FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Day 1 as a lead FA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1190972-day-1-lead-fa.html)

colpuck Mar 4, 2011 11:51 pm

Day 1 as a lead FA

I was working EWR-SXM. SXM is generally one of my favorite destinations. The people on the plane are generally nice, going to have good time, and of course escape the winter weather that plagues this area.

After the pre-boarding meeting with the other stews, we signaled the GA that we were ready to begin boarding. During the pre-departure I generally stand at the head of the plane and greet our customers as they come in. This allows me to get a sense of the passengers and address any boarding issues, luggage, wheelchairs, ect. There weren't any luggage issues as this was a warm-weather flight and I didn't notice any boarding issues save one.

Mid-way through boarding I heard the chime and noticed that passenger about mid-cabin had activated his service light. The other FA was serving drinks and the two in Y were in the back galley making sure the flight was properly loaded. I went down there to investigate.

Apparently the passenger in the aisle seat had reclined his seat into the passenger behind him. Personally I could careless about such issues until the door is closed. (Did I mention I am not getting paid at this moment in time. I don't get paid until the door closes.). The passengers were getting into a heating argument over this issue. I couldn't make heads or tails of the situation. Then the passenger in the forward seat cursed. I don't know if he was drunk, high or both. All I know was I had a disturbance and passengers respective wives look mortified. The the passenger decided to get short with me.

Now I have to be able to give directions and not be contradicted. This means when I give direction people either comply or they are removed. This person, the one who cursed, was given the choice; calm down or be removed.

Thankfully, he calmed down. Removing people makes the plane late.

I really don't get paid enough for this.

pdog02 Mar 5, 2011 12:01 am

It was the best of threads, it was the worst of threads,it was the thread of wisdom, it was the thread of foolishness.......

I think two cities is enough, do we really need three?

snod08 Mar 5, 2011 12:16 am

Good to hear Colpuck's version.

Now we have a thread each from all the three involved persons.

ande777emt Mar 5, 2011 12:37 am

Kudos to the FA for alleviating the situation. I hope the new United retains and promotes people like him.

gawhite411 Mar 5, 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by snod08 (Post 15978503)
Good to hear Colpuck's version.

Right. Interestingly, two of the stories are consistent and clearly indicate that the party who called another passenger an obscenity is culpable. The third story is not credible in light of the compelling evidence offered by the other two stories.

hughw Mar 5, 2011 7:05 am

somehow, I suspect we have another jokester in our midst.

snod08 Mar 5, 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by hughw (Post 15979436)
somehow, I suspect we have another jokester in our midst.

Never thought about that:D
....naughty :rolleyes:puck.

rggale Mar 5, 2011 9:59 am

LOL this is great

theblakefish Mar 5, 2011 10:13 am

This thread = pure awesomeness... :D

cheepneezy Mar 5, 2011 10:20 am

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 15978418)
Now I have to be able to give directions and not be contradicted. This means when I give direction people either comply or they are removed. This person, the one who cursed, was given the choice; calm down or be removed.

Thankfully, he calmed down. Removing people makes the plane late.

I really don't get paid enough for this.

Where's the like button when you really need one?:D:-:^

Richard Chen Mar 5, 2011 10:55 am

tale of 2 passengers

I find the tale of 2 passengers & now a FA to be suspicious.

reinballe Mar 5, 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by snod08 (Post 15978503)

Getting more than one side of the story can be good, useful, and even amusing .... in particular if some of them are made up... E.g.

Originally Posted by usa18dca (Post 14074797)
Not a Rant, nor Jealousy...Just stating the Facts

I was on CO19 LHR-EWR last night in 8F, so if whoever was in 7C is a FlyerTalker, you know who I am...

CO19 had no passriders at all so it couldn't be that...There was no equipment swap so it couldn't be that...no one was downgraded either, so it couldn't be that either at all...I cannot understand why would the crew give someone a BusinessFirst Meal to 7C (It was a Chicken Meal, so it couldn't be a dietary reason either!!), I agree it is rude but I had to take a picture of the appalling fact that someone who flies in Y can receive BusinessFirst service without paying for it. My seatmates were in shock as well when they noticed the luxurious gentlemen who was so kind to keep flirting and brown nosing the flight attendants as they did their rounds received better service than anyone nearby...

So if you're the luxurious and lascivious gentlemen in 7C and you're reading this...all I have to say is shame on you for ruining what would have been an ordinary continental transatlantic experience for your other 155 passengers in tourist class, you will have to tell the FlyerTalk community your methods and secrets because behavior like that will not go unrewarded nor unpunished, what the crew did was absolutely wrong. Will Continental do something about it? Maybe...Maybe Not...Who knows but what I do know is you absolutely ruined the flight for the other passengers in steerage when we were waiting for the water/orange juice service you had to admonish the nice lady next to you for asking about the water when you got a refill of your wine in a wine glass in economy ...

So all I have to say is Drink away mate! The drinks are on me until Continental is onto your shenanigans onboard their flights! I've already contacted the appropriate departments at Continental and I am sure they will take care of you in the future and anyone who serves you extravagantly on board in view of other passengers!

and the other perspective:

Originally Posted by Guyin7C
I had a hilarious experience flying back from London yesterday.

Before boarding, there was this funny guy who went up to the GA and reminded her of the boarding procedure. I could not quite hear what he said, but I think he was upset that elites had been allowed to board simultaneously with BF on his outbound flight.

We board and I take my assigned 7C seat, and see that the guy is in the row behind me. He was busy reclining the seats to check if the reclining angle is the same, and he took out a ruler and measured the length of the seat belts in his row. So far everything seemed to measure up.

But it did not take him long to find a serious flaw. The vent above him appeared to have less airflow than the one next to him, and he called the FA to let her know. After some discussion and further analysis, he let her know that he would not file an official complaint because he reading light offered some compensation. Apparently it was a little brighter.

After takeoff I went to the restroom, and ran into the FA he had complained to. We had a laugh about the episode, and I jokingly said "I am sure that he will explode if you let me sit in first". She laughed and said "Sorry, it is full, but I'll bring you a BF meal... just to see what happens". And she did....So I ended up with BF service..

If 8F is a member of flyertalk, and reading this, I want to sincerely thank you very much.... I am sorry that you appeared to be in shock when I got a glass of wine. As the meal... it was great!.
One more thing - just a piece of advice - Leave the ruler behind when you go to the restroom... at least hide in a pocket or something, and look less sad as you return to your seat.

Thunderroad Mar 5, 2011 11:49 am

FA on a power trip...Is this what's in store for UA/CO?

[Mistakenly posted here. See separate thread.]

kingalien Mar 5, 2011 12:40 pm

Just "roll" with it. ;)

mre5765 Mar 5, 2011 1:41 pm

delete