Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status Purchase - Survey

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:45 pm
ufo
Original Poster

Elite Status Purchase - Survey

I thought it might be interesting to understand who CO offered Elite 'Buy up' to this week, and what circumstances and terms were.

For me, I flew ~60k EQM's in 2010 (I delayed a 30 EQM trip from Dec to the first week of Jan, otherwise I would have re-qualified for Platinum)

They offered me Plat for 2011 for $795

What offers did others get in the mail this week?

I didn't think $795 for missing by 15k EQM was that bad. It would have cost me a lot more to do a mileage run or buying the miles through the maximizer. However, Platinum has almost zero benefit to me over gold, so I wont be taking them up on the offer.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Bad News

As if the Elite benefits haven't been devalued enough

now they are "clearance sale" selling status

Just 1 more ominous signs of things to come
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are going to conduct a survey like this you need to collect the other rather important bit of data - annual spend on CO. Without that you're missing one of the major factors in how they've historically handed out those offers.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:08 am

My wife flew about 10K last year with CO and they offered her Silver for $395.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Wow

Originally Posted by skimple
My wife flew about 10K last year with CO and they offered her Silver for $395.
Like a last gasp fire sale

I rest my case your honor
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
Like a last gasp fire sale

I rest my case your honor
If those 10K EQMs were on high fares then it isn't so ridiculous. Someone flying 2 transcon B fares r/t would likely have given CO more money than I did for my 100K EQMs. When that customer is more valuable to the company than I am I do not see the problem in the company expressing that.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This smells just like US
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This smells just like US
No more callers, we have a winner.

This, along with getting rid of the pretzel dust in Y, is exactly that kind of product degradation that destroyed US.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Seriously - at least UA is making you fly serious miles (along with paying some cash) if you are truly dedicated to recapturing a higher status level.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Seriously - at least UA is making you fly serious miles (along with paying some cash) if you are truly dedicated to recapturing a higher status level.
Anything for a buck. Soon whY will have ads on the tray tables the way US does.

What really bothers me about the incremental fees (apart from their general tackiness -- like CO's charging for drinks in F) is they pick fees in a such a fashion that is illogical. For example -- they want incremental revenue from bags. Okay. So instead of smartly charging for carryons and thus encouraging people to check bags, they do the opposite. This leads to horribly crowded overhead bins, numerous gate checks, and a slow down in turning planes. CO could get the same revenue but create an incentive structure that actually helped operations by reducing turn time if they incentivized people to check bags.

If you're going to be a cheap whore, at least be a clever one.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
If those 10K EQMs were on high fares then it isn't so ridiculous. Someone flying 2 transcon B fares r/t would likely have given CO more money than I did for my 100K EQMs. When that customer is more valuable to the company than I am I do not see the problem in the company expressing that.

If that customer is so valuable, why not bump him up anyway (and quietly) in the hopes of locking in the future business?

I don't find the logic in trying to shake down more cash from a valuable customer. There's a risk they'll take offense to it, and it could backfire.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Anything for a buck. Soon whY will have ads on the tray tables the way US does.

What really bothers me about the incremental fees (apart from their general tackiness -- like CO's charging for drinks in F) is they pick fees in a such a fashion that is illogical. For example -- they want incremental revenue from bags. Okay. So instead of smartly charging for carryons and thus encouraging people to check bags, they do the opposite. This leads to horribly crowded overhead bins, numerous gate checks, and a slow down in turning planes. CO could get the same revenue but create an incentive structure that actually helped operations by reducing turn time if they incentivized people to check bags.

Besides the higher fares business travelers generally pay, have you ever tried to separate a business traveler with their roll aboard?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by channa
If that customer is so valuable, why not bump him up anyway (and quietly) in the hopes of locking in the future business?

I don't find the logic in trying to shake down more cash from a valuable customer. There's a risk they'll take offense to it, and it could backfire.
This can go either way. Just giving someone something that they didn't earn might also backfire. They might come to expect that the rules don't really apply to them and expect to get more freebies in the future. That may have a net negative effect. Or they might take the freebies for granted and not actually show any loyalty.

By having the customer pay a (relatively) trivial amount you've now had them make an investment in the partnership that you're trying to build with them. They have a reason to be loyal to you and you to them.

I don't know which is the "right" approach and my guess is that it depends per customer, but there are definitely (at least) two sides to it.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UnitedEF
Besides the higher fares business travelers generally pay, have you ever tried to separate a business traveler with their roll aboard?
Fees do not and would not apply to elites. They are not the problem.

Yes elites have roll aboards (frankly I think if it needs wheels it shouldn't be a carryon but that fight was passed long ago). But if non elites had no carryons there would be enough room for the elites who are the only ones who matter.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up Funny

Originally Posted by gawhite411
LOL ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.