang your coat in the closet or on the coat hooks. IIRC, while passengers are permitted to hang their own coats on the coat hooks, they are not permitted to place coats the closets by themselves.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Now, please don't sugarcoat this issue, channa.....

Just tell us how you really feel.......

Not sure I understand the intent of your post. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me that this type of behavior is a byproduct of CO's management style? Or do you just not like the fact that I said it?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warreng24
Correct.

Incorrect.
The issue is not about being COrrect or inCOrrect. The issue is about perception. CO is perceived to be better in the eyes of the CO CO-workers. It doesn't matter if what comes out of their mouth is accurate or not. These types think they're better, period.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by channa
The issue is not about being COrrect or inCOrrect. The issue is about perception. CO is perceived to be better in the eyes of the CO CO-workers. It doesn't matter if what comes out of their mouth is accurate or not. These types think they're better, period.
Yes we do like to think that we work for a better COmpany and that we are better.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfogate
Yes we do like to think that we work for a better COmpany and that we are better.

Not just better, the best!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
I would of happliy discussed it with the F/A in OP post. By the time we were done with our converstion we both be LOL at PMUA and had a better start to our day

Whenever I think of PMUA I think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqjSGuwHH8A
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:20 pm

I had a similar experience on an Air Canada flight once. The FA couldn't say enough bad things about the company. I mean, everyone has looked at their own job and wondered "how their employer possibly thinks ____________(insert what ever here) this is a good idea" Maybe even make a small joke once in front of clients.

But to go on and on about it, thats too much.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:40 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
How ironic that this FA's comments are making CO look really bad....not UA.

Last edited by Ericka; Mar 25, 2011 at 4:58 pm
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
[QUOTE=channa;16101849] And not just any airline, they're merging with UA, an airline that was described as having AIDS by a former CO CEO.

so was gordo wrong? this was back in the day when the ua pilots were using overtime to leverage a better payscale. refusing to work overtime forcing hundreds and hundreds of flights to be cancelled. how many cancelled flights did you have back then. i think the pilots ran off all their business customers. and then 9-11 hit. i don't know how ua survived. i still can't connect that with a FA in a bad mood.

Last edited by bearkatt; Mar 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.