Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I nearly got thrown off a CO flight for saying this;

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I nearly got thrown off a CO flight for saying this;

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
[QUOTE=gawhite411;15971983]
Originally Posted by ONTRandy
And, yes, I am former law enforcement, but I think I'm being pretty objective here.

QUOTE]

Blue wall of silence strikes again.

I've reviewed the evidence above and I find the OP to have gotten off easy. Reclining when on the ground is obnoxious and calling a passenger an obsecenity loudly enough to attract the attention of a harredd FA during the controlled chaos that is boarding is 100% unacceptable and indicates a SEVERE temperment issue. Frankly, the OP should have been evicted from the flight and met by law enforcement (not his buddyies either) at the gate for nice trip to the clink.
Ha! Thats funny.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:31 pm

Kicking the seat is out of line, too... if you think the OP should be kicked off the flight, then the people kicking the seat should also be kicked off the flight.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
After reading the first few posts, I also believe the OP is at fault. I wish the airlines would forbid reclining after boarding. I have had people in front of me drop down immediately after boarding in front of me and it interferes with me setting up my stuff.

However, I agree the person behind is wrong to kick the chair. I have kindly asked the people in front of me to move up so I can get into my seat and unpack myself and have never been refused.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I have the utmost respect for law enforcement and am loath (in the extreme) to criticize them for anything, but the OP was way out of line here. The appropriate response to the seat kicking would have been to politely alert an FA and let them handle it.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
How about reclining just partially, or asking pre-emptively if the person would be bothered if you reclined? Might have made this go easier.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:20 pm

I never recline prior to take-off, unless no personis in the row behind me. The seat kicking is unacceptable.

Back in 1992 on a flight from EWR-Oslo, in business on A CO award, the woman behind me would not let me fully recline on the overnight flight. I did not complain, but people should keep within their bounds.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The term passive aggressive behavior comes to mind.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by bernoulli 777
go on the offensive, do not be offensive.
love it!

^^
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: Delta 360, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Kicking the seat and not asking to put it forward is just wrong. But the OP made it worse.

Unfortunately when flying we are forced into a very small space where every inch becomes precious. It's not comfortable, especially for us Americans. It's a time when extreme patience and "sucking it up" is required. It's not about who is right or wrong but how to get along. Once you leave the plane you can take a breathe and never have to see the same folks again.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
]

I suspect the OP here needs an attitude correction in general - even the posts demanding the thread be closed indicates an inability to comprehend that whatever on-the-job authority they may have does not extend off-the-job.
+1. In fact, on the basis of that clearly adduced evidence, I feel comfortable concluding that the seat kicking likely was not the first step in the process. I am pretty sure there was a polite request by the passenger behind that was not honored and OP is simply a liar.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by channa
I'm surprised no one has commented on the professional handling of the situation by the FA.

The FA managed to keep the peace despite the challenging characters on board.

A hearty Rah! Rah! to the CO crew for handling this in such a professional manner! ^
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
You were *both* as bad as each other, and I don't blame the FA in this situation in the least. Reclining before take off? Come on - unnecessary. Consideration, even for jerks, costs nothing. You acted badly, got called over it and now don't like it. I can't imagine what you might expect as a result of this behaviour from people both on board the aircraft at the time, and on this board.

Last edited by colmc; Mar 4, 2011 at 3:13 am
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:11 am

I don't know about the OP's overall behavior, but I find it obnoxious when passengers try to increase their living area by reclining the seat for long periods, typically 5 seconds after takeoff until 5 seconds before touchdown. Starting this before takeoff is rude.

I try to follow the general rule that I recline only when I have a reasonable attempt at nodding off where the full upright position is difficult. Any time my reading light is on for eating, working or reading, I'm probably not reclined, giving the passenger behind some space. It's not always about me.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by channa
I'm surprised no one has commented on the professional handling of the situation by the FA.

The FA managed to keep the peace despite the challenging characters on board.

A hearty Rah! Rah! to the CO crew for handling this in such a professional manner! ^
LOL!!!
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:37 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Loose lips sink ships. That's why the FA threatened to deboard the OP, especially if OP has the potential to be irate for the remainder of the flight, regardless of who's at fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.